87 (24.4%)
Outrageous!  Some holidays should be sacred
210 (58.8%)
Undecided
1 (0.3%)
Other
19 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Author Topic: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day  (Read 16830 times)

Kaypeep

Re: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 10:45:31 AM »
I'm not crazy about it.  But I spent 8 years working for a convenience store and always worked on the holidays, so as someone else pointed out there are other people who are required to work the holiday, so all the outrage seems a bit OTT. (My brother and I both worked at the same store, so my mom would do Tgiving or xmas dinner early or late, depending on when we worked.  It didn't bother my family, really.)

And the bottom line is, well, the bottom line.  The stores wouldn't do it if they weren't making money.  And based on the traffic I see near every mall and box store, there are definitely people partaking in the frenzy.   So I don't think it's going to change and it's not worth getting too riled up about it. 

Dr. F.

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 11:05:17 AM »
I'm irritated on behalf of those families whose celebrations will be cut short because someone has to go SHOP! Seriously? You can shop online. You can shop at 3AM the next morning. Hang out with the family for a little bit! (Yes, I have one of those in my family. Can you tell? My aunt/cousins will be straining at the leash to get to the mall from the moment the turkey comes out of the oven.)

Firecat

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 11:20:05 AM »
Sure, some people will always have to work on holidays: medical personnel, emergency workers, public transportation employees (although at least in my area, that's on a reduced schedule), and given the amount of travel on Thanksgiving in particular, I'm glad that at least some convenience stores are open. The first several of those are truly necessary, and I can see an argument for the convenience stores.

But just for shopping, which is in no way a necessity to anyone? It seems like an exhibition of blatant greed on a day that's supposed to be about being thankful for what we have. I think that's why I find it so upsetting, especially knowing how retail workers are too often treated by both the public and their employers.

Give them a day to rest before they have to deal with the concentrated crazy of the full holiday shopping season. That doesn't seem like so much to ask to me. If it could be, as a couple of previous posters have mentioned, a skeleton crew of volunteers I'd have less of a problem with it.

(For the record, I don't go to restaurants or movies on T-Giving or Christmas, either.)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 11:23:54 AM »
I bypass all of that nonsense and do almost all of my shopping online. I've completed probably 85% of my Christmas shopping already and haven't set one toe in a store. I especially won't shop on Thanksgiving day. Those people should be allowed to enjoy the holiday. It's not going to kill anyone to wait until Friday to buy their stuff.

I know this is all a result of people like me shopping online instead of in brick and mortar stores, but they aren't going to lure me back, ever. Noisy crowded stores, traffic, going out in the cold, squeezing in shopping after work, searching the shelves for things they might not even have...not for me. I'm determined to have a good Christmas without all the stress and nerve-frazzling running around. I love Amazon!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Jones

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 11:26:48 AM »
Having Kmart open last year on Thanksgiving saved our dinner when the turkey didn't fit in our roaster. The retail workers were smiley and nice. Later I found out they sign up for shifts and got extra pay.

I had an awful, horrible Christmas as a teen that put a damper on the holiday for years to come. I was in an accident on the 23rd, heavily medicated and stitched together, slept through on the 24th but very, very ill (bad reaction to morphine) on the 25th. Thankfully my dad was able to get overpriced OTC meds at a 7-11 convenience store that helped make the day just bearable. The next day the Walmart pharmacy was open and we got something better priced and stronger (still OTC) and life got better for me.

If the employees are compensated their time and willing to sign up to work on a holiday, more power to them. I work in an office and have been called in on Thanksgiving twice. I received holiday pay and didn't feel that I missed out on anything.

magicdomino

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »
I'm irritated on behalf of those families whose celebrations will be cut short because someone has to go SHOP! Seriously? You can shop online. You can shop at 3AM the next morning. Hang out with the family for a little bit! (Yes, I have one of those in my family. Can you tell? My aunt/cousins will be straining at the leash to get to the mall from the moment the turkey comes out of the oven.)

I think this comes closest to my feelings.  As Virg pointed out, a lot of people already work on Thanksgiving, so it's hard to be outraged unless the retail workers don't get holiday pay, much less night differential.  But it's one thing to run to the grocery store to buy Something! Anything! for dinner because the dog grabbed the turkey.  It's another to run out on Thanksgiving to buy stuff that could easily wait until the next day.  The world will not go into a death spiral if you have to wait a day to buy drastically reduced second-rate electronics.

