87 (24.4%)
Outrageous!  Some holidays should be sacred
210 (58.8%)
Undecided
1 (0.3%)
Other
19 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Author Topic: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day  (Read 18404 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #240 on: December 03, 2013, 10:02:50 AM »
The local news and Facebook had videos of shoppers being pepper sprayed at one of our Walmarts.

This may be the last year I deal with WM and their inconsistent Black Thursday/Friday deals but that is for another thread. 

I got the one most important thing on my list and it was for my grand kids (and I got it online).  Then I did the Saturday Local Vendors shopping.

Another Sarah

« Reply #241 on: December 03, 2013, 10:16:42 AM »
I was horrified this year to see Asda (UK Supermarket which used to be ASsociated DAiries but was taken over by Wal-Mart a few years ago) advertising Black Friday deals. We have the January sales for people to get murdered over a three-armed jumper in, we don't need another day. :'(

perpetua

« Reply #242 on: December 03, 2013, 10:33:28 AM »
I was horrified this year to see Asda (UK Supermarket which used to be ASsociated DAiries but was taken over by Wal-Mart a few years ago) advertising Black Friday deals. We have the January sales for people to get murdered over a three-armed jumper in, we don't need another day. :'(

Me too. People were injured and arrested in Bristol over cheap TVs, for goodness' sake. I actually can't believe that it's found its way over here and I'm hoping to goodness it's only because Asda is owned by Walmart, and that other retailers don't follow suit, and that Asda quickly realise what a dreadful concept it is and drop it pronto.

I love many things about our American friends. Black Friday is not one of them. The whole concept is something I find absolutely hideous - at least the idea of the doorbuster deals. It's just a hideous display of awful grabbing materialism. If it takes off here, I may consider emigrating to a small(er) island somewhere :)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #243 on: December 03, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »

Me too. People were injured and arrested in Bristol over cheap TVs, for goodness' sake. I actually can't believe that it's found its way over here and I'm hoping to goodness it's only because Asda is owned by Walmart, and that other retailers don't follow suit, and that Asda quickly realise what a dreadful concept it is and drop it pronto.

I love many things about our American friends. Black Friday is not one of them. The whole concept is something I find absolutely hideous - at least the idea of the doorbuster deals. It's just a hideous display of awful grabbing materialism. If it takes off here, I may consider emigrating to a small(er) island somewhere :)

To put the door buster deals into perspective, many retailers used them to entice customers into their stores earlier in the day instead of waiting until prime shopping hours.

For example, Macy's Department store will have "door buster" deals throughout the year when they have major sales. So if you come into the store say before 11am, you might get an additional 20% off a set of cookware. Or they might have specific sweaters on sale for 60% off the retail price.  Even with Black Friday shopping, major toy stores might have sales for the early bird shopper. It was an effort to increase crowds from 8am store opening to mid day which was when most shoppers headed out to the stores and malls. It was no different from theaters offering "matinee" pricing for shows. Offer a discount for when less people would normally attend a movie to maybe entice them to go to a show at 4pm versus the more popular 8pm showing.

So having items marked down for a specific time period isn't a "hideous display of awful grabbing materialism" in my opinion. The people who resort to violence to be able to score one of these heavily advertised deals that Walmart promotes for Black Friday are the ones guilty of "hideous display of awful grabbing materialism".

perpetua

« Reply #244 on: December 03, 2013, 01:03:19 PM »
So having items marked down for a specific time period isn't a "hideous display of awful grabbing materialism" in my opinion. The people who resort to violence to be able to score one of these heavily advertised deals that Walmart promotes for Black Friday are the ones guilty of "hideous display of awful grabbing materialism".

Yes, quite. That's exactly what I was referring to.

From what I read, Asda did the same thing here. They huge deals on TVs, but only had 25 or thereabouts in stock. It was total carnage.