Author Topic: Do you give your dog bones?  (Read 2403 times)

ishka

Do you give your dog bones?
« on: December 03, 2013, 07:07:29 PM »
Over the Christmas period we will have four dogs staying at our place, our two and one each from two visiting family members. I was talking to a friend who thought this would be a complete nightmare; extra people and extra dogs would just make for crowding and chaos and mess and other horrors.  she thought we were mad to even consider it.

I said it would be fine and if it got to be too much we would give the dogs bones and put them out in the backyard.

I was lectured, at length, about the dangers of giving dogs bones. Not just cooked bones or chicken bones, which I would never give a dog, but bones of any kind are apparently now known to be very bad for dogs and nobody gives a dog a bone these days.

I have always given my dogs bones and I will probably give these dogs bones and put them outside because otherwise it willget crowded and chaotic in the house. The dogs all know each other and won't fight over bones. We give them big marrow bones(we call them brontosaurus bones) so they are chewing rather than eating them.

I am interested to know if other people give their dogs bones or if this is really something that just doesn't happen any more.

MurPl1

Re: Do you give your dog bones?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 07:13:41 PM »
My dog gets the occasional bone.  I realize there are some risks to it.  But there's also risk to her at this point just jumping around the back yard (she's 14 with some hip issues). 

If you're concerned, get the faux type bones from the grocery store.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »
Our dogs get bones. Not from our food (ribs, chicken, whatever) but the very heavy and solid ones that you can usually buy with marrow in the middle. They're impossible to splinter, and once the marrow's gone you can stuff the center with peanut butter, dog food, whatever, and it makes an excellent distraction treat for the dog.

The ginormous beef bones you can sometimes find at pet stores are also good - the ones that look like they've come from a very fat dinosaur.

On the other hand, NEVER give them rawhide (if a piece comes off it'll swell in their throat and choke them to death) or the el cheapo bones. You really do get what you pay for.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »
Our dog is fed raw chicken daily, with the bones. And the occasional deer/goat/rabbit offal. We don't give her typical dog food, and it only costs about $3 more a month!

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:41:27 PM »
Mine get raw bones regularly.  They're small dogs, so smallish bones.  They'll strip any goodness off them fairly quickly and then gnaw on them for ages.  Occasionally they'll even get some particularly meaty bones instead of their usual meal.  I don't give them anything that's small enough for them to swallow whole.

They also get the occasional raw chicken neck or wing, bone and all, which they crunch down very quickly.  The cats get them too - recommended by the vet.

Every time they're at the vet, we get the usual diet questions, and the vet has never commented negatively on the bones.  And we've had no issues with splinters or anything.  They tend to gnaw the bone into dust rather than fragments.

Somebody once told me a chewing dog is a happy dog. 

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 07:49:38 PM »
When I had a large (75 pound) dog, I got "marrow bones" from the butcher.  I think it is the cow's leg bone.  He would cut it in half with a knobby joint on either end.  I kept them in the freezer.  GingerBear loved a frozen marrow bone on a shady lawn on a summer afternoon.

I now have a small (13 pound) dog who loves to chew.  We give her rawhide chew toys, which she loves.  I toss them when they get too small and might be a choking hazard.  I had no idea that rawhide was bad for dogs. :-\

ETA - the marrow bones were raw.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:35:34 PM by Midnight Kitty »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

misha412

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:03:32 PM »
I used to give my dogs bones (big ones). Until my current dog, Dagan.

Dagan is a Lab and he thinks that eating is a speed event. The first, and last time, I gave him a bone, tried to swallow it whole. He started choking and coughed it up. Then, he tried to do it again. Twice was enough for me and I made a rule that this dog will not get another bone.

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 08:13:52 PM »
Sounds like our house during the holidays..a Great Dane, a yellow Lab, a German Shepherd and a rat terrier. Though honestly, I'd be more likely to toss my extended family in the backyard and keep the pups with me in the house ;)

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 08:16:56 PM »
Mine get beef bones on occasion. or bison or venison.  Always raw.  They love it.

The one thing I might caution  against is just handing out bones and putting them outside unsupervised.  Chewing should be supervised (there can be a danger of choking) and one dog might decide he fancies another dog's bone better than his own, which could lead to a fight.  If possible I'd suggest that everyone bringing a dog bring a crate as well.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 08:19:02 PM »
My vet has always told me that it is really good for their teeth to get raw bones. I give them the big thigh bones too. I have a Lab and a Silky Terrorist. They both love them, but the bones are usually bigger than the Silky! I live in the tropics now so on a really hot day I will give the bones to them frozen - a giant puppy popsicle!

I have never had an issues giving any of my past dogs bones either. They don't get cooked bones as they can splinter easily, but raw ones have a much lower chance and the furkids love them.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »
I have a Lab and a Silky Terrorist.
;D We call Honey Girl a dachshund/terrierist. >:D

I live in the tropics now so on a really hot day I will give the bones to them frozen - a giant puppy popsicle!
I live in the tropics now, too.  I hadn't thought of giving HG one of dem big bones (Dem bones gonna rise agin!) because she's only 13 pounds and I don't know how she would chew on it with her little mouth.  I used to give them to GingerBear on the lawn in the front yard.  Now I live in a condo and I don't really want raw, bloody bones inside.

Did I mention how much HG loves rawhide chews?  A chewing dog is a happy dog ...

ps to Seraphim:  Love your sig line.  I, too, am "concentrated Awesome."
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 09:52:34 PM »
My grocery store sells bones in its meat department - literally cow femur cut into cross-sections about the size of a child's palm.  They also have some smaller bones cut the same way for smaller dogs.  I occasionally get some and keep them in the freezer for when I really need to reward the pups (and keep them quiet) - they just lick out the marrow and the bone kicks around the backyard for ages, though.

If you really want to keep your pups quiet, get one of those nylon dental toys, fill it with peanut butter, and freeze it.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 10:16:53 PM »
I hadn't thought of giving HG one of dem big bones (Dem bones gonna rise agin!) because she's only 13 pounds and I don't know how she would chew on it with her little mouth.

She'll manage! ;) I had an eight-pound Pomeranian several years back who very much enjoyed chewing on the gigantic bones we bought for our Rottweiler. It was hilarious to see him trying to get his mouth around a bone twice his size...
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 10:45:38 PM »
We keep bones for our dog, Remy. She has her quilt in the bedroom and a blanket in the living room. If she has a bone, she's on her comfy spot and it's in eyeshot for us. The best thing about bringing home a big bone is seeing the dog go nuts trying to smell it through the wrapper and going, "yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll take care of that for you! Yeah, yeah, yeah!"

Library Dragon

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 02:28:21 AM »
I had never heard of this either until we were watching our grand-dog.  DDIL lectured me on not giving the Bernese Mountain Dog any bones.

I had always given dogs bones, DH who used to show Old English in obedience trials gave his dogs bones. Our lab chomped them up happily.  Never cooked poultry bones.

None of our vets ever told us it was bad.  When did this change?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter