Author Topic: Do you give your dog bones?  (Read 2388 times)

Redwing

Re: Do you give your dog bones?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 07:54:52 AM »
Rudy is a German Shepard/Coonhound mix who loves loves loves to chew.  I buy him the beef bones with marrow inside from Petsmart or Petco.  He loves rawhide, but his digestive system does not.  We had one of those nylon bones, but he managed to chew off and swallow bits of that and his digestive system was unhappy with that as well.  He's particularly fond of the balls with the spikes on them.  I never had a dog who loved to chew as much as this one.  But he's still only 8 months old, so maybe he'll slow down as he gets older.

RubyCat

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 08:19:07 AM »
Depends on the dog.

My mom's dog (a beagle-spaniel mix) got everything except chicken and pork bones that would splinter. He had a very soft mouth and would just patiently work on them and gnaw them gently.

My husky dog seems able to handle some bones, big ones that don't splinter too easily, but she only got them if she was staying outside. We no longer have a fenced in yard so she only goes out with us now.

Years ago, I had an Airedale who would use his huge powerful jaws to chomp even the most solid bones into splinters which he would swallow and get sick from.  So no bones for him :-(

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
They never really tell you this but rawhide is non-digestible.  Pretty much every dog I know that's chewed rawhide will eat it, but it's not meant to be eaten.  Also the light, white-coloured rawhides are heavily treated with bleaches and chemicals to make them that colour.

Bully sticks (beef tendon) or actual raw bones or marrow bones or deer antler is a much safer, healthier alternative.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

MissRose

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 10:46:18 AM »
When I was growing up, we gave steak or pork chop bones to our German shepherd dog.  He was not allowed fish or poultry bones.

My sister and her boyfriend used to give their German shepherd dogs steak or pork chop bones but no longer do so.  One of the dogs nearly choked on a bit of bone.  My sister had to rush the dog to the vet (and she was wearing only a bathrobe and sunglasses) and it took her, her boyfriend and the vet assistant to hold down the dog then retrieve the bone piece.  The rule now is only milk-bone type bones/biscuits or certain types of dog treats like pig ears now since that incident.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »
Someone I know gave her little dog cooked marrow bones (not poultry bones) and the dog ended up bleeding from her little behind.   The vet said any bones can splinter, so I would never give any kind of bone to a dog.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

wheeitsme

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »
It depends on the dog, and the bone.  I have a Lab, and I give her the occasional large specially bought bone.  Every evening after dinner, though, she gets a 12 inch bully stick (under supervision). 

I think "It depends"  covers a lot of things with dogs.  It depends on the dog and the bone.  It depends on the dog and the food.  It depends on the dog and the treat. It depends on the dog and the toy.  It depends on the dog and the space.  It depends on the dog and the other dogs.

My dog?

It needs to be the right bone.  Certain bones and small bones she splinters.
She has food sensitivities.  Yes, I have one of the world's only picky Labs.  And don't try feeding her canned food that includes whitefish.  The last time we did that she picked up a mouthful and dumped it in the middle of the room.
We're picky about her treats.  Made in the US, and mostly made by me.  But she is very good about asking and carefully taking with permission.  And we would like her to stay that way.
She can decimate toys.  She chews through soft rubber.  Stuffed toys need to be sturdy.  A large rubber/plastic bucket is her favorite toy (but cut off the handles first).
She is only allowed in spaces that dogs are welcomed.  She is allowed in the front yard, because she doesn't run.
She wants to be friends with everybody.  But while she loves to roughhouse, she prefers not to be too thoroughly sniffed.  And she doesn't understand personal space when it comes to other people and other dogs.

One of the things my dog has taught me is how individual dogs and their owners are, and both need to be respected.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »
Both my dogs get bones. They'll settle down and chew happily on them for hours. Of course once the "flavor" is gone (or they're bored), they're done with them. I do the bully bones or the marrow bones. I have small-ish mutts.

I will say the Kong toys (that you can stuff with treats) seem to keep mine quieter and happier longer then the bones. I put peanut butter in them usually. Heck I can smear some peanut butter on a paper plate for each of them and they'll chase it around the house for a nice long time.

menley

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
We don't personally give our dogs bones as our vets have advised against it. However, I know a woman who goes to the same dog park as me and she feeds her dog a raw diet - mainly raw beef, with the bones - and he is a beautifully healthy dog with a gorgeous coat and strong muscles! She always supervises him with any bones, though, as she said once he had one that he nearly choked on.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 02:20:34 PM »
We don't personally give our dogs bones as our vets have advised against it. However, I know a woman who goes to the same dog park as me and she feeds her dog a raw diet - mainly raw beef, with the bones - and he is a beautifully healthy dog with a gorgeous coat and strong muscles! She always supervises him with any bones, though, as she said once he had one that he nearly choked on.

