87 (24.4%)
Outrageous!  Some holidays should be sacred
210 (58.8%)
Undecided
1 (0.3%)
Other
19 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Author Topic: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day  (Read 18955 times)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
Re: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »
I don't get the hype over a "holiday" that celebrates the beginning of genocide. 

Someone else who will still be working on all holidays: farmers.  Animals still need to be fed and cleaned up after.

And animal shelter workers for the same reason.

The shelter I volunteer for will be open for adoptions that day too. I am friends with the cat manager and she doesn't mind being there over the holidays.

cwm

« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »
I don't get the hype over a "holiday" that celebrates the beginning of genocide. 

Someone else who will still be working on all holidays: farmers.  Animals still need to be fed and cleaned up after.

And animal shelter workers for the same reason.

The shelter I volunteer for will be open for adoptions that day too. I am friends with the cat manager and she doesn't mind being there over the holidays.

The boarding area and petcare areas of the store I used to work at was like this. They'd have 4 hour shifts instead of 8 hours, and everyone was required to take a shift. Usually they didn't mind, because they could all work their schedules to work best for everyone and there were no phones to answer, no customers to deal with, all they had to do was take care of the animals. And usually the company would pay for food to be there all day as well, so they'd get free meals out of it too.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2013, 04:20:53 PM »

You don't get it? Okay, don't participate. I certainly hope you don't spread your holiday "cheer" to everyone like you did here.

Locked.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Unlocked but Squeakers has been gagged for a week or so for attempting to hijack the thread.

On the blog for the past few years I have campaigned strenuously against the opening of retail businesses on Thanksgiving after one of my daughters (and all her co-workers) were compelled under threat of firing to work Thanksgiving Day.   Old Navy corporate offices decided fairly late to open stores on Thanksgiving Day.   Most of the employees were women, some of them single mothers, and this late notice forced a number of them to cancel trips home and scramble desperately for someone to babysit their children since nearly all daycare facilities were closed and they were planning on being with family that day.   

My daughter called the corporate offices of Old Navy, even spoke with someone in the office of the Vice President of Human Relations to lodge a complaint.   Googled HR VP's name and found out she had a million dollar salary per year.   Daughter discovered that the corporate offices were going to be closed Thanksgiving Day.  While the highly paid executives of Old Navy were enjoying Thanksgiving with their families, they were able to do this on the backs of thousands of minimum wage employees who had no choice but to work.   

People who patronize retail stores on Thanksgiving have no idea what the back story is with the employees and don't seem to care.   If you absolutely must go shopping on Thanksgiving Day, you should only go to stores which are staffed by volunteer employees and frankly, if working is good for the minimum wage workers, it's good for the corporate offices, too, so you should check to see if they are open for business as well. 

As for medical/service industry workers, there are two of them in my family.   The way their schedules rotate, there are some years they work those holidays and some they don't.   But they also make triple pay, and supervisors are right there working too. 

Amara

« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2013, 06:22:09 PM »
Thank you for re-opening this thread. I was quite disappointed to see it locked, though I understood why. The discussion about people's different feelings on it is quite interesting and informative. Even when I disagree with some of the posts, I learn.

I've already noted above that I hate the opening of retail stores. Like EHellDame's daugther's experience, I suspect many of those who are "forced" to work have been forced by policies handed down by those who don't work the holidays. Holidays don't have to be considered sacred (in the religious sense of the word or not) for them to be respected. To me, that's what this discussion is about. Forced employment of those in retail whose only bonus to working is their regular pay. And the opportunity to keep working afterwards.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »
As someone who had worked retail from the time I was 16 until 2012, I hate the holidays and what it brings out in people.  The major retailers who are opening early and making workers come in (most have no time off policies between November 1- January 1) are just feeding into the frenzy over the holidays.  When I was married, we lived out of state and I was retail management at a large well known, but now defunct department store.  There was no time off for me to go home for the holidays and my family understood that we would celebrate after the new year but my MIL?  She just about had a stroke when her baby boy wasn't coming home for Thanksgiving and Christmas because I had to work the day before and day after each holiday (we didn't open on Thanksgiving but we did open at 5 am the next day).  I finally made him go home for Thanksgiving the next 2 years.  During the holday times, it was nothing to put in 50-60 hour work weeks.   Corporate VIPs will celebrate the holidays with their families while many people will be working to get them their bonuses.  I refuse to shop any time the weekend after Thanksgiving.  I also just found out the dollar store..yes, the Dollar store will be open from 9-4.  These women in the one I go to are all middle age women with families !  I think the world will not collapse if the Dollar Tree closes for Thanksgiving.  I now work at an assisted living facility which has to have staff 24/7, but they tend to ask for people to volunteer to work shifts and there is usually enough people that want that double time and a half, but no one blinked an eye that I, a single mom with no real family near us anymore except my sister and step mom, would want to be home with my kids (and I am working the weekend that I normally don't so if anyone in my department wants it off can).  It is a nice change..plus they provide a full meal at 2 pm not just for the residents and their families but employees also.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2013, 06:51:31 PM »
FWIW, Old Navy is owned by the same parent coporation as Gap and Banana Republic.  Employees working holidays get a pay differential.

