Author Topic: What is an "accent" plate?  (Read 1976 times)

mrkitty

What is an "accent" plate?
« on: November 29, 2013, 10:30:24 PM »
So I got bored and started looking at fine china dinnerware sets on Macy's web site. I keep seeing five-piece sets that include dinner plate, salad plate, soup bowl, tea cup & saucer and and accent plate.

Just curious....what is an "accent" plate and how and when is it to be used?
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

mrkitty

Re: What is an "accent" plate?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 10:49:52 PM »
Ok, never mind. I figured it out. The system wouldn't let me delete the topic.

Basically, in case anyone is curious, the charger goes under the dinner plate and stays there through all courses except dessert. The accent plate can be used as a dessert plate or for side dishes.

Sorry to waste anyone's time...thanks, though!

Hillia

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 11:48:13 PM »
It's also sometimes referred to as a charger.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

mrkitty

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »
I thought that too, Hillia, but I read that they are, in fact, distinct from each other. That's what I was confused about.

peaches

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 11:26:37 AM »
Yep, and they can be very pretty!

It's basically a pattern that blends with but isn't identical to the original dishes pattern.

I think this is a modern idea. I don't remember these being offered back when I got married, or in the dishes my mom or aunts had.

But I've seen them in newer patterns (when I've accessed bridal registries, for example).

Often they are salad plate size. I've also seen accent bowls, and additional dinner plates that can be interchanged with the original pattern.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »
I always thought the accent plate was in a complimentary but not matching pattern to your standard china and usually more ornate. It's normally the size of a salad or dessert plate and can be used for either course.it look pretty when setting a formal table but I seldom use mine other than dressing up my china cabinet.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 01:32:23 PM »
Chargers are actually *not* supposed to stay on the table once the food arrives. And an accent plate is really just a decorative term for a bread or salad plate that doesn't match exactly. It wld be better to have the accent plate used for bread if you want it to stay. But it's also not bad to have it atop the main plate for salad so it does its "eye candy" work before the food arrives.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 07:42:15 PM »
Chargers are actually *not* supposed to stay on the table once the food arrives. And an accent plate is really just a decorative term for a bread or salad plate that doesn't match exactly. It wld be better to have the accent plate used for bread if you want it to stay. But it's also not bad to have it atop the main plate for salad so it does its "eye candy" work before the food arrives.

The charger is either brought to the table with the first course or placed ahead of time. However, it is only removed for the entree. Of course, proper multi course meals are rare these days, so this is often ignored.

http://www.emilypost.com/everyday-manners/table-manners/372

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 07:59:16 PM »
That's heartening to know! I have chargers my mom gave me as a wedding present, and it always seems so fiddly to take them off so soon, so I frequently don't even bother to use them.

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 05:26:53 AM »
I get so growly & stabby when I see the chargers remain in use with the entrees on shows like Come Dine With Me Canada and Dinner Party Wars.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.