That's how our Great Pyrenees is. Her teeth have no build up (and we've never brushed them) and her coat is magnificent - soft and supple but not oily - without a lot of care. She is an outside dog and when we play in the yard we don't even really have to watch for poos as they dry and disintegrate so quickly.
I really cannot recommend enough a raw, meat only diet for dogs! Now if only our neighbor would stop driving by and throwing the nastiest, cheapest treats out of his truck window to her... grrr... and if our other neighbors would stop offering her a shelter (she has one but refuses to use it when the weather is to her liking) and expressing concern about how she's always out in the rain when its cold. I'd like to hand them a map with the Pyrenees mountains circled in bright red... :P

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 02:31:43 PM »

Brontosaurus bones! Love it! Stealing it!  ;D
Both my mixed hound and husky get those. My house sounds like scratch scratch scratch CLUNK! scratch scratch scratch CLUNK! My vet is fine with this. The vet at the shelter where we got Kilik-husky recommended watching them in the beginning because a bone is the most "prized" item you can give most dogs and they might fight over them. We did, and they did, but they're fine now. I do keep an eye to make sure they aren't splintering or breaking, though, and throw the bones out when that starts.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

demarco

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »
We have a Labrador retriever/eating machine.  She drove us nuts when she was younger because she chewed/ripped/swallowed everything she got near. (She behaved this way until she was about 2 1/2!)  I was constantly looking for safe toys and treats I could give her to distract her from curtains, furniture, newspapers, books, clothing, etc. I asked the vet about meat bones and she said not to give them to her because some dogs break their teeth on them.  I had never heard of this and we'd given them to our other dogs with no problem.  Given the fact that our Lab was like no other dog we'd ever had in terms of destructive potential and vulnerability, I decided to follow the doctor's advice, just to be on the safe side.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 11:57:47 PM »
My dog doesn't get bones, as he swallows them whole and then pukes them up in the middle of the night on the floor mat.  He is a PIG. No chewing whatsoever. I actually think he might not be capable of it, as he was bottle-fed and has overbite. (Underbite? His lower jaw sticks out further.)

He's quite delicate with kibbles when he deigns to eat them though. He eats a lot of meat, cooked. I know that is supposed to be bad as well but his coat is gorgeous, his teeth are healthy, and he has the heart of a dog half his age according to the vet. (He's nearly 13). He likes waffles too, if there is syrup on them.  >:D

Other dogs we have had have loved bones though, LadyDog enjoyed soup bones. SadieDog liked buffalo knees (and cheerios from under the high chair. She was an excellent vacuum.)
My BIL's dog likes steak bones.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 01:39:16 AM »
I used to have a cat who liked bones, which I found out when she raided the trash for some rib bones.  Whenever I'd cook a roast after that she got the bone.  While she never got poultry bones (I'm always extremely careful with poultry bones) and I always made sure any bone was on the large side so she couldn't accidentally swallow it, she really enjoyed gnawing on bones.  None of our current cats have shown any inclination toward liking to chew on bones. 

123sandy

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 05:48:19 AM »

squeakers

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 01:13:09 AM »
They never really tell you this but rawhide is non-digestible.  Pretty much every dog I know that's chewed rawhide will eat it, but it's not meant to be eaten.  Also the light, white-coloured rawhides are heavily treated with bleaches and chemicals to make them that colour.

Bully sticks (beef tendon) or actual raw bones or marrow bones or deer antler is a much safer, healthier alternative.

Bully sticks are actually male cow parts ;)

My lil dogs get bones rarely.  They get veggie chewies (either commercial or raw carrots.) No rawhide (non-digestible). Bully sticks and tendons... but taken away after about half consumed. They used to get pigs' ears but old dog passed away and the 2 Chis just don't find them appealing (they did when Big Dawg ate them.)

The problem with bones is that some dogs can chew more than their digestive system can handle.  In the wild they would also be consuming hide and fur which would wrap and cushion the bone shards.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin