87 (24.4%)
Outrageous!  Some holidays should be sacred
210 (58.8%)
Undecided
1 (0.3%)
Other
19 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Author Topic: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day  (Read 17607 times)

LeveeWoman

Re: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2013, 11:37:18 PM »
Whatever you think of Thanksgiving, DON'T LITTER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjKF7aQthcQ&feature=related

Altarrose

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2013, 12:16:30 AM »
Personally I am looking at things from a different angle. I work at a small office and have Thanksgiving Day off. This is not a choice. I am just off, receive no holiday pay and have to adjust my budget due to a holiday that really isn't that important to me. My husband and I live far from any family, are vegetarian and strive to spend every day possible together embracing gratitude for what we have. I can very much see where people might rather work Thanksgiving and earn wages. I don't think anyone should ever be forced to work during a holiday that is important to them but I do wish I had that choice through my employer.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2013, 12:31:54 AM »
I don't have to work at my theater on Thanksgiving, but it will be open. My co - workers will have a Thanksgiving feast that people can have when they're on break, which is nice, but Black Friday madness at the mall where the theater is starts at 8 o'clock Thanksgiving. I have no words which are polite for how I feel about that.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

sweetonsno

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2013, 01:31:08 AM »
I'm one of the indifferent folks.

Yes, I fall firmly in camp "threatening to fire people for not working on a holiday is wrong." However, I'm also firmly in camp "implying that people cannot or should not work on Thanksgiving is wrong."

I'm surprised at how few previous posters have pointed out that not everyone is going to be celebrating Thanksgiving. I will be, but I made plans less than a week ago. I usually spend Thanksgiving with family. The only two times that I haven't before are when I was working abroad and when I decided to stay in my college town instead of dealing with a daylong commute.

While I do understand the "outrageous" sentiments, I think they are kind of misguided. I think it's idealistic to assume that all retail employees have somewhere else that they want to be, or that they don't want or need the money.

Basically, I think taking the stance that nobody should work on Thanksgiving is sort of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2013, 03:18:13 AM »
Is this a new thing? I'm Canadian and stores have been open on Thanksgiving for years.

I voted "outrageous" not because I think it's outrageous, but because I agree that stores should be closed some days. When I was in retail, Christmas and New Year's Day were always closed. Now, just about everything is open New Year's Day. I hate that, because it used to be such a pleasant, quiet day, with only a few things open, but mostly just people out for walks doing whatever, and as a retail employee, it was one day I could count on during the holidays to not be scheduled to work and I could do what I wanted (because Christmas had family obligations and was rather frantic). I wouldn't be surprised if Christmas is next.

I do remember when the store I worked at decided that instead of closing at 6 PM on Thanksgiving, it would close at 8. (Normal days it was open to 10). I thought that was a pretty rude thing for them to do to us. So many of us had to race home to get the lukewarm scraps of our dinners just as everyone else was finishing, or families at home very hungry and waiting for us. I'll never forget one customer, right at 8 PM:

Coworker: "Excuse me ma'am, we're closing."
Customer: "You're closing? Already?"
Coworkers: ""Yes, I'm afraid so. Gotta get home to our turkey dinners!"
Customer: "Oh no, it's OK, we've already had it."
Coworker (to me, after): "No, I meant OURS!!"

perpetua

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2013, 05:56:39 AM »
I have mixed feelings on this, and we don't do Thanksgiving here so I'm basing my opinion on Christmas day.

On the one hand, nobody *needs* to be shopping for the latest must have gadget or whatever on a big holiday. It won't kill people not to feed corporate machines for one day out of a year.

On the other, I am grateful that some shops that sell essentials are open.

On the subject of working: Retail workers generally know when they sign up for it that they're going to have to work weekends, holidays, etc. It goes with the territory. So to complain about it at a later stage seems a bit much, although having it sprung on you at the last minute when you didn't think you were going to have to, as per Ehelldame's example, is really unfair.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas/Thanksgiving, and to tell the people that don't that they *can't* work and earn extra to pay for essentials, just because your family might have beliefs that they shouldn't, is wrong. That for me falls under 'imposing your values on someone else' and - no.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2013, 07:51:46 AM »
Another point that just occurred to me - around here a significant percent of shoppers are Canadian.  I don't know that they would venture out to Wal-Mart or Best Buy but even on a regular weekend you can expect that a significant portion of sales involve Canadians. When there are big sales by several stores,  even more people make the trip. Since Thursday is not the Canadian Thankgiving. I wouldn't wonder why they aren't with their families or observing the holiday.

Green Bean

« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2013, 08:15:17 AM »
I have mixed feelings on this, and we don't do Thanksgiving here so I'm basing my opinion on Christmas day.

On the one hand, nobody *needs* to be shopping for the latest must have gadget or whatever on a big holiday. It won't kill people not to feed corporate machines for one day out of a year.

Perpetua, would you think differently if, instead of some shops open to sell essentials, stores started opening on Christmas with their Boxing Day sales? From what I understand of Boxing Day, I think that may be a better comparison.

