News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 07:36:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Actually, YOU'RE doing it wrong...  (Read 13141 times)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
Re: Actually, YOU'RE doing it wrong...
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2013, 06:23:47 AM »

As an aside, my name is pronounced differently by native English speakers and native Spanish speakers - and I live in a border city so I interact with a large number of the latter.  I've never been bothered by this - I'm quite happy to consider both pronunciations 'correct' depending on the speakers dialect.

I accept 3 pronunciations as valid for my first name: US, Finnish and Spanish. Four if you count the Midwestern version which turns the internal t to a d. I accept 3 for my last: one German (or Dutch) and two US. One of those stresses syllables a little differently.

As for Favre,  having heard the French pronunciation I can see how over the years it easily could get turned into Farve.
Nothing to see here.

paintpots

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »
This thread needs Mr. Higgins! (Or was it doctor?)

OP, a shorter version of what you've decided to go with is, "He said it's Faust." 
That may be non e-hell approved though, as it's decidedly a conversation ender.

Catherine Zeta Jones is another celeb with a name that is often mispronounced.

Okay, now I have to ask -- how do you say her name correctly?  I've always heard and said "Zay-ta".  And I really hope that's the part you're talking about, because if I've been saying Jones wrong all these years....    :P

As far as I'm aware, it's pronounced 'Zee-ta'. At least, when I think with my welsh head on, that's how it comes out.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2013, 02:29:18 PM »
As far as I'm aware, it's pronounced 'Zee-ta'. At least, when I think with my welsh head on, that's how it comes out.

That's how I've always thought it is pronounced.  I've never actually heard anyone pronounce it "Zay-tuh."

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2013, 06:30:02 PM »

There's a quite prominent British town, whose name has a completely standard and universal pronunciation throughout the UK -- except by my friend, who pronounces it differently -- the way he was taught at school. Only a matter of one different vowel sound, but it grates on me.  I said to him once, "Everyone else in the country gives the place, pronunciation A.  Are you going to tell me that they're all wrong, and you and the people who taught you, with pronunciation B, are the only ones who have it right?"  He replied in all seriousness, "Yes, everyone else in the country does pronounce it wrongly."

Now I'm curious...

The town concerned, is Holyhead -- important ferry port for Ireland. To the best of my knowledge, everyone in Britain pronounces it "Holly-head" (like in the evergreen); except for my friend, who pronounces it like "Hoaly-head" (the first two syllables, as in the word meaning godly / sacred). He contends that it would be right to say "Hollyhead" if the place were spelt that way; but as it's spelt with one "l", obviously the correct pronunciation is "Hoaly..." and to blazes with how the entire population actually does say it.

I perceive my friend -- and thus presumably, those who taught him long ago -- as harbouring the mistaken notion that English pronunciation follows spelling and the supposed rules for same, much more faithfully than it in fact does.

If that's how he pronounces Holyhead, how does he pronounce Dún Laoghaire?
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 12:47:52 AM »

There's a quite prominent British town, whose name has a completely standard and universal pronunciation throughout the UK -- except by my friend, who pronounces it differently -- the way he was taught at school. Only a matter of one different vowel sound, but it grates on me.  I said to him once, "Everyone else in the country gives the place, pronunciation A.  Are you going to tell me that they're all wrong, and you and the people who taught you, with pronunciation B, are the only ones who have it right?"  He replied in all seriousness, "Yes, everyone else in the country does pronounce it wrongly."

Now I'm curious...

The town concerned, is Holyhead -- important ferry port for Ireland. To the best of my knowledge, everyone in Britain pronounces it "Holly-head" (like in the evergreen); except for my friend, who pronounces it like "Hoaly-head" (the first two syllables, as in the word meaning godly / sacred). He contends that it would be right to say "Hollyhead" if the place were spelt that way; but as it's spelt with one "l", obviously the correct pronunciation is "Hoaly..." and to blazes with how the entire population actually does say it.

I perceive my friend -- and thus presumably, those who taught him long ago -- as harbouring the mistaken notion that English pronunciation follows spelling and the supposed rules for same, much more faithfully than it in fact does.

Since he's an extreme conservative -- Kingstown  ;) .

PastryGoddess

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2013, 01:57:46 AM »

Now I'm curious...

Since he's an extreme conservative -- Kingstown  ;) .

congrats..you just won the interwebs