News:

• April 25, 2018, 09:20:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Best ever breakfast pastries  (Read 881 times)

velly j

Best ever breakfast pastries
« on: November 26, 2017, 04:22:16 AM »

I am based in the UK, and recently visited Copenhagen, where I tasted the best pastries of my life. One with poppy seeds on top, a decadent cinnamon roll, and a lovely slightly sweet yeasted roll. The best was the poppy seed one, it sort of combined sweet and savoury in a subtle way. Yum. In the UK, we are enjoying an ever widening selection of breakfast pastries, my favourite is a maple pecan one, as long as it isn't stiff with sugar. I think that some UK supermarkets are catching on to the fact that sweeter doesn't always equal better. What are your favourites?

BigBadBetty

Re: Best ever breakfast pastries
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 03:35:42 PM »
I love a good croissant. We have a bakery in my town that makes wonderful croissants. I am glad that I don't live closer. I am fat enough. I like a morning bun which is the love child of a cinnamon roll and a croissant. Recipe and story from a 1984 Washington Post article about morning buns: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/food/1984/06/03/flour-children/38bc8cd5-8daf-4171-bbd1-7687358ff0d1/?utm_term=.7a5592cbb10b

Hmmmmm

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 04:28:01 PM »
My favorite is a Czech pastry. Texas has a significant population of Czech immigrants. They brought Kolachi's and Kibasneks. In Texas we now refer to all of them as Kolaches, but they are a yeasted dough that is backed with a traditional poppy seed or other fruit fillings. Or we do savory ones with sausage or other meat fillings like ham.

My second most favorite is an Italian Cornetti... so much better than a croissant, IMHO.

Third is a homemade cinnamon and pecan roll.

Fourth is an Australian sausage roll.

MagicEyes

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:20:41 PM »
I love pastries! I would eat pastries every day if I could. My all-time favorite pastry, which sadly I can't get any more, is a caramel roll--like a cinnamon roll, but with a caramel filling, made with brioche dough. Those were so amazingly good. I live in a place that doesn't have a wide variety of pastries, so I usually get chocolate or almond croissants (sometimes plain, because I have a ginger jam that is just fantastic on a croissant). Second place goes to cinnamon rolls, but I like danishes too.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 07:15:50 PM »
I dream of another "escargot" pastry from Du Pain et des Idees in Paris. Not necessarily or strictly breakfast, but I'd certainly give it
a try any time. See:
http://www.takemethere.fr/fp-1449768805-fp/post-img/13457-0.jpg

Ordinarily, I'd pick a cinnamon roll over most of the 'conference room pastry tray' options.

Mayadoz

• Nobody is in charge of my happiness except me.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 04:41:10 AM »
I eat far more poğaca than is good for me - a buttery roll that has any of a wide variety of fillings - potato, cheese, spiced ground beef, olive or olive paste etc. My favourite is a mozarella-type cheese and onion.

It's a very unfortunate thing, but one of our regular morning dog walks takes us past the village bakery and the first batch has invariably come out of the oven not long before whichever of us is on the 'early shift' for dogwalking is on the way home..... It would be rude not to buy a few!  ;D
Life is short. Buy the shoes. Drink the wine. Order the dessert.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 07:44:45 AM »
Trader Joe's stores have a frozen chocolate croissant that is amazingly good. We have them for holiday mornings.

Orange scones from Panera Bread.

Cream cheese Danish are my go to if nothing else appeals.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

XRogue

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »
Another kolache/klobasnek fan here!

katycoo

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »
Fourth is an Australian sausage roll.

For breakfast?  I mean, I guess why not?  But its not traditionally a breakfast food...

mime

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 10:42:43 AM »
My late grandmother-in-law was bohemian and made the most wonderful kolachi! They were typically poppy seed, but sometimes apricot. I miss those.

I also like just a simple croissant. It sounds funny to say "simple" croissant after having made them a time or two. There's nothing simple about that process!