Author Topic: Reason to put full names on invitations  (Read 1675 times)

BigBadBetty

Reason to put full names on invitations
« on: January 31, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
I thought I would paste this as a warning.

Background:
My long-term boyfriend lives a small town. The small town was founded by a group of people from a certain European country. Nationwide, my boyfriend's last name is not one of 25 most common last names. However, since many of the people in his area share the same heritage, his last name is quite common in this region.

We get a wedding invitation for "The LastNames." While we are not married, I have been referred by my boyfriend's last name by people who are assuming we are married. It doesn't bother me. I open the invitation. I ask my boyfriend who Lucy and Steve are. He knows Lucy but not very well. He thinks it's strange that he is invited since he doesn't know her that well. He has no idea who Steve is. Is she fishing for a gift? Some people mistakenly believe my boyfriend has a lot of money. I said we should just send in the card saying we are not going.

I grab the envelope and realize that it has a neighbor's address on it. It was for the neighbors with the same last name.  Lucy is her cousin. My boyfriend gets a lot of misdirected mail. I think his postman needs glasses.

JeanFromBNA

Re: Reason to put full names on invitations
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 04:00:59 PM »
We have a common English surname, like "Smith."  We got a Christmas card, with photos of their adorable children, addressed to "The Smiths."

Nice family.  Wished we knew who they were.

meronym

Re: Reason to put full names on invitations
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 04:12:20 PM »
We have a common English surname, like "Smith."  We got a Christmas card, with photos of their adorable children, addressed to "The Smiths."

Nice family.  Wished we knew who they were.

Ha!  ;D