Author Topic: One thank you card for group gift?  (Read 1530 times)

littlebird

One thank you card for group gift?
« on: December 06, 2013, 11:33:58 AM »
I am having a medical procedure in a week (radioactive iodine in wake of thyroidectomy) and four of my coworkers got together and made me a fabulous goodie bag of magazines, snacks, and fun stuff to occupy my time while I'm isolated. Except for one or two things, I don't know who gave what. Is it okay to write a thank you note to all four of them, or should I give them each a thank you note?

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
Re: One thank you card for group gift?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »
I would write an individual note to all four. Just use general terms for the items you aren't sure about.

It sounds like they all pitched in and most of the things are from everyone.

m2kbug

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »
I would write an individual note to all four. Just use general terms for the items you aren't sure about.

It sounds like they all pitched in and most of the things are from everyone.

Ditto.  Since they went in as a group, you can thank them for the care basket, but I would send cards out individually.

Rohanna

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
Group gifts at my work always get a group thank you card put in the break room for anyone who contributed to read .
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:56:30 AM »
Group gifts at my work always get a group thank you card put in the break room for anyone who contributed to read .

This is what my office does, too.  But then, there are generally 20 or 30 people signing the card for the gift.  With only 4 people, if you're up to it, I would consider individual notes.  I wouldn't worry about who gave what; I'd just 'Thank you for thinking of me and contributing to the gift basket.  I will enjoy having something to read, do and nibble on while I'm isolated.'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »
Yup. Group gifts get group thank yous.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Magnet

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 03:26:10 PM »

This is what my office does, too.  But then, there are generally 20 or 30 people signing the card for the gift.  With only 4 people, if you're up to it, I would consider individual notes.  I wouldn't worry about who gave what; I'd just 'Thank you for thinking of me and contributing to the gift basket.  I will enjoy having something to read, do and nibble on while I'm isolated.'

I agree with OD Girl.

mspallaton

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 03:57:47 PM »
While I would generally say individual thank you cards are best, I don't think there's anything wrong with a group thank you.  Especially given your circumstances and the fact that they are clearly aware of your circumstances -- since the gift was a goodie bag for while you're getting your procedure.  I doubt very highly that anyone would fault you for being a bit too fatigued to do them individually.

littlebird

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 06:00:42 PM »
Thanks y'all! If I can do it, I'll try for individual cards. I realized I don't have any of their home addresses, and I won't be in the office at all next week (because I scheduled the radioactive iodine for right after my week-long minor field exam, for which I am taking the week to work from home half time).

(PhD students are crazy)

m2kbug

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:31:52 PM »
You could send individual cards in one envelope to your work address.  We would attach them to people's time cards or put them in our little cubbies in a couple places I worked, if that's something that's feasible, or one coworker can hand them out.  There's always the bulletin board, which would work, but for four coworker who you seem particularly close to, inviduals just seems better to me in this situation.  Someone who has access to addresses can either address them for you or provide you with the addresses (if allowed), if you don't ask people for them yourself.  You'll probably be pretty bored after awhile.  Don't be in a major rush to get them out.  People will understand, and it would be nice if you could include how useful the stuff was.  :)

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 05:39:05 AM »
For 4 people I would do individual.   For larger groups I would probably go with verbal individual thank you IF the opportunity arises, and one group card.   But 4 people is manageable to give the personal notes.

I would just give the cards upon your return to work if it's only a week or two, I don't think they'd expect it while you were having your treatment, after all they know the situation!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »
When my co workers (5 of them) pitched in and bought me a crib mattress and threw a little baby shower for me I wrote individual notes.  I knew some would have kicked in more than others (simply from collecting for group gifts for boss) but I wanted each one to know that no matter what their level of participation was, I was thankful to each so I just wrote them each a personal note.

Promise

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 10:01:18 AM »
Individual notes. It was a group gift so you can be general about how much you appreciated their thoughts/prayers and thoughtfulness about how to get through the recovery period. What a nice group to do that for you!

littlebird

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 10:09:05 PM »
Individual notes. It was a group gift so you can be general about how much you appreciated their thoughts/prayers and thoughtfulness about how to get through the recovery period. What a nice group to do that for you!

I'll do individual notes Thursday night (after I finish comps, before the procedure). They're really awesome. They got me snacks and things to read, which is great because I have to isolate myself at home for 3 days. I have to write the thank-you notes ahead of time because apparently I'll be sweating radiation for about a week after...