Author Topic: Meat Pies  (Read 5317 times)

katycoo

Re: Meat Pies
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »
Not everywhere.  I work in the Sutherland Shire and there are quite a few - 3 breadshops and a proper sweet bakery all in walking distance (and that's excluding the supermarkets and bker's delight, and Michels and Gloria Jeans who I think might sell neenish tarts too)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2013, 09:43:10 PM »
Not Gloria jeans. The bakery on the other side of the railroad tricks near my Dads place had Neenish tarts and nice croissants. Luddys has them good too.

Bluenomi

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2013, 12:20:41 AM »
It's hard to find one of those. They've either gone gourmet or cafe like these days. Along with tea buns, cream buns and sponge cakes.

You need to find a Vietnamese bakery. They seem to always have the cool old school stuff. Also bakeries in the suburbs seem to have them more often, I can think of quite a few near me. DD was very impressed with her first needish tart because it was pink.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »
I'd never heard of a "Neenish Tart," so I looked it up in Wikipedia.

This section appears to me to be in hilarious violation of Wikipedia's neutrality standard:

Imitations

It has become increasingly evident that the major supermarket brands are flooding the market with imitation Neenish Tarts. These imitation tarts do not meet the traditional criteria that the Australian market has come to love. These tarts use a white icing in place of the pink icing adjoining the chocolate half. Predominantly these tarts are sold at Woolworths or Coles, and should be avoided if you wish to enjoy the authentic Neenish Tart experience. http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/Shop/ProductDetails?Stockcode=755529&name=woolworths-select-tart-neenish
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

katycoo

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2013, 07:59:29 PM »
I wonder if the writer's only complaint is the colour of the icing?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2013, 07:55:33 AM »
Thanks for the discussion about the neenish tart.  I've never seen such a thing here but, big, black and white cookies are a NYC staple. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:45:02 AM by Thipu1 »

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2013, 04:10:41 PM »
I wouldn't be brave enough to try them from Woollies. They'd find a way to ruin it. Also, it wouldn't be fresh cream.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2013, 04:52:34 AM »
I wouldn't be brave enough to try them from Woollies. They'd find a way to ruin it. Also, it wouldn't be fresh cream.

Saw some neenish tarts at Michel's Patisserie today. Can't vouch for taste - not a fan of them generally.

cake dispay by psychopoesie1, on Flickr

Edited to add the pic.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 05:02:25 AM by Psychopoesie »

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »
I had them from a place on the peninsula below San Francisco, about 35 years ago.  They called them pasties (pronounced Pah-sties).  What I recall is that they had something like turnip or rutabaga in them as well as beef, potatoes and other veggies.  They were on the dry side, not moist, and the main thing I remember is that they seemed to have a lot of ground black pepper.  They were pretty good.
I don't do pastry type stuff (for the outside) so if I made them it would be just the filling and fake them out with some kind of scooped out roll for the outside.  Warm with butter...on the side of a big bowl of kale soup. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2013, 09:06:12 PM »
Got some leftover lamb from Christmas we're making into shepherds pies later.

LTrew

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2014, 09:26:39 AM »
No peas in pasties! That is pasty sacrilege!

Beef, potato, onion and swede (rutabaga) only. The beef can be either chopped steak or "mince" and the pastry can be flaky or short crust.  Also the crimping must be on the side.

Pasties are serious business in my family.  I'm not even allowed to try the other varieties pasty shops here sell or I'd be disowned.  :P

(At home I eat them on a plate, with a knife and fork, and with ketchup.  My husband is dismayed but looks past it.  I have the good sense to eat them properly [with your hands, out of the bag] out in public.)