Etiquette School is in session! > "So kind of you to take an interest."

Not-So-Kind Interest - Fashion Police Attack

<< < (3/3)

Allyson:
I "love" how people seriously think that certain outfits actually make one more likely to be the victim of a crime. Not only is this offensive, it's also statistically inaccurate. Anecdotal evidence (as in 'me and people I've talked to about this issue') show it doesn't even make one less likely to get harassed in public (except apparently by overexcited bus stop ladies..). I have been catcalled when wearing a huge winter coat and ignored when dressed in club clothes.

Lula:
But wearing short skirts IS dangerous.  You risk being assailed by nosy grannies and their wandering opinions.

Sounds to me like somebody needs to lecture this busybody about the legitimate danger of picking fights with strangers at a city bus stop.  One of these days she's going to provoke the wrong person.

Let Them Eat Cake:
I'm kind of late for this one, but I figured I'd vent, because this totally reminds me of something that happened to me a couple months ago.

I was walking down the street with my boyfriend, and this woman pulled up and started going off on me about how short my skirt was, and "do you really want boys looking at you?"-- this was, mind you, a relatively conservative black knee-length skirt and not form-fitting in the least. This woman was nuts. (And even if it had been a neon bodycon skirt or something, it wouldn't have been her or anyone else's business to begin with.) We decided not to engage her and kept on walking, and she kept on following us in her car, saying, "I'm just letting you know so you don't wear it again!" Pretty soon, I just turned to her while she was mid-sentence and dismissively went, "Have a nice day!" And that's when she finally decided to throw in the towel and keep on driving. There's a lot to be said for "killing them with kindness" I guess.

Not-so-ironically, the day my boyfriend lost his belt and spent the whole day with his pants falling down, nobody followed him in their car chewing him out for it. Seems like the fashion police only goes after women. ;/

Minmom3:
IMO, that's because men, for some odd reason, are not as submissive when people offer unsolicited opinions on their garments.  It's just not part of the whole male schtick to give a hoot and holler what other men wear, but women are supposed to CARE when people share their opinions...  We're supposed to receive that information politely. Gratefully.

Kiwipinball:

--- Quote from: Minmom3 on January 20, 2015, 01:54:01 AM ---IMO, that's because men, for some odd reason, are not as submissive when people offer unsolicited opinions on their garments.  It's just not part of the whole male schtick to give a hoot and holler what other men wear, but women are supposed to CARE when people share their opinions...  We're supposed to receive that information politely. Gratefully.

--- End quote ---

I think a lot of it goes to the double standard. The only phrases I know for shaming men who sleep around (not that there's any need to shame adults who have committed no crimes) is to add the word "male" in front of a word usually used to shame women. Women are not supposed to sleep around, are supposed to dress in ways that don't lead to them getting raped, etc. Of course, the outfit one wears does not actually lead to rape (or fend it off), but that's the attitude that's still out there. Although most people, thankfully, do not follow people and criticize their outfits from cars. For which we can all be grateful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version