Etiquette School is in session! > "So kind of you to take an interest."

Not-So-Kind Interest - Fashion Police Attack

<< < (2/3) > >>

RooRoo:
"How kind of you to take an interest" is not said as if you think the person was being kind to take an interest! It is not even said in a neutral tone of voice. It is said very coldly, with raised eyebrows if possible. One then turns away before they can answer. Essentially, it is an etiquette-approved way of saying "Mind your own [expletive] business, you [expletive]!"

Thanks to this board, I have learned that having good manners does not mean having to be nice to absolutely everybody, no matter how awful they are. It just means that we do not descend into using foul language when we are forced to deal with bacon-fed knaves.*

*I chose that phrase; it's not a result of the filter!  ;D

Softly Spoken:

--- Quote from: RooRoo on December 05, 2013, 09:03:59 PM ---"How kind of you to take an interest" is not said as if you think the person was being kind to take an interest! It is not even said in a neutral tone of voice. It is said very coldly, with raised eyebrows if possible. One then turns away before they can answer. Essentially, it is an etiquette-approved way of saying "Mind your own [expletive] business, you [expletive]!"

Thanks to this board, I have learned that having good manners does not mean having to be nice to absolutely everybody, no matter how awful they are. It just means that we do not descend into using foul language when we are forced to deal with bacon-fed knaves.*

*I chose that phrase; it's not a result of the filter!  ;D

--- End quote ---

Ah yes I forgot about tone. Not that rude people are masters at recognizing nuance.  ::)
Your comment sort of reminds me of the saying about the definition of diplomacy as the art of telling someone to go to (eHell) in such a way that they look forward to taking the trip.  ;D There is something wickedly satisfying about occasionally using the strategic position of the high road to drop a karmic water balloon on someone... >:D

TootsNYC:

--- Quote ---. I would have thought "mind your own business" would be a more accurate response than "the unsolicited opinion you have chosen to inflict on a total stranger happens to be inaccurate." I don't see how he thought the best way to diffuse the situation was to somehow change the woman's opinion of short skirts. I think it was a roundabout way of telling her to hush the blank up, i.e. you are wrong = there is nothing more to be said/end of 'discussion.'

--- End quote ---

He was thinking on his feet. I think he did fine.

Bales:
Would it have been rude if he struck up a conversation with the NOB?  Something along the lines of:

NOB: "blah blah blah, you'll be lucky if you're not raped and killed wearing that skirt...."
Annoyed man:  "That's so great of you to show your concern.  You know what else leads to murder? Making unsolicited and rude comments about someone's attire.  Just wanted to warn you like you're trying to warn this nice young lady."

Ok, maybe that would be rude, but it would have been nice to see!   >:D

JoieGirl7:
Sounds like no one really needed to say anything at all.  The girl herself was handling it just fine by not reacting to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version