Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

What is an "accent" plate?

<< < (2/2)

Hmmmmm:
I always thought the accent plate was in a complimentary but not matching pattern to your standard china and usually more ornate. It's normally the size of a salad or dessert plate and can be used for either course.it look pretty when setting a formal table but I seldom use mine other than dressing up my china cabinet.

TootsNYC:
Chargers are actually *not* supposed to stay on the table once the food arrives. And an accent plate is really just a decorative term for a bread or salad plate that doesn't match exactly. It wld be better to have the accent plate used for bread if you want it to stay. But it's also not bad to have it atop the main plate for salad so it does its "eye candy" work before the food arrives.

lady_disdain:

--- Quote from: TootsNYC on November 30, 2013, 01:32:23 PM ---Chargers are actually *not* supposed to stay on the table once the food arrives. And an accent plate is really just a decorative term for a bread or salad plate that doesn't match exactly. It wld be better to have the accent plate used for bread if you want it to stay. But it's also not bad to have it atop the main plate for salad so it does its "eye candy" work before the food arrives.

--- End quote ---

The charger is either brought to the table with the first course or placed ahead of time. However, it is only removed for the entree. Of course, proper multi course meals are rare these days, so this is often ignored.

http://www.emilypost.com/everyday-manners/table-manners/372

TootsNYC:
That's heartening to know! I have chargers my mom gave me as a wedding present, and it always seems so fiddly to take them off so soon, so I frequently don't even bother to use them.

AuntieA:
I get so growly & stabby when I see the chargers remain in use with the entrees on shows like Come Dine With Me Canada and Dinner Party Wars.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version