News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 17, 2017, 02:48:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Local Food Combinations  (Read 3448 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Local Food Combinations
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2017, 12:31:37 PM »
In my house, growing up, chili was always served over rice.  I've served it to other people and they just think it is weird.  They'd only ever had it with a side of toast.  And introduced me to adding shredded cheddar cheese to the top of it.

But I do love just plain, buttered rice sometimes.   :)

Okay, wait. Chili with rice is weird too? And chili with toast is normal?

I feel like I'm being trolled by the rest of the country.

Chili (without beans) on pasta (with tomato sauce) is amazing, by the way. And yes, chili needs cheese. And a lack of beans. :P

Hmmmmm

« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2017, 12:45:00 PM »
In my house, growing up, chili was always served over rice.  I've served it to other people and they just think it is weird.  They'd only ever had it with a side of toast.  And introduced me to adding shredded cheddar cheese to the top of it.

Chili (without beans) on pasta (with tomato sauce) is amazing, by the way. And yes, chili needs cheese. And a lack of beans. :P

I've never seen chili over rice. Chili and Pasta was only served as Chili Mac. It was a school cafeteria standard offering in the 70's in my elementary school but never knew of anyone eating it at home until Hamburger Helper came out with the boxed stuff.

Toast and chili? Never heard of that. I think here it is saltines or cornbread. And chili should be served with shredded cheddar. If it's real spicy, maybe a dollop of sour cream. If you want beans in your chili, make a separate pot and let them add them if they want.

Nuku

« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2017, 05:20:49 PM »

I've never seen chili over rice. Chili and Pasta was only served as Chili Mac. It was a school cafeteria standard offering in the 70's in my elementary school but never knew of anyone eating it at home until Hamburger Helper came out with the boxed stuff.

Toast and chili? Never heard of that. I think here it is saltines or cornbread. And chili should be served with shredded cheddar. If it's real spicy, maybe a dollop of sour cream. If you want beans in your chili, make a separate pot and let them add them if they want.

I've never had chili with toast, but over rice sounds good to me. (I love rice.) I have had chili mac, but not growing up. We generally ate our chili with oyster crackers. They have the exact right texture for thick stews. I've also had chili with cornbread or corn muffins or just plain tortilla chips. I put cheese on my chili when I have it, but it's not a "must have." And never sour cream.

And I am not from Texas. I have beans in my chili. :D (Actually, since I'm a vegetarian, that's a pretty standard protein for me, but that's how my mom made it while I was growing up. And it was delicious!)

rose red

« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2017, 12:16:47 PM »
Rice with a fried egg and soy sauce is the finest meal you can ever eat ;D

When I went to high school, we dipped our french fries in mayo or milkshake. Sounds disgusting but then you try it out of curiosity and it's surprising good.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »

When I went to high school, we dipped our french fries in mayo or milkshake. Sounds disgusting but then you try it out of curiosity and it's surprising good.

Nope, aioli with fries is pretty common and growing up in small town, aioli wasn't available so mayo would do. When getting a DQ Milkshake a small order of fries is required for me. My kids do think I'm nuts though (both the aioli and the milkshake)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2017, 04:56:22 PM »
Where I grew up, the only acceptable side to go with chili was cornbread (you might get away with tortilla chips to scoop it, but that's it). Cheese and sour cream were fine for toppings. I also like fresh diced onions on mine.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Nuku

« Reply #111 on: Yesterday at 05:37:03 PM »

Nope, aioli with fries is pretty common and growing up in small town, aioli wasn't available so mayo would do. When getting a DQ Milkshake a small order of fries is required for me. My kids do think I'm nuts though (both the aioli and the milkshake)

I've never been able to understand fries and mayo, but I also don't like it on sandwiches, so to each their own.

Also, I've never liked any of the "fry sauces" I've been introduced to. I like fries with ketchup or barbecue sauce.   :) Fries with a milkshake (preferably vanilla) isn't so odd to me. I've known lots of people to dip their fries in their shake.

Rice with fried eggs and soy sauce sounds good. I like soy sauce with hard boiled eggs, if I'm not using plain salt.

Mayadoz

• Nobody is in charge of my happiness except me.
« Reply #112 on: Today at 04:41:51 AM »

My daughter does this. I thought it was plain weird....and then she made me try one. With a strawberry shake, it was really good!  :o
I also thought fries with mayo was weird until I tried it, and now I pretty much always have mayo over ketchup.

Chilli with rice has always been a normal thing for me, except when I was little and going through a picky phase - then I'd have it with a jacket potato. And always with lots of cheese and sour cream on the top!
Life is short. Buy the shoes. Drink the wine. Order the dessert.

dawnfire

« Reply #113 on: Today at 05:07:54 AM »

I'd agree with you, but the yolk still has to be runny.
Whittlesea Victoria

katycoo

« Reply #114 on: Today at 07:11:45 AM »

Soft serve ice cream also works quite well.