Author Topic: TGIF outside North America, how does it compare?  (Read 1244 times)

Katana_Geldar

TGIF outside North America, how does it compare?
« on: December 01, 2013, 07:54:38 PM »
TGIF recently opened near us, so DH and I went there for lunch on Saturday. DH has been there before with work,a and wasn't expecting much as the burger he had had was very greasy and not at all nice.

But, we we were both pleasantly surprised at how good it was. The staff were friendly without being too intrusive, the portions were generous but finishable. I had a quesadilla and finished it, DH had a burger and almost did and we shared a plate of six loaded potato skins.

What I really loved was the selection of non-alcoholic drinks! Normally I'm limited to soft drink in my pregnancy, but there was a huge selection.

So, this is the website for the menus for Australia. How does it compare to back in the US? I'm interesting in comparing!

http://www.tgifridays.com.au/menus

Reika

Re: TGIF outside North America, how does it compare?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »
It looks pretty comparable to what I'm used to from Fridays. I've found like any other chain, the service and quality of food can vary from location to location.

The drink selection has always been awesome, including non-alcoholic. I have fond memories of their non-alcoholic mudslides. :)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 08:05:01 PM »
Any idea what oil they use for frying? The chips seemed a bit strange, like they'd been left out for ours when they were still rather hot and fresh.

katycoo

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 09:45:13 PM »
Huh.  I didn't even know they'd opened here.  We ate there several times in the USA out of convenience.  Its was fine.

I'm more interested in the price comparison!

BigBadBetty

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 10:39:30 PM »
I did a google conversion of the dollars. The Australian TGIF seems more expensive than what I remember. It has been many years since I went. I also don't know what size city you live in. I live in the Midwest U.S. which has a lower cost of living than other parts of the U.S. like NYC or LA. $35 US dollars can buy you a entree from a much nicer restaurant here.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 10:49:53 PM »
Remember, our prices are inclusive of tips and tax. There aren't hidden charges once the bill comes.

Interesting fact: the draught beer in TGIF's here is sold in pint or pot, which is a Victorian thing as the chain first came to Vic before here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Australia#Beer_glasses

I wish they didn't use the word shrimp though on our menus, it's inaccurate.

Bright

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 03:52:56 AM »
I find them somewhat expensive here in the UK. The food in both the TGIFridays I've been to hasn't been great. The fries come soggy and inedible, burgers come tasting more of char than anything else. The tea and coffee are undrinkable. There's three things I like from everything I've sampled on their menu. I love the Jack Danielís  Sesame Chicken Strips. Their sweet potato fries are good too, although there's places here that do better ones. And I like the cheesy mash.  Add to that that their service is extremely slow, and the need to chase down staff to get the free refills. I generally avoid going to TGI Fridays.

Their cocktails do look really good though.

menley

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 07:05:37 AM »

What should it be called instead?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 07:17:45 AM »

What should it be called instead?
Prawn, that's what we use. Even royal carribean cruises change their menus to say prawn when they come out here.

menley

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 08:15:31 AM »
Is it that what you have available to you in Australia is only prawns, or is "prawn" used as the sole term for that type of crustacean, regardless of whether it is biologically a shrimp or a prawn?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 03:25:06 PM »
Prawn is used when the word shrimp would be used. Such as prawn cocktail, garlic prawns, prawn cutlet or prawn (never shrimp) on the barbie. Shrimp usually refers to the smaller ones, but no one pays any attention to that.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prawn

I miss fresh prawns, and I love having them at Christmas. Can't have them while pregnant.

SoCalVal

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 03:18:25 AM »
Prawn is used when the word shrimp would be used. Such as prawn cocktail, garlic prawns, prawn cutlet or prawn (never shrimp) on the barbie. Shrimp usually refers to the smaller ones, but no one pays any attention to that.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prawn

I miss fresh prawns, and I love having them at Christmas. Can't have them while pregnant.

What's a prawn/shrimp cutlet?  I love shrimp, and I've never heard of those.

Your menu looks the same as it would be our there in CA.  I haven't been to TGIF in years (definitely not since I left SoCal), but I remember liking their buffalo wings.  I think I only went because I was in the theater dept in college and that's where everyone wanted to go post-performance.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 03:56:35 AM »
Prawn cutlet is a deep fried crumbed prawn. Normally has the tail left on for easy holding, but some people I know eat the tail...

SoCalVal

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 03:14:39 PM »
Prawn cutlet is a deep fried crumbed prawn. Normally has the tail left on for easy holding, but some people I know eat the tail...

Oh, got it!  I think it's what we call "fried shrimp."