87 (24.4%)
Outrageous!  Some holidays should be sacred
210 (58.8%)
Undecided
1 (0.3%)
Other
19 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Author Topic: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day  (Read 17013 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:40:13 AM »
http://www.ibtimes.com/stores-open-thanksgiving-day-2013-kohls-joins-macys-jc-penney-store-openings-black-friday-update

The above link has an article listing the stores that will be open on Thanksgiving Day.  About five years ago Brunhilde's sister commented "In a few years we'll be finishing our pumpkin pie and heading to the mall."  Which is now happening.

How do you feel about this?

Firecat

Re: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:45:47 AM »
I hate the idea. I have several friends who work retail, and to me it's bad enough that they have to work ridiculous hours on Black Friday. Let them have a holiday to themselves before the craziness really starts!

Of course, I tend not to go out on Black Friday, either, or if I do it's to some of the local shops not in major malls, because I'm just not that big on crowds.

gingerzing

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:48:28 AM »
Having worked retail, I am violently against it.  Retail worker -in the US -tend to only get two days off a year (Thanksgiving and Christmas). It is hard enough to schedule time off. 

Now that said, I marked other since I don't usually (almost never, but DH got me out 2 times in 6 years) shop Black Friday so I am certainly not going to shop on Thanksgiving. 

cwm

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:50:39 AM »
I hate the idea. I have several friends who work retail, and to me it's bad enough that they have to work ridiculous hours on Black Friday. Let them have a holiday to themselves before the craziness really starts!

Of course, I tend not to go out on Black Friday, either, or if I do it's to some of the local shops not in major malls, because I'm just not that big on crowds.

That is EXACTLY what my response is. I've never had to work Black Friday as a retail worker, but I have had to work in a retail store as a service worker. It's terrible. And if I was told that I had to come in on Thanksgiving itself and miss out on the chance to be with my family, well, that would seriously make me consider finding a job in another industry.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:53:04 AM »
I voted 'Outrageous' - not really because I think all holidays should be sacred but because it forces people who work retail into even more hours where they can't spend time with their own families locally, let alone get a chance to travel to see family.

We are starting to have Black Friday sales up here to compete with the US and keep shoppers at home but our equivalent to Black Friday would be Boxing Day.  I NEVER go shopping on Boxing Day - being mildly crowd phobic makes it so I'd rather go have a root canal than go shopping on Boxing Day.

If I'm together with family over holidays, I have no interest in going shopping.  I'd much rather go skiing or snowshoeing or for a walk or play cards or board games or just about anything other than shopping!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »
My thought is that a lot of people who aren't in retail work on Thanksgiving Day, too.  I'm really of two minds because on one side, any situation like this can get exploitive, but on the other I know a lot of people who would be happy to work on Thanksgiving Day for the extra pay.  So like many things, I don't see it as universally bad just because it's bad for some people.

Virg

AnnaJ

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »
I think it's abhorrent.  It would be different if this was a 'normal' shopping day where stores could have a skeleton crew of volunteers - I know there are always a few people with no particular plans or who would like the extra hours - but because of all of the 'big sales' employees don't have a choice, which is wrong.

Sounding older than dirt, I grew up at a time when businesses closed for major holidays...heck, the grocery stores closed early (noonish) for Memorial Day and Labor Day so their employees could join family and friends for picnics. 

A friend who grew up in a truly small town lived next to the town's grocery store; the owner left the store's key with her family on holidays, and everyone in town knew if they had a cooking emergency - drat, ran out of flour! - they could pick up the key, get what they needed, and pay after the holiday.

Bottlecaps

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 10:01:44 AM »
I think it's ridiculous. My uncle works at a grocery store, and he has to work on Thanksgiving Day. The schedule he has for that day means he may miss Thanksgiving dinner at my sister's house. :( And I know there are millions of other retail workers who are going to miss Thanksgiving dinner with their families too, and it makes me sick that so many stores put profits over people like that. :(

(Yes, this is the same uncle I was just complaining about in another thread - Uncle Chatterbox, as sweetonsno dubbed him, LOL. Love the nickname!)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

daen

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 10:08:16 AM »
My vote is also for ridiculous.
While I'm not from the US, and don't consider Thanksgiving to be as important as some do (which is why I didn't choose the "holidays are sacred" option), there is no reason to keep adding shopping hours. The stores will be open on Black Friday at ungodly hours, and so many are already open 24/7 for so much of the Christmas season - just take a deep breath, realize that the shoppers will be there in the morning, and enjoy the time off.