For me, I understand both sides. My family slways ate early in the day. i recall many evenings where, by 4-5 pm, the food was put away, the dishes were clean, and family was gone, and i was just bired looking for something to do. I have never awaken to go shopping at midnight, but 8pm the evening before could work.
While I've never worked retail, I have worked on the home office side for a major retailer. I understand the pressure they are under to deliver sales this time of year, because for many of them, as much as half their annual sales will take place in the next several weeks. I'm also happy that mine chose not to open on Thanksgiving, and currently has no plans to do so until they "have to".

perpetua

« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2013, 09:02:29 AM »

Perpetua, would you think differently if, instead of some shops open to sell essentials, stores started opening on Christmas with their Boxing Day sales? From what I understand of Boxing Day, I think that may be a better comparison.

I'm not sure what your point is there, Green Bean. I'm agreeing with you. I *don't* see the point of the big stores being open on a holiday. People don't need to go out and buy an Xbox or whatever on Xmas day/Thanksgiving day

But on the other hand, I don't think people who *do* want to work should be prevented from doing so just because some people think those days should be sacred.

HGolightly

« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »
I can see that if the staff working on a holiday were,being compensated with a higher wage that day but that is not the case.  The decision makers will be enjoying a lovely meal with their family without a second thought other than wondering how much money their company is making that day. Unless your state has fair wage laws, the staff will not be compensated with anything other than their usual wage and a long, exhausting day of unreasonable demanding customers.  To compare those that sell electronics, clothes etc to those who also work on the holidays to provide essential services is ludicrous.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »
This thread has made me stop and think about why I feel so strongly that retail workers, because it is mostly retail workers that we are discussing here, should get Thanksgiving off. All of it, which means they shouldn't have to come in at 8 pm or 10 pm to get the store ready for a midnight opening or whatever.

Back in the 1960s, when I was a small child, most stores were closed on Sundays. Not supermarkets and drug stores necessarily, but most retail stores. Malls were completely closed. (In fact, mall parking lots were where parents took teenagers learning to drive to practice, because they were large and empty on Sundays, but had lanes and parking spaces to practice driving skills with.) Most retail stores were also closed on holidays, such as Veterans' Day and Memorial Day and 4th of July, in addition to New Year's, Thanksgiving and Christmas. In Massachusetts, the "blue laws" that kept many stores closed on Sundays lasted until some time in the 1990s.

So, first stores were opened on Sundays. Then they were open on the "minor" holidays like Presidents' Day and Columbus Day. Then on more major days like New Years and 4th of July.

The result is that I've been seeing a decreasing amount of time off on weekends and holidays for retail workers. When you add in their ever-changing shifts, having to badger customers for store loyalty or credit cards, being forced into saying stupid things to their customers (a drug store in my area is now forcing employees to say "Be well!" to everyone instead any sort of normal greeting and I'll bet no one at the corporate offices is running around Be Well-ing the rest of the staff), never knowing when the store is being secret-shopped, putting up with rude customers, and all the other indignities that retail staff puts up with, I just feel that the least they deserve is a day off. Preferably with pay.

What it boils down to, basically, is that I don't think retail jobs need to be the way they are. They could be much better, but people need those jobs and so they put up with poor treatment.

So on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, I will be grateful that they have jobs. And I will stay home, in silent protest that they don't get holidays.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

betty

« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »
I voted OTHER but I meant "I don't think stores that sell non-essential items should be open on Thanksgiving." It's one day a year. It's the only major non-religious holiday for which many people have family traditions. Let those who must work, work. Give everyone else one day off.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2013, 02:43:40 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ann-brenoff/stores-open-on-thanksgiving_b_4149893.html

While agree that many people do not mind working holidays, the author does not address retailers who make working the holiday a term of their employment which is the case for most retail employees. The author even ends by saying that once she became a mother she quit volunteering for the holiday shift. She's obviously not had family members who've missed a holiday been forced to leave the Thanksgiving table early because they had to get to work.

perpetua

« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2013, 02:52:22 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ann-brenoff/stores-open-on-thanksgiving_b_4149893.html

While agree that many people do not mind working holidays, the author does not address retailers who make working the holiday a term of their employment which is the case for most retail employees. The author even ends by saying that once she became a mother she quit volunteering for the holiday shift. She's obviously not had family members who've missed a holiday been forced to leave the Thanksgiving table early because they had to get to work.

I think this is a grey area, though. If you take a job knowing that part of the terms of your employment is you have to work holidays, then you don't get to complain about it later when you decide you'd rather have the day off.

If, on the other hand, it's sprung on you as a change in the terms, like what happened to Ehelldame's daughter, I agree that that's unfair.  Especially at such late notice when travel plans had already been made.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2013, 03:28:25 PM »
Yes, there are people who might want to work on holidays...people who are desperate for some extra cash, people with no families close by, but for each of them are 10 more who would love to spend time with their families on Thanksgiving.  There is absolutely no reason for the stores to be open on Thanksgiving..none, nada, zip, zilch zero.  There is all the shoppers who will be out Black Friday so close down for one stinking day..the world will not end and your bottom line will not suffer if you can't open until 5 am on Friday instead.  And while hospitals and other care type places that are 24/7 do pay extra for holidays (like my job), they also ask for people to volunteer for the shifts so the people who really do want to work, work and the people who don't, don't.  Retail, in my years of experience, do not get paid anything more than their regular hourly rate and have the threat of being fired if they don't come in on Thanksgiving..sorry little kids, you sit here alone and eat a turkey sandwich while mommy works minimum wage at Kmart because they couldn't wait 24 hours to offer that big screen tv (that they really don't have a lot of stock on) for a $50 savings .