General Etiquette > Family and Children

Parents should be divorced = awkward Christmas! Update #8, 18, 28, 46, 55, 69.

<< < (2/15) > >>

SamiHami:
"I'm sorry, Mom & Dad, but Christmas is a time for good will and forgiveness. It's just not fair to my children to have to experience the drama between the two of you. Since you two can't get along, we are going to come up with another way to celebrate the holidays."

m2kbug:
I think I would just say to my mom and stepdad that I don't plan on spending Christmas at your place this year because you and dad (you and mom) bicker and fight too much.  We're all miserable and I don't want to be around it and the kids don't need to be around it. 

Be blunt and honest.  If you guys can't get along for three hours and a meal, we'd rather just skip it.  Of course we want to get together, but you two have to promise to behave or we'll see you separately.

Since they live in town (yes?), you could perhaps see your parents at different times in shifts.  It makes for a really long day to do that, but it's a possibility.  It also poses a problem with sis and her family and seeing everyone together, but such is life in the land of (should be) divorce.

I don't know how DH's family works with this or your sister's family, but you could do Cmas Eve with one and Cmas morning/afternoon with the other; or one in the morning and one around lunch or evening.  It's not easy, for sure, but doable. 

Maybe your parents and my mom and stepdad should get together for coffee (bicker-fest).  They could compare notes.  It's so unpleasant and uncomfortable.  Talk with your sister about how she would like to manage the two of you and your parents, your in-laws, and devise a plan to present to your parents or tell them they need to put on their smiley faces for a few hours.

jedikaiti:

--- Quote from: SamiHami on November 25, 2013, 01:18:29 PM ---"I'm sorry, Mom & Dad, but Christmas is a time for good will and forgiveness. It's just not fair to my children to have to experience the drama and tension between the two of you. Since you two can't get along, and everybody else would likely be made miserable by your bickering we are going to come up with another way to celebrate the holidays."

--- End quote ---

Just my suggestions.

oopsie:
About 10 minutes ago, out of the blue, I got this text from my sister -

"I feel like telling our parents off."

I replied that it was so funny that she wrote that because I've been thinking that all morning. She said we need to talk and so I'm going to her house after work to discuss what's been going on and how we're going to handle Christmas. I will certainly mention the Ehell approved suggestions posted here!

Thank you everyone!!

lkdrymom:
I think you need to be blunt with your parents. Tell them that Thanksgiving was awkward with Grandpa not eating and the kids noticed and started to ask questions. Tell them if they can't be civil to one another for 3 hours you all will be celebrating holidays some place else.  If they want to spend the rest of the year battling it out amonst themselves that is their business but if you and your family is invited over you will not tolerate walking into a war zone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version