Author Topic: "Bachelor" producer in note-passing war on airplane on Thanksgiving  (Read 3926 times)

DCGirl

Elan Gale, a producer, got into a note-passing "war" with another passenger on a plane on Thanksgiving.  According to him, the woman was rude both to ground and in-flight personnel and complaining loudly and often because the flight was delayed.  So, once on board, he sent her a glass of wine and a note.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11/29/elan-gale-vs-diane-live-tweeted-mid-air-thanksgiving-spat-_n_4359131.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

I think we've all been in line behind or seated next to the customer who will not stop complaining, but passing notes seems childish, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:25:57 PM by DCGirl »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: "Bachelor" producer in note-passing war on airplane on Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »
You know, I bet the flight attendant was thrilled with his "support". Oh, not really, because she had to deal with two passengers apparently getting into a physical disagreement.

Elan might have helped by actually trying to sooth the woman, rather than rile her up.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 12:21:18 PM »
And the whole "eat my...." was really over the top. I wouldn't have supported any of his notes, but that really just put it over ANOTHER line.

Carotte

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 12:37:45 PM »
And the whole "eat my...." was really over the top. I wouldn't have supported any of his notes, but that really just put it over ANOTHER line.

I was already thinking the note passing and alcohol dropping was too childish and PA but I just stopped reading the thing after the "eat my..". He lost all my sympathy there.
Had he stuck to venting on twitter it would have been fun but not that.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 12:48:59 PM »
Or if he'd sent the wine along with a note that said, "I couldn't help but notice that you are particularly stressed about getting home for Thanksgiving. All the rest of us have exactly the same frustration--you are not the only person for whom this is Thanksgiving, and your reaction has unfortunately made this even more stressful for the rest of us. I hope you can relax and regain some perspective. Happy Thanksgiving."

But Evan would probably not have been willing to spend any money to genuinely make people feel better--he'd only be willing to fork out dough to be entertained.

Kari

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »

I was already thinking the note passing and alcohol dropping was too childish and PA but I just stopped reading the thing after the "eat my..". He lost all my sympathy there.
Had he stuck to venting on twitter it would have been fun but not that.

Absolutely. His note-passing and name-calling was childish enough, but when he escalated further into vulgarity, I had enough of this guy and him self-congratulatory attitude. He chose insert himself into a situation which was already difficult for the flight attendants (which I'm sure they just LOVED) and created another problem where there was none. Not impressed with this arrogant guy at all.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 01:08:52 PM »
Or if he'd sent the wine along with a note that said, "I couldn't help but notice that you are particularly stressed about getting home for Thanksgiving. All the rest of us have exactly the same frustration--you are not the only person for whom this is Thanksgiving, and your reaction has unfortunately made this even more stressful for the rest of us. I hope you can relax and regain some perspective. Happy Thanksgiving."

But Evan would probably not have been willing to spend any money to genuinely make people feel better--he'd only be willing to fork out dough to be entertained.

Maybe not even be chiding - perhaps if she'd gotten a note that said, "Here, I understand you're stressed out. Maybe this will help," she would have thought "Hey, someone 'gets' that I'm having a terrible time here, and has shown me a little kindness. Maybe I don't feel quite so hostile all of a sudden."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Rohanna

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 02:24:08 PM »
I think she was being an entitled and nasty person- the kind of person *no* one wants to deal with at work, and I would have had absolutely no problem with him addressing her in an appropriate manner. However he chose an antagonistic tone gaurunteed to make matters worse, in fact he reminds me of the sibling who knows that their older brother is on his last warning and pinches him while Mom isn't looking....
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 12:44:41 PM »
Well, he is a Bachelor producer, after all. Drama is his life.    ::)

Both of them strike me as too self involved.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »
He was antagonizing the woman for his own enjoyment. So who us really the more evil of the two?

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 09:45:34 PM »
He deliberately chose to make things worse by poking at her. She's a clod, but he's even worse.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 01:15:03 AM »
I want to point out two things:

1. I find the whole story quite...odd. Where is the gate agent who asked Gale if he wanted to press charges? From the other people who saw the slap? Also, how big was this plane? It's my understanding that Elan was in Row 2, which is first class. The female passenger was in Row 7, which should be coach. Elan should not have been able to hear Diane since a wall separates them.

2. Someone from Diane's family posted that Diane has terminal cancer and that she was so irate because it was her last Thanksgiving.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 04:31:20 AM »
A lot of my friends on FB thought this was really funny, but I didn't.  I'm sorry, but even though there is no excuse for physical violence, he riled her to that point.  I've been sitting behind a constant complainer before and it is irritating when everyone's in the same boat, but no way would I ever resort to retaliatory rudeness. In fact I'm unsure as to whether it even is retaliatory rudeness as she didn't show rudeness to him in particular, she was frustrated at the situation and didn't handle it well.

As to whether it was this woman's last Thanksgiving or not, I'm unsure as to whether to believe that.  It seems somewhat farfetched but maybe I am cynical!
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »
Well, true or not, someone can be freaking out for various reasons, not all of them being that they are a permanent special snowflake, and one can't assume that one is aware of all the circumstances.