Author Topic: father demanding to know law school GPA  (Read 11440 times)

Adelaide

Re: father demanding to know law school GPA
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2013, 02:51:02 PM »
I've never heard of a law school that uses a 4.0 grading scale anyway (it's generally a 16.0 scale).  If the OP's father told people his daughter was getting a 3.8, or even a 4.0, most people in the know would wonder what on earth he was talking about.

All the schools I know of use a 4.0 and we do as well. Of course, I'm not Ivy League or anything, they may be different.

Kaymar

« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »
I've never heard of a law school that uses a 4.0 grading scale anyway (it's generally a 16.0 scale).  If the OP's father told people his daughter was getting a 3.8, or even a 4.0, most people in the know would wonder what on earth he was talking about.

All the schools I know of use a 4.0 and we do as well. Of course, I'm not Ivy League or anything, they may be different.

My Ivy League law school used a 4.0 system as well - I've never heard of a 16 point system.  All besides the point of your dad's insistence on knowing info he has no business asking about, but just for the record.

NyaChan

« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2013, 07:27:47 PM »

Really?  Mine definitely did and so did my friends who went to law schools from 3 different states.  3/4 were top 50 schools.

gollymolly2

« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »

I mentioned earlier that I'm on the hiring committee for a big firm, so I see a lot of resumes. At least for the top 20-25 schools, nearly all of them use a 4 point scale. (Some, like Berkeley, don't have letter grades, they use a high honors/honors/pass system, but the ones with letter grades are on a 4 point scale).

Edit:  Oops, didn't mean to dogpile! My page didn't load correctly on my phone so I didn't see the other replies
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:30:48 PM by gollymolly2 »

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2013, 12:42:54 AM »
I went to a top 20 law school 15 years ago so perhaps it's changed or this is testament to how little people talk about "GPA."  I was also on the hiring committee for a biggish firm maybe a decade ago and I don't recall a four point scale at all, but perhaps it was more class rank that was used?  Anyway, all of the schools where I heard of people's GPAs, including mine, used a 16 point scale.  Either way....

NyaChan

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2013, 08:25:47 AM »
To be honest, I will say that GPA was probably the least accurate indicator of a person might do outside of law school.  What it showed at mine was how good you were at picking the right professors or lucking out with the wrong ones - the professor for example that reads the first page of a smattering of exams before just assigning grades to all of them.  In one of the largest classes at our school, his grades were released in 24 hours.  Best student in the class in terms of understanding, doing the reading, engaging in discussion, and using the material after graduation to work? Got a C.  I studied for 5 hours the night before and walked away with an A.  It was ridiculous.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2013, 09:02:48 AM »
OP, when the subject of whatever you want to do comes up, does your father think something else is so much better?