General Etiquette > Family and Children

I don't really know what to think of this.

<< < (2/9) > >>

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: citadelle on November 30, 2013, 08:04:38 PM ---I wish she'd said thanks, but I don't blame her, especially at that age, for not wanting to make gift opening a spectacle. It is possible that it wasn't a matter of being unable to wait, but wanting to be more discreet.

--- End quote ---

It might also be possible that at twelve, she's finally begun to realize that every. single. year her birthday gets lumped into Thanksgiving festivities.  Maybe she just feels that her birthday obviously isn't important enough to be celebrated on its own merit (as possibly her cousins' birthdays may be) and it's just not as fun for her as it seems to be for all the adults at her "party".  It's as though she's an "also ran" part of the main event, which is NOT her birthday.

Hopefully, you'll all receive Thank You notes.  Yes.  That is important.  But I confess to feeling just a wee teeny bit sorry for her. 

TootsNYC:
I can also see her just not wanting to wait for all the effort and hooplah involved in calling everyone back in to witness the present opening. How long would it take, how much "everyone come now, it's time!" kind of yelling around, and now it's a whole big production!

Nikko-chan:

--- Quote from: gramma dishes on November 30, 2013, 08:10:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: citadelle on November 30, 2013, 08:04:38 PM ---I wish she'd said thanks, but I don't blame her, especially at that age, for not wanting to make gift opening a spectacle. It is possible that it wasn't a matter of being unable to wait, but wanting to be more discreet.

--- End quote ---

It might also be possible that at twelve, she's finally begun to realize that every. single. year her birthday gets lumped into Thanksgiving festivities.  Maybe she just feels that her birthday obviously isn't important enough to be celebrated on its own merit (as possibly her cousins' birthdays may be) and it's just not as fun for her as it seems to be for all the adults at her "party".  It's as though she's an "also ran" part of the main event, which is NOT her birthday.

Hopefully, you'll all receive Thank You notes.  Yes.  That is important.  But I confess to feeling just a wee teeny bit sorry for her.

--- End quote ---

You might be right, though she only has one other cousin, and we actually don't normally get together for that cousins birthday, like, ever.  Her mother actually has something similar (born near christmas and celebrated on christmas day with a cake)

Unfortunately I can tell you we will not receive a thank you note. Little Cousin 1 has probably not heard of them :/

AnnaJ:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

It sounds like her parents and grandparents give her gifts at a separate time, likely on her birthday itself.  I don't know if she has a birthday party, but at her age it would probably be with friends and not extended family, so this seems like an 'extra' birthday celebration, not a substitute for a regular birthday do. 

And yes, OP, she's plenty old enough to wait to open gifts, and certainly old enough to thank the people who were thoughtful enough to give her the presents.  If she is not interested in her birthday being celebrated by the extended family that's reasonable, but does not excuse poor behavior.   

Sootikin:

--- Quote from: Nikko-chan on November 30, 2013, 08:18:41 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

You might be right, though she only has one other cousin, and we actually don't normally get together for that cousins birthday, like, ever.  Her mother actually has something similar (born near christmas and celebrated on christmas day with a cake)

Unfortunately I can tell you we will not receive a thank you note. Little Cousin 1 has probably not heard of them :/

--- End quote ---

Did she thank you in person when you gave her her gift?  I would not expect a thank you note if I had already been thanked in person.

At 12 she's probably getting to that age where everything under the sun is acutely embarrassing so I can understand her not wanting to be the centre of attention with the gift opening.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version