87 (24.4%)
Outrageous!  Some holidays should be sacred
210 (58.8%)
Undecided
1 (0.3%)
Other
19 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Author Topic: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day  (Read 18015 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2013, 05:18:16 PM »
Another consideration:

When I was a child department stores weren't even open on Sundays.  They also closed earlier than they do now and Christmas merchandise didn't appear until November.  This is no longer the case.

Now most stores are displaying Christmas merchandise even before Halloween.  They're open full days on Saturdays and Sundays.  There is no good reason for them to be open on Thanksgiving Day.

Also, is anyone else old enough to remember Christmas Club bank accounts?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_club

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/christmas-club-accounts-1.aspx

If most of the checks were issued on or near December 1st, the shopping season could be said to begin there.  However, most people today are using credit or ATM cards for such shopping.

The economy isn't going to be turned around by adding yet one more shopping day to the calendar.

My savings and loan still has Christmas bank accounts. A co-worker who was a single mom always set one up every January because she knew it was how she'd keep herself out of trouble come December.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2013, 05:54:23 PM »
I haven't seen ads for them in so long that I thought they no longer existed.

katycoo

« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2013, 06:59:45 PM »
No alcohol sales???  :o  :P

Seriously though, those restrictions do seem like moral policing to me. It's a free market. There shouldn't be a law prohibiting opening on a holiday. If it's not profitable, it wouldn't be open.

And for goodness sake, let people get their alcohol. Sometimes it's the only way to get through a family meal!

Buy it the day before in preparation.  And honestly - its not about restricting the retailer.  Its about protecting the employee.

We don't have Thanksgiving in Ireland but retailers are under increasing pressure to open throughout Christmas time and I don't agree with it but that's because my dad works in retail and it's hard watching him work himself ragged every day for two months.  It used to be that shops weren't open on a Sunday but they all are now.  They would also be closed on Christmas day and St. Stephen's day but they all open on St. Stephen's Day now so my dad works every single day from 25 November to 24 December inclusive and then 26 December to around late January without a single day off.  I just feel really sorry for him and dread the day that shops start to open on Christmas Day as I have no doubt it'll happen at some stage, here's hoping he's retired by then.

Here our labor laws would prevent you from being rostered that many days in a row without a break.

immadz

« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2013, 07:31:35 PM »
I voted that I didn't care one way or another. However, after reading the thread, I feel the reasoning needs to be clarified a little. Are those opposed to thanksgiving shopping opposed to it

1. because of the general corporate greed it represents.
2. because the workers who are running these stores are being treated poorly.
or
3. because it is a day to be with family

If it is (3) I have to wonder why all private sector service industries are not held to the same standard. Restaurants, hotels, movies, drive through coffee places all of them are not "essential" but lots of them are open through the holiday and have a staff.

melicious

« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2013, 07:32:57 PM »

Seriously though, those restrictions do seem like moral policing to me. It's a free market. There shouldn't be a law prohibiting opening on a holiday. If it's not profitable, it wouldn't be open.

And for goodness sake, let people get their alcohol. Sometimes it's the only way to get through a family meal!

Buy it the day before in preparation.  And honestly - its not about restricting the retailer.  Its about protecting the employee.

Exactly. Plus your need for alcohol - a non-essential item - should hardly trump someone's right to a day off. And this is coming from someone who is MARRIED to wine.

CocoCamm

• Leader of the 3 ring circus
« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2013, 07:44:54 PM »
I love Black Friday shopping. For my mom and I it's almost as big a deal as thanksgiving!

I do not feel bad for anyone who has to work regardless of what position they hold. Thems the breaks sometimes. I say this as someone who has worked on holidays. I didn't like it but I paid my dues and advanced to positions in companies that didn't require me to work holidays.

Oh and the notion that an average retail worker should be treated like a CEO when it comes to working holidays is laughable. Should they also get the same pay? Same benefits and vacation time? I don't think so. Being on the bottom of the ladder stinks but I just used it as incentive to get out of those positions.

