Author Topic: Meat Pies  (Read 4292 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Meat Pies
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 03:50:25 PM »
can you put ground beef in meat pies?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 03:55:34 PM »
We've made Natchitoches meat pies with ground beef and pork sausage.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
Plain meat pies usually contain mince, or ground beef in gravy. Chunky steak pies are nice though.

DangerousKitten

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2013, 06:17:11 PM »
Yeah, lots of pies over here, in particular cornish pasties, usually contain minced beef (which I believe is the same thing as ground beef).

Nikko-chan

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2013, 06:54:10 PM »
Yeah, lots of pies over here, in particular cornish pasties, usually contain minced beef (which I believe is the same thing as ground beef).

It is the same thing. (and note that I only know that because i have a lot of friends in the UK and I know a bit of British English and am constantly "interpreting" so to speak)

SoCalVal

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 02:14:16 PM »
There's a local take-out restaurant here called "The Pasty Shack."  They sell pasties and fries (chips on the menu).  I tried the Cornish, the Chicken and Veggies and the Vegetarian.  They are okay but nothing special.  I'd give them another shot though.

I've never heard of Scotch pies before.  They look interesting so if I ever see them on a menu around here, I'll give one a shot.  There's a place around here called the "Kilt Pub," but the menu doesn't look any different than the English and Irish places around here (shepherd's pie, fish & chips, bangers & mash), although the owner *is* Scottish from what I've read on Yelp.

DangerousKitten

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
I've never heard of Scotch pies before.  They look interesting so if I ever see them on a menu around here, I'll give one a shot.  There's a place around here called the "Kilt Pub," but the menu doesn't look any different than the English and Irish places around here (shepherd's pie, fish & chips, bangers & mash), although the owner *is* Scottish from what I've read on Yelp.
From my experience of Scotland, they're big on all of the British classics such as the dishes you mentioned, they just additionally have a bunch of more specifically Scotch cuisine such as haggis, black pudding, etc. Could be the Scottish owner just thought the more Scottish stuff wouldn't sell, but I don't see why Scotch pies wouldn't. (I can see non-Scottish people shying away from haggis, black pudding and so on).

Legend has it that British favourite pseudo-Indian dish Chicken Tikka Masala was invented in Glasgow as well.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »
I am so all over this thread. I am thinking of all sorts of things to put in some pasties...what a wonderful idea! The only really similar thing I've had here in the US is crawfish pies in New Orleans which were spectacularly wonderful-great enough that I have bought them mail order. Now that I'm gluten free I can make my own. It seems these would be great to freeze & reheat!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
This is the recipe I use (roughly) for shepherds pies.

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/leftover-lamb-shepherds-pie-L4791.html

We season the lamb with mint sauce, so the lamb has a wonderful vinegary taste.

Snooks

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 12:57:24 PM »
From my experience of Scotland, they're big on all of the British classics such as the dishes you mentioned, they just additionally have a bunch of more specifically Scotch cuisine such as haggis, black pudding, etc. Could be the Scottish owner just thought the more Scottish stuff wouldn't sell, but I don't see why Scotch pies wouldn't. (I can see non-Scottish people shying away from haggis, black pudding and so on).

Legend has it that British favourite pseudo-Indian dish Chicken Tikka Masala was invented in Glasgow as well.

Black pudding isn't exclusively Scottish, it makes up part of a full English breakfast  ;) White pudding is Scottish, I've never seen that anywhere south of the border.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »
Pasties are extremely common in Michigan,  particularly the Upper Peninsula.

Yep. I grew up just south of the Mackinaw Bridge (which connects the peninsulas), and pasties were common where we were. I miss them.  :-[

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 03:27:33 PM »
For me, pasties are a completely different thing altogether, and not at all appropriate for a thread like this. It took me a bit wondering if everyone was just misspelling.

It's not uncommon here to get chicken or beef pot pies, which are miniature pie crusts filled with thick stew-like meat and vegetables, then topped with more pie crust. You can get them in the frozen food aisle, though I've never seen the proper crusts or pans to make them at home, which makes me sad.

I'm actually familiar with meat pies. Every year at the Ren Fest, the Scottish Highland Games, the International Cultural Festival, and Irish Fest there's a meat pie vendor. My friend's dad, raised in Liverpool and Glasgow, has said they're the best meat pies he's had since coming to the USA.

Per the bolded: Pasties (rhymes with past) are a legit thing, and you're likely to get a  :o if you call them anything else where I grew up.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 03:28:56 PM »
Pasties are found here and there in Wisconsin; Mineral Point in particular had a lot of Cornish miners and there is or was a company based out of the Milwaukee area which makes pasties. Frozen ones. I bought them now and again.

Empanadas are found here in Arizona.

Empanadas are common in NJ, too. I like them.  8)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »
Interesting, reading up on pasties on the internet. Apparently it is a protected recipe in England now in order to be considered authentic!

I don't care though-I think it's a great idea and intend to make my own Americanized version with whatever appeals to me. And my English coworker laughed when I told her about the protected status, and started rattling off the different ways her grandfather used to make them.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Browyn

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 10:27:06 PM »
Southern Massachusetts/Rhode Island you find "french style meat pies" and every family has a recipe.  Its basically cooked ground meat (beef, veal, pork - what have you) cooked with onions and spices, mixed with mashed potatoes so its solid and baked in a two crust pie.

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives toured Morin's Diner in my old hometown, and posted the recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/10-inch-french-meat-pie-recipe/index.html

Here is my recipe (much easier but less authentic)

Meat Pie

You need enough pie crust for a two crust pie. Store bought works just fine. While the crust is warming up get out your frying pan. A couple of handfuls of chopped onions (maybe 1/2 cup to a cup full, I keep a bag of chopped onions in the freezer) plus a pound of any ground meat. Last one I used meatloaf mix (beef, veal & pork). Brown the meat and onions. add spices. My Mom just used salt and pepper but I use salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. If you have just pork or ground turkey* you might want sage or something else. Its very mix and match.

Add a little water (1/4 cup?) then start adding dry instant mashed potatoes. A handful at a time until it won't really absorb anymore. If you prefer to use real mashed potatoes eliminate the water and drain the meat.

Put the meat into the bottom crust, pat down firmly and put the top crust on and seal it. Cut some vents in the crust and bake at 425 until golden (30-45 minutes). Serve with gravy - what type depends on the meat.

*with ground turkey used the pre-seasoned stuffing instead of potatoes.