News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 27, 2015, 12:17:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But I just wanna know...  (Read 2787 times)

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
Re: But I just wanna know...
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 05:29:27 PM »
>:D
I think I would be tempted to make a game of it, and see how many e-hell phrases I could use in a day or even a conversation..

"Why would I do that?"
"I'm afraid that's not possible"
the silence

(Isn't there more than three? I'm drawing a brain blank.)

I'd also throw in a few others for responding to I want to know, like, "Curiousity killed the cat." "It is what it is, and that's just how it is." "If wishes were fishes beggars would ride." "How lovely for you, the only thing I'm curious about lately is how on earth they get those little boats in the jars."

You forgot, "what an interesting assumption!"

One of my favorite totally noncommittal vocalizations is, "Really? Huh." You can emphasize that all different ways: surprise, pensiveness, empathy, totally flat. You are neither agreeing nor disagreeing, nor giving them any handhold to latch onto. And it's really boring for other people.  ;)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 08:49:51 PM »
"Why do you want to know?  Are you after my job?" 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 09:37:22 PM »
I'd be more direct "You do not work for my company, I do not appreciate your comments on how to do my job."

It looks like she's slow at taking a hint.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 02:58:52 AM »
"I don't want to talk about work."
"Well, I just want to know!"
"But you don't need to, and I don't want to talk about work." Big smile, bean dip.

Or possibly you might need to go with "Becky, I'm sorry, I'm busy and don't have time to chat (at all) right now." Perhaps use that line at work, and default to using the first script when you run into her outside of work and are happy to talk (for a little while!) about non-work things?

Honestly, it sounds like with her it may have to be all or nothing - she has no compromise level between "Tell me everything and let me talk to you all the time and give you totally useless advice!" and no talking at all. She already hasn't accepted one pushback from you and is trying to go right back to what she was doing before, just adding a whiny little justification as to why she's asking. (Nosiness and boredom, pure and simple.)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Roses

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 03:14:09 PM »
Her:  But I just want to know
You: I'm afraid that won't be possible. I won't share company information with people outside the company
You:  Silence and firm stare.  If you have "The Look" perfected, even better
You:  Do you remember what happened last time we had this discussion in detail?  You were very unhappy.  I'd hate to have to go there again, but if you insist on trying to get confidential company information from me again, we will have to stop talking all together.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 03:57:34 PM »
A snarky response.

For non-snarky responses I like Roses and Mel the Redcap above.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain