News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 03:29:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Local Food Combinations  (Read 7238 times)

lowspark

Re: Local Food Combinations
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »
My MIL and SIL eat that all the time, I had no idea it was actually a thing.  They just call it chili spaghetti and dump a can of chili on spaghetti noodles.  I haven't tried it yet.  Sounds a little odd, but I can see it being ok.

It's not that kind of chili. That's why I say it is a different dish with a similar name.
It's nothing at all like canned chili, Wolf brand for example. Canned chili, at least around here is (I'll call it) Texas-style chili.

Cincinnati Chili is made with ground beef but it contains totally different spices, cinnamon, for example, and isn't hot in terms of being spicy like Texas chili is.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

o_gal

Re: Local Food Combinations
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2017, 11:49:06 AM »
My MIL and SIL eat that all the time, I had no idea it was actually a thing.  They just call it chili spaghetti and dump a can of chili on spaghetti noodles.  I haven't tried it yet.  Sounds a little odd, but I can see it being ok.

It's not that kind of chili. That's why I say it is a different dish with a similar name.
It's nothing at all like canned chili, Wolf brand for example. Canned chili, at least around here is (I'll call it) Texas-style chili.

Cincinnati Chili is made with ground beef but it contains totally different spices, cinnamon, for example, and isn't hot in terms of being spicy like Texas chili is.

The spices are more of a Mediterranean blend, since the family that started it immigrated from Macedonia. Different chains (Skyline, Gold Star, Empress, Dixie, and tons of others) use different spice mixes, so you're getting a combination of one of more of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, chocolate, and bay leaves. It also uses traditional chili spices like chili powder and cumin.

My preferred Cincinnati Chili delivery device is Skyline's Chili Deluxe Burrito - Chili (either with or without beans) served in a large tortilla and topped with lettuce, tomato, cheese, and dollop of sour cream. Yummmmm!