Author Topic: GF options for chocolate pecan pie?  (Read 515 times)

cwm

GF options for chocolate pecan pie?
« on: December 02, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
So I made a chocolate pecan pie for the Black Friday food swap. I was told it was sinful. I don't eat it, it's too rich for my blood.

We've got a manager here who is GF, and I was wondering if there are commercially available good quality frozen GF pie crusts that I could use next time to make the pie so he can have some. I know I'm not going to try GF cinnamon rolls (my usual Christmas fare), but want to try to make something that he can eat.

Alternatively, would it be feasible to make a crust-free pie? The recipe is as follows, and I'm not familiar enough with it to mess around. (I may change the amounts tomorrow, I'm running from memory, but it's all close to this.)

1 box German baker's chocolate (8 oz)
2 Tbsp butter
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup pecans

Melt chocolate and butter together, remove from heat
Bring corn syrup and sugar to a boil, boil gently for five minutes. Add to chocolate mixture.
Pour chocolate/syrup mixture over gently whisked eggs, stirring constantly
Add pecans and vanilla, pour into crust
Bake at 375F for 45-50 minutes.

Any thoughts? Please?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: GF options for chocolate pecan pie?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 04:07:42 PM »
I've seen GF crust mixes, where you would have to add water and maybe some other things, but I haven't seen a preprepared GF pastry.

I think it would be fine to make it in a dish without the crust.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 04:09:12 PM »
There's several options for GF pie crust. Pilsbury has one in a refrigerated tub and I know I've seen a frozen one at WholeFoods. William Sonoma as a GF pie crust mix as does Bob's Red Mill.

EllenS

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »
I actually did a chocolate pecan pie (with bourbon and molasses, too - yum) when I was experimenting with GF.
I used a piecrust recipe I found on the Internet, I think it was glutenfreegirl and the chef, but I can't be 100% sure.

It was really easy and tasted wonderful.  The crust was not flaky like gluten pastry, more hearty and crumbly, like a shortbread cookie or a graham cracker crust. It went great with the pecan pie.

In fact, that might make a shortcut for you since you won't want to have the expense of whole bags of various GF flours - you could use GF shortbread cookies or graham crackers and make a crust from them.

I think a crustless pecan pie would not work, just because of the gloopiness of the filing.  If you radically adjusted the proportions and made it more like a granola bar,  that might work.

sweetonsno

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 05:49:39 PM »
Crust-free would probably work on that one, but maybe try it in a springform pan?

You could also do an almond crust maybe.

EllenS

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
I think it's a great opportunity to experiment with the recipe - after all, it's never going to taste bad.  Even if it's too rich for you, I'm sure you have someone or several someones who will be happy to snarf the "fails".

Gf pie crust is not by any means offensive to those who also eat gluten, as long as they are not expecting traditional pastry.

FWIW, I'm a pecan hog so my recipe has 2 cups of pecan pieces, and about 3/4 cup molasses and 2/3 cup brown sugar.  the filling part holds together pretty well, but I tend to do "heaping" cups of  the pecans so it does crumble. 

My mom's pecan pie recipe was more like the one you listed (minus the chocolate) and it did tend to slide off the crust at room temperature.  If the chocolate makes yours stay together at room temp, maybe you could forgo the crust as sweetsono mentioned.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 08:57:54 PM »
In fact, that might make a shortcut for you since you won't want to have the expense of whole bags of various GF flours - you could use GF shortbread cookies or graham crackers and make a crust from them.

I think a crustless pecan pie would not work, just because of the gloopiness of the filing.  If you radically adjusted the proportions and made it more like a granola bar,  that might work.

I think the GF shortbread cookie idea is brilliant! I think shortbread would taste really good with the pecan pie. I might even like it better than a regular crust for pecan pie.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 09:24:19 PM »
The premade pilsbury GF piecrust (sold where the refridgerated cookie dough is, usually) is actually really good.  Nice & flaky.  Not quite as good as hand-made, but pretty close.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »
I've seen GF crust mixes, where you would have to add water and maybe some other things, but I haven't seen a preprepared GF pastry.

I think it would be fine to make it in a dish without the crust.
I tried making pecan pie once without the crust.  It had to be chiseled off the pie plate!  :-[

There are a number of GF recipes here, including a GF pie crust.  I haven't tried any of them, though.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

sweetonsno

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 03:14:09 AM »
The pecan pie that I make isn't too gloopy. We baked some of it in a ramekin because the refrigerator crust that the cook had bought contained lard. It was delicious. (The filling, not the refrigerator crust.)

I have no experience working with GF flour, but I imagine that it would probably make a pretty good pastry. Pastry is usually handled gently so the gluten doesn't develop. Pillsbury apparently has a ready-made one that you can find in the fridge section.

cwm

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 11:05:13 AM »
The pie I make isn't gloopy or crumbly, but I'm not sure on the exact consistency. I don't actually eat it, it's too rich for me. Still, everyone raves about it, so it can't be too bad, right?

I think I'll try the Pilsbury GF pie crust, I've never made pastry crusts by hand and I'd hate to mess it up the first go-round.

amylouky

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 11:57:40 AM »
I've made almond flour crusts before that turned out really yummy. This isn't the exact recipe I used but it looks good:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-pie-crust/