Author Topic: Easy Vegetarian Christmas Lunch....any ideas?  (Read 912 times)

Hurricane Marathon

Easy Vegetarian Christmas Lunch....any ideas?
« on: November 22, 2013, 02:52:31 PM »
We're having my family over for lunch & Christmas around the middle of December.  I need ideas on what to serve - keep in mind that I HATE cooking.  Hate it with a passion.  The food needs to be: 1. easy to prepare and serve, 2. easy to eat - we'll be sitting around the livingroom with paper plates, 3. vegetarian but not necessarily vegan - dairy & eggs are fine.

I'd like to make a theme - say, Mexican - but am open to ideas for any other kind themed food as well.

Any ideas are appreciated.  Thank you.

gingerzing

Re: Easy Vegetarian Christmas Lunch....any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »
Just an off the top of my head thought

Crockpot bean chili and a buffet of fixings like shredded cheese and sour cream?
http://thelazyvegetarian.blogspot.com/2006/04/i-love-my-crockpot-chili-recipe.html(this has some chopping.  Loved the name of the blog)

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »
how many people?

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 03:28:42 PM »
how many people?

5.  My husband and I, my parents, and my 90 year old Nana.  My parents & Nana are very plain eaters - meat 'n potatoes - but my husband and I are vegetarian so I'd like to get them to try new things.  My mom is always up for trying new food and I know my Nana will enjoy the different food as well.

THE LAZY VEGETARIAN.  Thank you gingerzing, that has been bookmarked!

cwm

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »
Personally I'm a big fan of omelettes, if eggs are fine. You can fill them with all sorts of veggies and such, cover it with cheese if you're okay with that, and enjoy.

Meatless chili is also pretty good. I did a google search and this one looks really easy:
http://www.dailygarnish.com/2012/09/twenty-minute-four-bean-vegetarian-chili.html

Some of the recipes I found by searching had vegeterian hamburger crumbles listed in the ingredients, but this one is just a four bean and vegetable chili.

Good luck!

gollymolly2

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 04:09:21 PM »
Pizza or pasta + green salad.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
OK, for five people it doesn't need to be a huge spread. Also, I am assuming this is not Christmas dinner, just a meal on Christmas so lighter fare is good.

I'm also taking into account the paper plates.

For all of these, I suggest the following to add on:
Meal
Veggies tray (from supermarket)
Chips
Ranch Dip
Hummous
Tray with Almonds/Cheese/Grapes

Desert
Chocolates
Oranges
Cookies
Mini-tarts

Meal 1 (For I really hate cooking with a passion)

Veggie Pizzas (I'd suggest ordering, but let's go frozen as if people won't deliver)

Meal 2 (I hate cooking, but I'll do a tiny bit of assembly at Christmas)

As above, but no pizza. Instead a platter of sandwiches cut into quarters.

Meal 3 (Hot Stuff!) Asian Yumminess

Heated (Previously frozen) Asian Appetizers (I don't know why, but those always seem extra good of the frozen appies)
Dipping Sauces

Meal 3 (Hot Stuff!) Mini Quiches

Heated (Previously frozen) Miniquiches (Usually  good of the frozen appies)
or
Make your own quiche from scratch the day before and warm slightly.

Aside from the making a quiche or sandwiches options, I'd put the total prep (once you have have the groceries) at 30 minutes including setting up living room.

sweetonsno

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 05:07:09 PM »
Italian is easy and usually makes people happy. Veggie lasagna or eggplant parm? Trader Joe's has some good vegetarian ones of both. Add a salad with Italian dressing (or Caesar for the non-vegetarians… there are vegetarian versions out there, but they do taste quite a bit different), some garlic bread, and dessert, and you've got dinner.

If you want do something more traditional, try this: http://www.feastingathome.com/2012/11/shepherd-less-pie.html  Add a salad or a couple of simply cooked green vegetables (steamed greens with olive oil and lemon?) and you're done! Yay. This does involve quite a bit of chopping, but you can probably get many of the veggies pre-diced, or get hubby to help.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »
How about outsourcing the main dish? Do you live near a Trader Joe's? They have pretty good spanakopita and vegetarian lasagna in family sizes. You could make a salad and have good bread. Also, most Chinese and Indian restaurants are open on Christmas. Take out is really easy. My go-to easy vegetarian meal is tacos, but they are kind of messy.

crella

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 06:32:36 PM »
Italian is easy and usually makes people happy. Veggie lasagna or eggplant parm? Trader Joe's has some good vegetarian ones of both. Add a salad with Italian dressing (or Caesar for the non-vegetarians… there are vegetarian versions out there, but they do taste quite a bit different), some garlic bread, and dessert, and you've got dinner.

If you want do something more traditional, try this: http://www.feastingathome.com/2012/11/shepherd-less-pie.html  Add a salad or a couple of simply cooked green vegetables (steamed greens with olive oil and lemon?) and you're done! Yay. This does involve quite a bit of chopping, but you can probably get many of the veggies pre-diced, or get hubby to help.

I was just going to suggest a veggie eggplant parm as well. Leftovers keep well!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:58:39 PM by crella »

POF

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 07:22:22 PM »
Have a brunch and buy a quiche, serve with croissants, fruit salad and maybe some baery pastries for dessert.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 12:15:51 AM »
Have a brunch and buy a quiche, serve with croissants, fruit salad and maybe some baery pastries for dessert.
Or a bagel brunch- bagels, spreads ( cheeses, butter, tofu spread etc), tuna/smoked salmon / egg salad for those who want it, or add a platter of scrambled eggs. Add a big platter of fresh sliced veg ( tomato, cucumber, pepper, lettuce) and/or one or two tossed salads ( lettuce and bleu cheeses, greek, capreze, etc), and you're fine

Or if the vegetarians eat fish, how about some lovely smoked salmon eggs Benedict

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »
How about a Caprese salad for one of the sides? I don't know if you're on Pinterest but there's a boatload of recipes for that

123sandy

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 09:08:48 AM »
Greek salad

Vegetarian moussaka

Baked figs

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 10:48:57 AM »
Thank you for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.  I'll let you know how it goes.  :)