Goosey

« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »

Exactly. Plus your need for alcohol - a non-essential item - should hardly trump someone's right to a day off. And this is coming from someone who is MARRIED to wine.

That's hardly what I said. And since gas stations, etc are "allowed" to be open, there's really no employee-protecting reason to not sell alcohol.

And it is moral policing. If you happen to agree with their moral stance, it's easier to swallow.

melicious

« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2013, 08:07:11 PM »
I love Black Friday shopping. For my mom and I it's almost as big a deal as thanksgiving!

I do not feel bad for anyone who has to work regardless of what position they hold. Thems the breaks sometimes. I say this as someone who has worked on holidays. I didn't like it but I paid my dues and advanced to positions in companies that didn't require me to work holidays.

Oh and the notion that an average retail worker should be treated like a CEO when it comes to working holidays is laughable. Should they also get the same pay? Same benefits and vacation time? I don't think so. Being on the bottom of the ladder stinks but I just used it as incentive to get out of those positions.

This is exactly why retail workers are treated so poorly: because of their low pay and position on the totem pole, so they're seen as "lees than" and not worthy of respect. Of course they're not asking for the same pay and benefits as a CEO. It's a matter of not having to work a holiday they're used to having off. And "if you don't like it, find a better job" isn't so easy for everyone. People have different circumstances and they don't always have the opportunities or resources to do so.

melicious

« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2013, 08:11:29 PM »

That's hardly what I said. And since gas stations, etc are "allowed" to be open, there's really no employee-protecting reason to not sell alcohol.

And it is moral policing. If you happen to agree with their moral stance, it's easier to swallow.

That's hardly what *I* said. I don't see anywhere in my posts where I made it a moral issue, nor is my stance coloured by that.

I also don't agree that it's moral policing. It may be your opinion, but it certainly isn't mine.

I am so glad I no longer work retail.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:16:31 PM by melicious »

Goosey

« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2013, 08:17:37 PM »
How is it not moral policing if it's clearly not to protect the employee since he/she is still working?

melicious

« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »
How is it not moral policing if it's clearly not to protect the employee since he/she is still working?

I don't know. i used to be a retail worker so this is a sensitive issue for me. If I continue to respond this might get heated and I don't want the thread to get locked again.

Besides, I thought this was an etiquette site, not about morals.

Bowing out.

katycoo

« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2013, 08:32:36 PM »

The orginal ban was to protect the workers.  Clearly that is eroding with time.

Amara

« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »
Please, please, please, I beg of you: no arguing over moral vs. whatever. This thread was locked once, and I for one am very happy it was re-opened. The discussion is fascinating. Please do not escalate a disagreement into an argument. It's unpleasant and it's likely to lose us this ongoing thread.

I voted that I didn't care one way or another. However, after reading the thread, I feel the reasoning needs to be clarified a little. Are those opposed to thanksgiving shopping opposed to it

1. because of the general corporate greed it represents.
2. because the workers who are running these stores are being treated poorly.
or
3. because it is a day to be with family

If it is (3) I have to wonder why all private sector service industries are not held to the same standard. Restaurants, hotels, movies, drive through coffee places all of them are not "essential" but lots of them are open through the holiday and have a staff.
I am opposed to it for #1 and #2 in addition to my strong feeling about corporate America pushing shopping into and onto everything as the ultimate cure-all: holidays, sorrow, happiness, satisfaction, citizenship, etc. And I don't like it.

Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:03:07 PM by Amara »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2013, 09:09:31 PM »
I kind of get that but I think the reality is that businesses exist to make money and retail businesses exist to make money by getting people to buy more stuff. And when they make more money they can increase hours, hire more staff,  etc.

Amara

« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2013, 09:30:52 PM »
But we are talking about two days of the year, Sharnita. That leaves 363 days for people to "shop till they drop."
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:34:59 PM by Amara »