Author Topic: Are street drummers rude?  (Read 3628 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Are street drummers rude?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 04:42:17 PM »
While I am sure it is annoying, as long as the merchants or police were not shutting it down, it must have been allowed. 

Doesn't mean it's approved by Etiquette. "Legal" and "polite/good form" are not the same thing.

Or this:
If it's not illegal then technically it's not rude,

I don't think it's physically possible for me to disagree more with this assertion. Even if we limit it specifically to street performers, there are places where it'd be legal for people to set up in an area with lots of children and start singing "The Ballad Of Eskimo Nell" or "F#@& Tha Police." I'd call those people rude.

And if Auntie Em writes to Macy's and complains, maybe Macy's will have a reason to do something about it. (though it may be that legally they can't, since they don't own the sidewalk)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Are street drummers rude?
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 05:52:03 PM »
II all depends on the situation.  We were recently in Rome and, near the Castel Sant'Angelo, there was a young man beating his heart out on collection of plastic and metal containers.  He had a nicely-made sign in three languages announcing that he was saving to buy a real drum kit.  We and other tourists thought it was amusing.  The vendors who were set up near him for the day must have been ready to kill. 

In Cartagena there was an older Asian man playing a Chinese string instrument.  We each gave him a  Euro because he reminded of a similar musician who used to set up shop near a book store in our neighborhood.  He also wasn't loud enough to be a problem and the cultural disconnect was slightly surreal.     

I do dislike the 'captive audience' performers who haunt NYC subway trains.  These folks depend on
being so annoying that people will give them money to go away.