Author Topic: Times when it is the perfect phrase  (Read 3118 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Times when it is the perfect phrase
« on: November 28, 2013, 10:42:10 PM »
Tonight we got a call that showed up on our caller ID as being from a bank.
They asked to speak to one of our adult children and I told them she was away at college.

The caller then said "And do you also bank with [bank]?"

I had an EHell flash and merely said "That's certainly an interesting assumption."

I was kind of surprised when the call-center guy laughed.
He pointed out that usually more than one person in a household tends to use a service.

My polite response was that since he clearly didn't know where I banked, then he couldn't have information on my account, and since that was the case I didn't need to discuss my banking needs as I was quite happy with my bank.

He quite cheerfully wished me a good evening.
Honestly, I think that the whole ' interesting assumption' sort of disarmed him and redirected the conversation.
Go EHell!!!

cwm

Re: Times when it is the perfect phrase
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »
YAY!

Honestly, the polite people I spoke to when I had my brief stint at a call center made my night. You probably cheered up that day while still being polite about not wanting to be talked to. Go you!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 03:47:14 PM »
I'm sorry, but I think that wasn't a good use of the phrase. What's wrong with "no, I don't"? He didn't make any kind of "interesting assumption." He asked a simple question.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

jmarvellous

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »
I'm sorry, but I think that wasn't a good use of the phrase. What's wrong with "no, I don't"? He didn't make any kind of "interesting assumption." He asked a simple question.

I agree. In this case, I think you were actually quite impolite, and unnecessarily so.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »
Whoa!!  Why should she have told him whether or not she banked at "his" bank?  As she correctly pointed out, if she did, he'd know it.  The records would be right there in front of his face.

She also didn't necessarily know whether or not her daughter banked there!  Maybe she does, maybe she doesn't.  In any case the guy was a telemarketer and he was "fishing".  I'm glad she didn't take the bite and give him any additional information that he did not NEED to know.

White Dragon, I don't think you were rude at all!  Rude might have involved slamming down the receiver or yelling at him for interrupting your favorite TV show.

jmarvellous

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »
"I will not disclose that information." or "That's private information."

"I don't discuss my banking with telemarketers." or "If I have any concerns about my bank, I will address them directly."

"No thank you, goodbye."

All better than a statement that doesn't make much sense in the situation and puts the worker on the other end of the line on the defensive.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »

It's hard to convey tone online, but the phrasing and tone of his question was very much that he assumed Daughter and I shared that bank.
He was very polite and friendly, but he was definitely making the assumption.

In point of fact, it was our bank, but I don't discuss banking info in unsolicited calls. I did not want to fib, so I tried to deflect the question. He did explain why he had assumed I was a customer, but it was a very friendly conversation.