General Etiquette > Family and Children

father demanding to know law school GPA

(1/20) > >>

Adelaide:
Yesterday I told my parents of my career plans. My father asked what my GPA was (I told him that I wasn't in the top 10% and realistically wasn't getting into one of the powerhouse firms right away), and I told him that was private and personal information I didn't discuss with anyone, even friends. The only people who get our GPA's are employers if they ask-law students don't talk about it. My father advanced two arguments: If I wasn't telling him my GPA I must be ashamed of it, and that he "obviously isn't important enough" to know it. This is something that he's extremely offended about and I can't figure out why. He scoffs at what he calls the "cloak-and-dagger" mentality of law school. To me, this is private information, period.  He's not paying for my schoolwork and it doesn't affect him except (apparently) emotionally.

I've never reached an impasse like this before. I know he's going to bring it up again, but I feel like we're going to rehash the same arguments over and over again, which I don't want to do. I don't know what to say to either a) get him to see my side or b) be quiet about it. Does e-hell have any ideas?

demarco:
Avoid him for a while. If he brings up the subject the next time you see or talk to him, avoid him some more.

Adelaide:

--- Quote from: demarco on November 26, 2013, 05:51:59 PM ---Avoid him for a while. If he brings up the subject the next time you see or talk to him, avoid him some more.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately I'm home for Thanksgiving. :/

immadz:
Why does he want to know a number value?

immadz:
Could you give a non-commital answer... something like I am passing and am reasonably okay. May be he is worried for your future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version