Author Topic: Obama-Castro Handshake--What Would Etiquette Demand?  (Read 1370 times)

sunseenli

Obama-Castro Handshake--What Would Etiquette Demand?
« on: December 11, 2013, 03:55:41 PM »
It's funny; I'm a long-time reader, first time poster, but when I saw the news last night regarding President Obama's handshake with President Castro at the Mandela Memorial last night, my very first thought was, "What would EHellions think?"  I was surprised there was no thread already created for this!

Putting my own personal political opinions aside, I'm guessing that in EHell terms, the long-standing economic sanctions would probably be a little below the "Cut Direct" in interpersonal relationships.  But when both parties found themselves at a neutral event--"hosted" by somebody else--do you feel that etiquette dictates that both parties put their differences aside (if for no other reason than as a sign of respect to the host, and/or the meaning of the event)?  Or does initiating (or at least allowing) contact contradict the point of the "Cut Direct"?

cass2591

• Global Moderator
Re: Obama-Castro Handshake--What Would Etiquette Demand?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »
You know what's really funny? Here you claim to be a long time reader so you must know the policy against discussing politics, especially something to controversial as this. And you're surprised no thread has been created? Here's your answer--they know better.

Pull crap like this again and you will be banned because frankly my troll detector is very screaming right now.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:26:15 PM by cass2591 »
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.