General Etiquette > Family and Children

father demanding to know law school GPA

<< < (2/20) > >>

Adelaide:

--- Quote from: immadz on November 26, 2013, 05:55:09 PM ---Could you give a non-commital answer... something like I am passing and am reasonably okay. May be he is worried for your future.

--- End quote ---

I did that. I told him I was slightly above the middle of my class and he said "Well, the middle on a 4.0 scale is a 2.0, so I'm assuming you have a 2.0 unless you tell me differently. I just said "Okay, I don't really care" and he continued blustering.

JenJay:
"Dad, that's extremely personal. It would be like me asking how your latest work eval went or what your last merit-based raise was. I know it doesn't seem the same to you, but it is to me. I don't discuss it with anyone so there's no reason for you to feel excluded."

PastryGoddess:
Just keep repeating that it's none of his business.  and agree with everything he says.  Make it into a joke, see how many words you can use to agree without repeating yourself.  It also helps if you can look at from an anthropologist observing a particularly odd native culture point of view.

If he says it's a 2.0, say yup! 
If he claims you don't love him, say absolutely!
If he says you are ashamed, say yessir!

Lady Snowdon:
Has he told you why he's so upset about this?  For someone who isn't paying for your education, he really seems emotionally invested!  Can you give him a generic answer of some kind?  For example, when I was getting my MBA, my university required that I keep a 3.0 average or above to continue enrolling, so if my parents asked I could tell them, "Well, I have to have a 3.0 to keep taking classes and there's no worries about that!". 

nolechica:

--- Quote from: Lady Snowdon on November 26, 2013, 06:20:01 PM ---Has he told you why he's so upset about this?  For someone who isn't paying for your education, he really seems emotionally invested!  Can you give him a generic answer of some kind?  For example, when I was getting my MBA, my university required that I keep a 3.0 average or above to continue enrolling, so if my parents asked I could tell them, "Well, I have to have a 3.0 to keep taking classes and there's no worries about that!".

--- End quote ---

My History Masters did as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version