Author Topic: What to bring for office holiday potluck?  (Read 3818 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
What to bring for office holiday potluck?
« on: November 26, 2013, 03:56:06 PM »
The office holiday potluck (desserts & hearty appetizers) is rapidly approaching, and I have no idea what to bring. Suggestions? Ideas? Seafood dip?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: What to bring for office holiday potluck?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
The office holiday potluck (desserts & hearty appetizers) is rapidly approaching, and I have no idea what to bring. Suggestions? Ideas? Seafood dip?

Bring it! Bring it and laugh harder then anyone else in the office and make them think you're a bit mad! Actually suggest someone else bring it and then laugh.

I usually bring plates or ice or drinks. So I'm of little help. Though everyone likes cookies.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:00:37 PM by GlitterIsMyDrug »

workerbee

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »
My go-to potluck dish is a crock pot full of those cocktail meatballs. Frozen meatballs, Heinz chili sauce, can of jellied cranberries. Done! They
disappear quickly.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 04:03:19 PM »
One of the hits last year at our pot luck was a skewer with a grape tomato, Italian salami, ball of mozzarella or boccancini (sp?) with basil leaves and drizzled with balsamic vinegrette.  Delicious.

Someone else did pulled pork sliders.

I usually do homemade bread or rolls but then, we have a full out meal potluck.

Glitter, bringing the plates is a great way to contibute if you aren't into cooking/baking.  One of the guys in my office often brings 3 or 4 2L bottles of varied sodas, which is also a great addition.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 04:16:36 PM »
Plates and bevvies are provided for us - partially funded by $ contributions to the party fund by those unable or disinclined to bring food. I should have mentioned that I am trying to avoid crock pot dishes, as I'm not sure what the power outlet situation will be. Perhaps I will do an assortment of little cookies. Or from-scratch pumpkin pie (since I'm not making it for Thanksgiving this year). Or a yule log - I make rather a good one. Or I could contribute to the appetizers (we always need more of those) but I have no idea what to do for that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Amara

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »
Or a plate of various cheeses, crackers, breads and grapes.

Don't forget the cheese knife.

Lynnv

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Cheese and crackers always goes well.  Olives can be a good add on.

There are very few gatherings where deviled eggs are not a good addition.

Usually someone brings a veggie tray, but a fruit tray can be a nice change for those trying to cut down on calories.

Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 05:38:35 PM »
I once brought apple slices and was surprised at how big a hit they were. 

Someone once brought in a pizza sliced into little squares.  She thought people can nibble on it for lunch, but they were gone within the morning hour ;D

Spinach dip with bagel chips are also good and easy.  So are pinwheel sandwiches.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 06:35:14 PM »
One of my coworkers forgot it was potluck luncheon day and found out when she arrived at the office.  She ran out and bought a box of clementines - those little, seedless, mandarin type oranges.  They were a huge hit; very few were left at the end.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Betelnut

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »
Super brownies:

1 package of chocolate cookie dough, pressed out into a pan;
Oreo cookies arranged on top of cookie dough, single layer;
Prepare brownie mix from directions on package and pour onto the cookie dough/Oreo layer.
Bake.

Delicious!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Minmom3

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 09:50:49 PM »
Glazed carrots - sauce is butter, brown sugar & dijon mustard.

Chicken wing drummettes - sauce is equal parts Worcestershire and Pico Pica hot sauce.  (It's a really lazy but yummy dish to make)

Big green salad with home made vinaigrette dressing.  The only real work is your chopping prep work.

Pot pie - Use ALL the left overs in the fridge, make the white sauce using a meat broth, and make a pie crust to go on top (with vent holes).  I never have to take home more than the pan.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 10:00:24 PM »
I usually take a veggie platter with at least 2 dips.

Many people really appreciate a lighter option, and the veggies can be used for other dips and spreads - ssen it done lots of times.

cwm

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 10:21:49 AM »
This year I'm bringing a chocolate pecan pie. I'm already making two for other various celebrations, and adding a third isn't that hard, so why not?

I've also been known to bring homemade cinnamon rolls, but I love all the effort and work that goes into making them, so it's not so bad for me. I really enjoy baking.

I posted a beer and cheese dip in the recipes thread a while ago, it's always been a hit around my office.

And of course, if you feel confident enough that you can get an outlet, chili or soup. It's the perfect weather for it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 03:36:53 PM »
A big pot of cheese dip to go with bread, chips, vegetables, grapes and apples, pretzels, you name it!

sweetonsno

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »
Fondue in a little Crockpot/slow cooker? There are lots of kinds of fondues. Cheese, marinara, chili-cheese… I bet people would like that. I'd avoid a hot oil fondue for obvious reasons, but the other ones are probably okay.

If your coworkers usually are good about bringing dippables, maybe bring some dips beyond the usual ranch and salsa. Guacamole's often a winner (I'd stick to a simple recipe, as not everyone is enraptured with bacon and cilantro), hummus or a Tex-Mex bean dip would be good, tapenade or pesto. If you're worried about there being enough stuff for dipping, plain crostini would solve the problem nicely.