Author Topic: Meat Pies  (Read 6148 times)

MurPl1

Re: Meat Pies
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
I did a market research study once where we were asked our opinion about pies.  I'm in Dallas, Texas.  Everyone had sweet pies on their mind.  Peach, pecan, apple, pumpkin.  Then they started asking us about "savory" pies.  Um, uh, like the minced meat pie grandma made for Thanksgiving every year as a kid? 

Then they started explaining the concept as more "pot pie" but in hand pie format.  So now I've got a mash up of chicken pot pie and the McDonald's fried apple pie in my head. 

So then they brought some out for us to try.  I'm sort of picky but the chicken and beef ones were good enough.  But the fish one?  Not a winner.

Apparently what the company that paid for the research was looking to do was open up a chain of restaurants in shopping mall food courts.  Have an English pub style decor and these savory meat hand pies.  Overall the feedback was "notsomuch"

I haven't seen one pop up in the last 15 years so perhaps they decided Dallas wasn't their market.  But now I suspect I've got a twisted idea of what these meat pies might be. :)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2013, 01:08:47 AM »
Not common in the Mid Atlantic area as pasties, but they look and sound just like Empanadas or Calzones to me.  and I LOVE empanadas especially Chilean filled ones.

katycoo

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2013, 06:53:08 PM »
So then they brought some out for us to try.  I'm sort of picky but the chicken and beef ones were good enough.  But the fish one?  Not a winner.

Fish pies and generally very hit and miss.  Chicken IME is often disappointing too.  Beef and lamb and usually winners every time.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2013, 02:38:08 AM »
Having this tonight. I bought pies and we have left over one and ham soup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_floater

SoCalVal

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2013, 03:13:46 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_pie

I just saw these this weekend, which means I saw them a few years ago, too, but didn't remember them.  DH and I went to the annual Dickens Faire, and the meat pie vendor had them.  I would've bought one, but they were $6 (after having to fix multiple things in our house in only a few days, plus buying some things we knew in advance we'd want from the faire, we were hanging back from unnecessary extras at the faire, like the food expense).  I'll have to try one next year when we go.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2013, 08:24:07 AM »
Here in Brooklyn, we have a variety of meat pies available

We have empanadas.  They're tasty but quite small.    You'd need several to make a meal.

We also have the Jamaican meat pies.  They're half-moon shaped and come in beef, chicken or vegetable varieties.  The crust on these is flaky. Every so often we'll make an excursion to Flatbush Avenue and pick up a dozen for the freezer from Christie's. 

We're also have an Australian pie shop in the neighborhood.  My favorite is the mince and cheese. 

Of course, calzones are as common here as pigeons.  However, I tend to think of these as a self-contained slice of pizza rather than as a pie.

When we roast a bird it's last appearance on the table will be as a pot pie.  This is made with left-over cooked chicken mixed with vegetables and gravy. It only has a top crust and we make ours using filo. 

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2013, 10:27:36 AM »
For gluten free people like myself, I was delighted to see an ad for Bob's Red Mill GF pie crust mix! I don't know if it is a new product or if I had just never noticed it before, but I either way I am happy. I'll get some tomorrow and use it to try out my own pasties.

And Thipu1, I have a Jamaican coworker who also happens to be an excellent cook (his jerk chicken is amazing...!!!)  I will have to ask him if he has any good recipes!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

English1

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2013, 12:02:26 PM »
"Pasties (rhymes with past)" - not when I say it, it doesn't.  :D

then there are pies that are eaten cold - they are 'raised' pies, with hot water pastry, topped up with meat jelly, like pork pie, or game pie. This is a pork pie picture. Do you have pies like these in the US?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:04:15 PM by English1 »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2013, 06:40:07 PM »
I haven't seem anything like that.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »

then there are pies that are eaten cold - they are 'raised' pies, with hot water pastry, topped up with meat jelly, like pork pie, or game pie. This is a pork pie picture. Do you have pies like these in the US?

We do have those but you have to go to a place like the 'Chip Shop' to find them. 

Browyn

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »

We do have those but you have to go to a place like the 'Chip Shop' to find them.

This is what th Rhode Island pie looks like

katycoo

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »
These pies all look so sad and dry.  Australian pies are full of gravy and meat/vege chunks, not solidly packed with meat.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2013, 06:02:56 PM »
I want one now, and I had one for lunch yesterday. :(

With a Neenish tart. They're hard to find these days, Neenish tarts.

katycoo

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »
Oh I've never liked Neenish tarts.  You can have all those.  I find they're still pretty available at little non-chain bakeries.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2013, 06:24:15 PM »
It's hard to find one of those. They've either gone gourmet or cafe like these days. Along with tea buns, cream buns and sponge cakes.