SCMagnolia

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 11:34:05 AM »
I spent over a decade working as an on-air personality at a radio station.  I worked EVERY Thanksgiving, EVERY Christmas, and EVERY New Year's day.   I made a deal with the program director that if I had to work every holiday like that, I wanted to request the shift I wanted to work.  I would work the early AM shift (which was my normal non-holiday shift anyhow) so I could still be home in time to finish up dinner and spend the rest of the day with family.   The only day that didn't work so well was New Year's day.  I had to be up no later than 3 AM to go to work, and most of my neighbors had been shooting off weaponry and lighting off an entire arsenal of fireworks until about 2:30 AM. 

Someone had once asked why we didn't just voicetrack (pre-record) our shifts since we did have the capability to do so.  The PD said that oh, no, that would NEVER work.  People wanted to hear a LIVE person on the air while they're stuffing the turkey/opening gifts/nursing a hangover/etc. 

Honestly, most people really didn't give a fat rat's patootie.   And now?  They voicetrack more shifts than they have live shifts.
Go figure.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 11:44:21 AM »
I've had several jobs where I've had to work Thanksgiving and Christmas. None of them were retail, they were just businesses that were opened on holidays (most notably a hotel). I never minded. I got time and half (or double time and half in the case of the hotel), and it was my job. I also had to work late nights, or early mornings, and weekends. I had to deal with people screaming at me because I couldn't control the weather (I know, I'm working on it), or because the city had a water main down (clearly my fault). I had to deal with bratty kids (I was apparently a baby sitter), and drunk adults. I did it all while wearing polyester with a big smile on my face. And then I went in the back, cursed them all, and went back out there to do it all again.

The best part about working a holiday though was that I wasn't expected to do any of the cooking/clean up, after all I had been at work all day.

Honestly I most likely won't go out shopping on Thanksgiving. But I'm also not gonna say it's wrong for a business to be open on the holidays either. Some businesses have to be. ER doctors, nurses, police officers, EMTs, I'm glad these people work holidays. Along with gas stations, hotels, and airports/bus/train stations, shutting them down is screw over a lot of holiday travelers.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 11:48:32 AM »
Honestly I most likely won't go out shopping on Thanksgiving. But I'm also not gonna say it's wrong for a business to be open on the holidays either. Some businesses have to be. ER doctors, nurses, police officers, EMTs, I'm glad these people work holidays. Along with gas stations, hotels, and airports/bus/train stations, shutting them down is screw over a lot of holiday travelers.

Also, consider that some people don't have families or are far away from them over the holidays. I think it is good that some places are open so they have something to do rather than sit in their homes all day.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 11:49:43 AM »
Of course it is necessary for medical personnel, police, the fire department, and hospitality employees to work on such holidays.  However, department stores don't need to be open except for corporate and shareholder greed.

I'd love to know if it's really cost-effective for them.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 11:50:18 AM »
Meah.   My father is a retired police officer, my brother is a police officer, I am a PA who used to moonlight in an urgent care.  The specific day of a holiday has never ment much to my family.  I hope they get comp time, so they can have Thanksgiving on another day, but esp. as we live more in a get it now world, this was bound to happen.

newbiePA
Not such a newbie anymore

123sandy

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 11:51:23 AM »
So is it just anti shopping on Thanksgiving? We're okay with hospitals, police officers, firemen, emergency services, taxi drivers, airline workers, the military...etc... A lot more than retail workers will not be spending the day at home with their families and some won't even get paid extra for it.

Seems wrong.

Arila

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 11:55:12 AM »
I wouldn't care, except that some people are basically compelled to work. If all the workers were thrilled to get extra hours that would be one thing, but my understanding is that the deal is "don't show up on the holiday, don't bother showing up for your next shift or any one after that either".

There are very few days that everyone* has off, and getting families together really depends on this.

*except health and safety officers, but I do not consider  the importance/need of retail workers to rise to this "always on" level!

Firecat

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »
So is it just anti shopping on Thanksgiving? We're okay with hospitals, police officers, firemen, emergency services, taxi drivers, airline workers, the military...etc... A lot more than retail workers will not be spending the day at home with their families and some won't even get paid extra for it.

Seems wrong.

Yes. I see shopping as very different than things like hospitals, firemen, etc. They are necessary. Shopping? Absolutely not a necessity. If it's a holiday, then I think it should be a holiday for as many as possible. And if you are in one of those necessary professions, then I think you should get paid extra for the holiday, at the very least.

Firecat

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 11:59:28 AM »
I wouldn't care, except that some people are basically compelled to work. If all the workers were thrilled to get extra hours that would be one thing, but my understanding is that the deal is "don't show up on the holiday, don't bother showing up for your next shift or any one after that either".

There are very few days that everyone* has off, and getting families together really depends on this.

*except health and safety officers, but I do not consider  the importance/need of retail workers to rise to this "always on" level!

POD