I know that around here one of the first things they ask you about when you are interviewed for retail jobs is working holidays.

Joeschmo

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »
Unlocked but Squeakers has been gagged for a week or so for attempting to hijack the thread.

On the blog for the past few years I have campaigned strenuously against the opening of retail businesses on Thanksgiving after one of my daughters (and all her co-workers) were compelled under threat of firing to work Thanksgiving Day.   Old Navy corporate offices decided fairly late to open stores on Thanksgiving Day.   Most of the employees were women, some of them single mothers, and this late notice forced a number of them to cancel trips home and scramble desperately for someone to babysit their children since nearly all daycare facilities were closed and they were planning on being with family that day.   

My daughter called the corporate offices of Old Navy, even spoke with someone in the office of the Vice President of Human Relations to lodge a complaint.   Googled HR VP's name and found out she had a million dollar salary per year.   Daughter discovered that the corporate offices were going to be closed Thanksgiving Day.  While the highly paid executives of Old Navy were enjoying Thanksgiving with their families, they were able to do this on the backs of thousands of minimum wage employees who had no choice but to work.   

People who patronize retail stores on Thanksgiving have no idea what the back story is with the employees and don't seem to care.   If you absolutely must go shopping on Thanksgiving Day, you should only go to stores which are staffed by volunteer employees and frankly, if working is good for the minimum wage workers, it's good for the corporate offices, too, so you should check to see if they are open for business as well. 

As for medical/service industry workers, there are two of them in my family.   The way their schedules rotate, there are some years they work those holidays and some they don't.   But they also make triple pay, and supervisors are right there working too.

I've always had holiday pay, although never triple, when working on holidays.  In retail there were always supervisors working right along side us but never the executives or people who made the big bucks.  Hospital supervisors may be on the job but not the CEO's or other people who make the big money from medical care.

Edited to add: Many years I could afford travel home and/or gifts for family due to working these holidays.  One bad year it provided the extra money to raise my home thermostat over 55 degrees.  My back story was I needed the money and was glad that we were open.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:51:53 PM by Joeschmo »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »
As far as CEOs or other big executives working Thanksgiving, other holidays,  weekends - that is hard to define. Certainly they are unlikely to be in a store but that would be the case any day. They aren't in "the office" but does that mean they aren't working?  At that level there is a permanent "on call" expectation, the idea being that they could and should work anywhere/anytime.  So the CEO is probably home for the holidays but he or she is likely answering emails, phone calls, etc.They are not in a position of working/not working as clearly as a sales associate or stock person.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #84 on: November 23, 2013, 10:02:27 PM »

I think that the mentality behind this kind of corporate policy is that it's just a part of doing business; that workers do all kinds of things that executives don't have to do because the latter have higher educational levels, and have put their time in their level's trenches; that it's "just the way it is"; that life isn't fair, and that if the workers don't like it, they can get another job.

Golly-gee-whillickers! This seems to be the same mentality that underpinned the feudal system. Have we not evolved beyond treating lesser-paid people as beasts of burden?

What's next? BEING OPEN ON CHRISTMAS DAY?!

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2013, 11:22:26 PM »

Re your second-to-last paragraph - I'm not sure what you are referring to, regarding stores where the staff are volunteers.  Is it therefore okay to require unpaid volunteers to work on holidays?  Of course I understand that if they refuse to work, there won't be much in the way of consequences, but still...

I truly understand that it's not proper for employers to suddenly inform employees that they'll have to work on a holiday when they had the impression that the store would be closed.  The plan should have been put in place several weeks ago.  But, if the store had decided some time ago that it would be advantageous for them to open, that's their prerogative.  In my area, about 20 years ago, many people were against Sunday shopping (and lots were owners of stores in malls where they had no choice - if the "anchor" stores chose to open, they had to, as well).  Now, it seems to be pretty mainstream to open on all holidays except Christmas, as well as on Sundays.

Amara

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2013, 11:24:28 PM »
Re your second-to-last paragraph - I'm not sure what you are referring to, regarding stores where the staff are volunteers.  Is it therefore okay to require unpaid volunteers to work on holidays?

I believe she means people volunteering to work the holiday as opposed to being required to. Nothing to do with pay.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2013, 11:28:14 PM »
Re your second-to-last paragraph - I'm not sure what you are referring to, regarding stores where the staff are volunteers.  Is it therefore okay to require unpaid volunteers to work on holidays?

I believe she means people volunteering to work the holiday as opposed to being required to. Nothing to do with pay.

Perhaps - but there are also cases where retail employees would welcome the chance at any extra hours, especially with a chance to earn overtime pay.  Overall, I see both sides of the situation.