Author Topic: What to bring for office holiday potluck?  (Read 4536 times)

gingerzing

Re: What to bring for office holiday potluck?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 03:43:56 PM »
Well, that makes it easy. 

For others that may be reading for ideas...

Non-slow cooker ideas appetizers-
*Pickle tray. In my house this is part of what you bring with the vegetable tray.  Sweet pickles minis/Dill pickle spears/olives (black and/or green or something more fancy)/Spiced Apple Rings/Pickled beets. 
*Deviled eggs go over really well (as long as you have a way to keep them cold before serving)
*The tiny clementines are a great idea.  Or any fruit like grapes or apple slices.
*Bite-size quiches (can be made a day or two ahead)
http://www.porkbeinspired.com/RecipeDetail/1626/Ham_and_Green_Chile_Bite_Size_Quiche.aspx
*Another skewer snack would be a Cuban Appetizer - a small skewer with a cubed ham, cubed Swiss cheese, mini dill pickles, thin sliced pork chop (or cubed) and have a mustard dip for it.
*Scones/Biscuits - sweet (chocolate chips or apple cinnamon) or savory (bacon with cheddar or basil and parmasan.)

Great now I am hungry.

sweetonsno

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 03:05:00 AM »
Well, that makes it easy. 

For others that may be reading for ideas...

Non-slow cooker ideas appetizers-
*Pickle tray. In my house this is part of what you bring with the vegetable tray.  Sweet pickles minis/Dill pickle spears/olives (black and/or green or something more fancy)/Spiced Apple Rings/Pickled beets
*Deviled eggs go over really well (as long as you have a way to keep them cold before serving)
*The tiny clementines are a great idea.  Or any fruit like grapes or apple slices.
*Bite-size quiches (can be made a day or two ahead)
http://www.porkbeinspired.com/RecipeDetail/1626/Ham_and_Green_Chile_Bite_Size_Quiche.aspx
*Another skewer snack would be a Cuban Appetizer - a small skewer with a cubed ham, cubed Swiss cheese, mini dill pickles, thin sliced pork chop (or cubed) and have a mustard dip for it.
*Scones/Biscuits - sweet (chocolate chips or apple cinnamon) or savory (bacon with cheddar or basil and parmasan.)

Great now I am hungry.

I would probably wind up eating a quarter of this by myself. I love pickled stuff.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 08:00:55 AM »
Re the pickled tray, gardinera is a great addition and either inexpensive to buy or easy to make.

Save the brine from a jar of your favorite pickles and put cut celery, cauliflower, and carrots into it.  Store for a week in the fridge.  Delish.

gingerzing

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 10:52:18 AM »
Re the pickled tray, gardinera is a great addition and either inexpensive to buy or easy to make.

Save the brine from a jar of your favorite pickles and put cut celery, cauliflower, and carrots into it.  Store for a week in the fridge.  Delish.

Totally forgot about that.  That stuff is great. 
Yeah, my grown niece and I ate about a third of the olives over Thanksgiving. (there were 2 cans of black and 1 jar of green) 
One of DH's aunts use to make pickled green beans.  YUM.
And I have a friend that does spiced/pickled pumpkin that is delish.

Mikayla

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 02:06:25 PM »
My go-to potluck dish is a crock pot full of those cocktail meatballs. Frozen meatballs, Heinz chili sauce, can of jellied cranberries. Done! They disappear quickly.

I'm stealing this!  We are having a party for someone graduating this month with her library degree.  I'm always stuck on simple things to serve.

I concur!  I personally am not a fan, but I did wedding catering in grad school, and these were always something I recommended and always the first to go.  (When I say "these" I mean any variation on sweet/savory meatballs).

OP, if your office has a kitchen, I'd think there'd be power strips or something available to keep things like this warm if there aren't enough outlets.

lowspark

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »
Another great E-Z sauce for meatballs is ketchup & beer. I know it sounds icky but it's delicious. I don't remember the exact amounts but about 1:1.

And another way-to-easy but popular item is little smokies in bbq sauce.

Also, a cheese plate. Don't bother cutting up the cheese, just put whole blocks of cheese, three to five blocks of different kinds of cheese, depending on the number attending, with a knife for each block and a couple different kinds of crackers. Again, very little work but very popular.

Or the crowd-pleasing cream cheese block covered with jelly. Jalepeno jelly or any hot (spicy) jelly works best but I've seen it done with just about any kind or with salsa. Serve with crackers.

If you have a crock pot, melted velveeta with rotel is always a hit. I haven't made it in a long time but I used to throw in chopped onions and a can of chili (no beans). Serve with fritos or tortilla chips. People love the stuff.

Can you tell, I'm all about simple/easy? Actually if it's my own party, I usually do a couple of elaborate (read: labor intensive and impressive) items and fill in the rest with super easy stuff.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 10:14:15 AM »
My DD's favorite dessert to bring:

Big tub of Nestle's tollhouse cookie mix
Family size brownie mix
Oreos

Take  9x13 pan.  Line it with parchment paper.
On the bottom layer, put all the cookie dough.
Then layer with oreos.
Then make brownie mix as directed and pour over the top. 
Bake a t 350 for 45 min.

Betelnut

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »
My DD's favorite dessert to bring:

Big tub of Nestle's tollhouse cookie mix
Family size brownie mix
Oreos

Take  9x13 pan.  Line it with parchment paper.
On the bottom layer, put all the cookie dough.
Then layer with oreos.
Then make brownie mix as directed and pour over the top. 
Bake a t 350 for 45 min.

I posted the same recipe!  (Post #9)

Great minds (er, stomachs?) think alike!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
I make Oreo Truffles every year - they are a big hit.  And SO, SO simple.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 05:27:47 PM »
It reminds me of the Dirt Pudding that was very popular at my high school.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2013, 06:05:41 PM »
I make Oreo cheesecake truffles and Nutter Butter cheesecake truffles.

DollyPond

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »

Or the crowd-pleasing cream cheese block covered with jelly. Jalepeno jelly or any hot (spicy) jelly works best but I've seen it done with just about any kind or with salsa. Serve with crackers.

Another topping for the cream cheese is a bottle of Pickapeppa sauce (http://www.pickapeppa.com) with some pineapple preserves mixed in.  It comes out sweet and hot.  It LOOKS awful but tastes great!  I have even put a sign on the dish saying "I know it looks bad but just taste it you will really like it."

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »

Another topping for the cream cheese is a bottle of Pickapeppa sauce (http://www.pickapeppa.com) with some pineapple preserves mixed in.  It comes out sweet and hot.  It LOOKS awful but tastes great!  I have even put a sign on the dish saying "I know it looks bad but just taste it you will really like it."
I thought my BIL was the only one to do this. And I must say, it's the only use of Pickapeppa sauce I've ever seen. I think I'm going to go research how other's use it.
I thought my b

I thought my

scarlett

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2013, 01:53:33 PM »
Okay, thread jacking here. I need a warm appetizer for my office pot-luck next Saturday. Crock pot is good. any ideas?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »
I haven't made it but I just came across this twist on meatballs and it sounds wonderful.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/quick-shrimp-chowder-10000000569452/

This is an excellent crab dip. You can either bake and move to a crockpot to stay warm or you can mix up the night before, put in the crockpot, and then once at the office turn to  low and cook for 2 to 3 hours till hot once you get to the office.
Lemoned Crabmeat
Alice Craig
Appeared in 1st Junior League of Houston Cookbook.
1 pound crabmeat
Juice of one lemon
1 medium onion, minced
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons flour (scant)
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
dash white pepper
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or more)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce