Author Topic: Chestnut cake  (Read 380 times)

Carotte

Chestnut cake
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:25:08 PM »
I was looking for a recipe for chestnut cake and came upon this one ( http://www.forkandflower.com/2012/11/glutenfree-chestnut-cake.html )

150 g confectioners' sugar
3 egg yolks
150 g ground hazelnuts
200 g chestnut purée
100 g melted butter
3 egg whites
1 pinch salt

There's no picture of the process so I'm left wondering, is the chestnut purée something sweet?
What comes to my mind and found in France is something really really sweet and the recipe calls for more sugar so I'm checking,  wouldn't want the cake to be overly sweet :)

I'd welcome any alternative recipe too! (no dietary restriction)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: Chestnut cake
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 03:12:34 AM »
Chestnut puree is sweetish, but a lot of what is sold in cans is sweetened so do check labels and recipes.

This is a German recipe, but it is from the French/German border. It uses grated chestnut, and makes a fairly dense cake. Also a rather big one...

Kastanientorte

1kg unpeeled chestnuts, or 800g peeled chestnuts, plus milk for cooking.
250g butter
250g sugar
10 eggs
125g ground almonds
100g white bread (such as day old crusty rolls)- soaked in milk with the excess well squeezed out.
Vanilla to taste
Milk

750ml whipping cream
A little sugar

Peel off the outer coat of chestnuts, then blanch. Peel off brown “skin” from chestnuts. Cook in milk and water until soft, then grate and leave to cool.

Separate the eggs. Cream the butter, then slowly add the sugar, egg yolks, and soaked bread. Mix well, then mix in the ground almonds, cooled chestnuts and vanilla.

Whisk egg whites until very stiff, the fold into mixture.

Pour into greased bottom lined 9” tin and bake in medium oven until cooked (recipe does not specify cooking time)

When cooled, split the cake and sandwich together with whipped sweetened cream, then spread cream over the top and sides. Sprinkle the top with a little grated chestnut

NE England