I see a parallel to Sunday shopping, which was introduced in my area about 15-20 years ago. Most retailers found that, once the dust settled, they were making the same amount in sales that they had before the start of Sunday shopping, but now they had to heat, light, and staff the store for one more day. I really don't see any advantage to beginning Black Friday on Thursday.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 10:11:55 AM »
The friend I used to talk about (Blanche) was so happy to not be in retail anymore once they started those early openings on Black Friday.  This latest thing would really make her blood boil.

Compounded with seeing Christmas merchandise in stores before Halloween really turns me off.  I have been doing my Christmas shopping all year at a leisurely pace for ages and whatever I don't finish by November 1st gets done online.  I love Amazon wish lists!

Hillia

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »
I think it's awful.  I can see a few places (like pharmacies) that might need to be open for emergencies, but otherwise?  Your Thanksgiving dinner will be just fine without that extra box of Stove Top, and there's not a doggone junky plastic thing from WalMart that you're going to die without.

My was an RN, and we never, ever celebrated Christmas or Thanksgiving 'normally' because she always volunteered to work those holidays so she had first dibs on vacation days in the summer (also, the holiday pay).  Christmas was always Christmas eve, or 2 am after midnight Mass.  Thanksgiving dinner was late on Thursday afternoon, or else we'd go out.  But at least we understood that our holiday was tweaked a bit because what she did was important: people don't stop being sick and needing care just because there's a holiday.  To ask someone to sacrifice a day with their family for the sake of selling just isn't right, IMO.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:15:24 AM »
If I'm together with family over holidays, I have no interest in going shopping.  I'd much rather go skiing or snowshoeing or for a walk or play cards or board games or just about anything other than shopping!

That's when I take a post-feast nap! :D How do people even have the energy?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »

I see a parallel to Sunday shopping, which was introduced in my area about 15-20 years ago. Most retailers found that, once the dust settled, they were making the same amount in sales that they had before the start of Sunday shopping, but now they had to heat, light, and staff the store for one more day. I really don't see any advantage to beginning Black Friday on Thursday.

I also wonder whether it is cost-effective for department stores  to be open on holidays like Thanksgiving.  For any store to be open on normal Sundays is good; many people can't shop M-F because they're working.  When I was a child supermarkets closed at 5 except on Thursdays and Fridays and then they were only open until 7 or 7:30.  Short hours on Saturdays and closed on Sundays.  As for holidays like Thanksgiving, if you didn't have everything in the house by 5pm on the day before, tough noogies.

They also usually opened at 9 rather than 7AM.  That feels like a zillion years ago now.

Lynnv

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 10:32:17 AM »
My thought is that a lot of people who aren't in retail work on Thanksgiving Day, too.  I'm really of two minds because on one side, any situation like this can get exploitive, but on the other I know a lot of people who would be happy to work on Thanksgiving Day for the extra pay.  So like many things, I don't see it as universally bad just because it's bad for some people.

Virg

POD.  I spent 3 years working for a bank that had a truly 24/7 phone line manned by real people.   Each year, I volunteered to work graveyard shifts on the major holidays.  So I got paid my holiday pay.  I got paid double time for working the holiday.  And I got a shift differential.  And they always asked because noone from the 24-hour banking department really wanted to work-so they usually left me (and whooever else volunteered) food and cookies in thanks for making it possible for them to not work.  I loved my paychecks those weeks. 

I would hazard a guess that the people being told (probably not asked) to work are not being well compensated and are not thrilled about it.  On the other hand, there are an awful lot of people who do have to work on the holiday, so I don't see this as the worst thing ever.  I will never patronize a retail establishment on the Feast of St. Turkey, but the only way to make sure that it doesn't happen again is for people to make it a money-losing proposition.  If noone shops, they won't do it again.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 10:34:55 AM »
It's funny. I have been seeing a lot of anger on relative's Facebook pages about this, but we have a tradition in our family of going to the movies on T-day and Christmas. There was never any rage about those poor theater employees that have to work. Why are retail workers so different?