Author Topic: What to bring for office holiday potluck?  (Read 4277 times)

BigBadBetty

Re: What to bring for office holiday potluck?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
If there is enough people participating, don't be afraid to bring something interesting. I brought Thai squash curry and vegan spicy chili. Both times, it was devoured. They aren't to everyone's taste, but there are enough people like me who are relieved to find something outside the normal stuff. Even though both were vegetarian items, most of the people eating it were not vegetarian. My go-to dessert is brownies with peanut butter frosting: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Brownies-with-Peanut-Butter-Frosting-109715

Miss Tickle

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »
Chickpea salad!

Super easy to make, vegan (or not, as you wish), keeps for days so you can make ahead, no special prep required on site, easy to transport and serve, colourful, flavourful and healthy!

RubyCat

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 08:36:35 AM »
Last potluck at work, I brought meatballs and I was surprised how much my coworkers liked them because they were very simple.  I try to keep a batch of cooked homemade meatballs in the freezer as well as some cooked Italian sausage. I put them in the crockpot the night before with 3 smallish jars of pasta sauce and cooked them on low all night. Lugging the crockpot into work the next day was the hardest part. No leftovers.

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 05:19:56 AM »
For apps - I think Outdoor Girl's suggestion is excellent, especially if you can get large sprigs of rosemary (or small peeled juniper twigs)  to use as skewers.

Or you can try this:

Edamamole

1/2 cup fresh or frozen edamame, out of the pods
2 broccoli stalks, peeled
1/2 small purple onion OR 2 green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1-2 ripe avocados, peeled & pitted
juice of 1 lime
salt to taste
1 tomato, chopped (optional)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

- cook edamame and broccoli in boiling salted water for a few minutes, until very tender. Drain and rinse well with cold water
- put edamame, broccoli, onion, garlic, and jalapeno in food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- add avocado, lime juice, and salt and pulse until smooth.
-transfer to a bowl and stir in the tomato and cilantro (if using)
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »
Cold cajun shrimp and cocktail sauce.
Quiche, because you can eat it hot or cold.
Stuffed vine leaves (they're labor-intensive, though)
Cereal bars with peanut butter and Cocoa Pebbles

Those are my best ones.

Library Dragon

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 04:07:50 PM »
My go-to potluck dish is a crock pot full of those cocktail meatballs. Frozen meatballs, Heinz chili sauce, can of jellied cranberries. Done! They disappear quickly.

I'm stealing this!  We are having a party for someone graduating this month with her library degree.  I'm always stuck on simple things to serve. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »
Good quality shrimp rings are always a hit at any pot luck.  They might be a bit pricey but they make up for it on time spent preparing something.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 02:31:37 AM »
My go to is cocktail hotdogs.

2 lbs hot dogs, quartered.
1 c brown sugar
1 c ketchup
1/2 c whiskey

All ingredients in crock pot for about 6 hours on low.  Yummy and easy!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 06:57:44 AM »
Good quality shrimp rings are always a hit at any pot luck.  They might be a bit pricey but they make up for it on time spent preparing something.

Absolutely.  I do them myself, but I get them cleaned at the store and take the shells to make stock from.  I boil the shrimp in the stock and they taste so much better than the cooked ones available that are boiled in plain water.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »
Layered dips. You can do a Mediterranean one with hummus, pesto, cream cheese, tapenade and serve with crostini or pita chips.

Tex-Mex one with beans, sour cream, guacamole, then toppings and serve with tortilla chips.

workerbee

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 03:20:06 PM »
My go-to potluck dish is a crock pot full of those cocktail meatballs. Frozen meatballs, Heinz chili sauce, can of jellied cranberries. Done! They disappear quickly.

I'm stealing this!  We are having a party for someone graduating this month with her library degree.  I'm always stuck on simple things to serve.

Just took it to a gathering this past weekend and it was a hit! (as usual  :P)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »
Since the OP said she is looking for non-crockpot items, I'd like to suggest a cheese ball and crackers.
And for something slightly different from a standard one, this one was a crowd pleaser. A co-worker sent me a link to the recipe after she brought it to our Tday potluck.

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/appetizer/cheese-appetizer/pepper-jack-cheese-ball.html

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 01:31:16 PM »
Well, the end decision was cash.  ;D

We closed on a house on Wednesday and moving has not been as expedient as expected. So I'm just doing a cash contribution this year, and am bookmarking this thread for next year's party. :-)

Thanks, everyone!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Bobbie

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 09:03:20 PM »
Ham-cream cheese-pickled asparagus roll ups

Take the rectangle ham (I get mine at Costco, in fact I get all his stuff at Costco)

Cream cheese (I use the stuff in the tub, easier to spread)

Pickled asparagus (in a jar)

spread cream cheese on ham, put asparagus spear (dry with paper towel) on lengthwise, roll
cut in half for more portions

you can also use regulars pickles, but will have to quarter so they are thin

Firecat

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
If you want a dessert option for next year (or for another party this holiday season), try these salted caramel butter bars: http://cookiesandcups.com/dont-hate-me-because-im-butter-ful/.

They are AMAZING...I've brought them to several things (both work and social), and the most common reactions to the first bite are either "CRUD MONKEYS!!" or "I hate you" (the latter usually said with a full mouth as the speaker has shoved the rest of the bar into his/her mouth...)