Author Topic: Do you give your dog bones?  (Read 2598 times)

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
Re: Do you give your dog bones?
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 03:29:47 AM »
They never really tell you this but rawhide is non-digestible.  Pretty much every dog I know that's chewed rawhide will eat it, but it's not meant to be eaten.  Also the light, white-coloured rawhides are heavily treated with bleaches and chemicals to make them that colour.

Bully sticks (beef tendon) or actual raw bones or marrow bones or deer antler is a much safer, healthier alternative.

Bully sticks are actually male cow parts ;)

Yeah, I know.  "Beef tendon" is how we used to phrase it for customers who might be grossed out or offended (you'd be amazed what people will be offended by these days)
"After all this time?"
"Always."

squeakers

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 12:28:46 PM »
They never really tell you this but rawhide is non-digestible.  Pretty much every dog I know that's chewed rawhide will eat it, but it's not meant to be eaten.  Also the light, white-coloured rawhides are heavily treated with bleaches and chemicals to make them that colour.

Bully sticks (beef tendon) or actual raw bones or marrow bones or deer antler is a much safer, healthier alternative.

Bully sticks are actually male cow parts ;)

Yeah, I know.  "Beef tendon" is how we used to phrase it for customers who might be grossed out or offended (you'd be amazed what people will be offended by these days)

One also has to be careful with antlers in that teeth can be chipped or guts can be impacted.

It's all in knowing your dog and what they can handle.  My little Chihuahuas can gobble down tendons, pizzles and table scraps with impunity.  But give my friend's Lab a piece of leftover steak and he'll either barf or gas you out of the house.

One I haven't seen mentioned yet is the potato chews.  They come in various shape like "toothbrush", alligator or, my favorite, hedgehog.  They are extremely hard and really scraped the tartar off my lil Chi's teeth (she has a funky mouth so finding something to do that is difficult).  The only downside is if you let them have the thing for too long (it is actually for Large dogs) the potato swells in their tummy and makes them barf.  So I limit it to 10-20 minute gnawing and then put it up for a while.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 12:46:25 PM »
According to what I have read rawhide is digestible, but not easily digestible, and the larger the piece swallowed, the more likely the problem.

So really it's down to the individual dog. We have a miniature dachshund and she absolutely shreds rawhides and hasn't had a single issue. For that reason we haven't tried her on bones because I'm afraid she'll splinter them.

My parents dog adores bones (she gets only fairly solid beef bones) and has shown no sign of trouble, but won't touch raw hides.

Just watch your dog carefully the first couple of times a treat is introduced.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »
My best friend's recently deceased dog (RIP Zac, you were awesome) was a smallish snaggletoothed rescue from the RSPCA with an underbite you could hang washing on. He was also one heck of a chewer, as we discovered when he ate the cover off my $100 Japanese kanji dictionary - thankfully he was very good about not chewing things he understood weren't his, but apparently the dictionary wasn't as easily identified as 'not mine' as shoes were!

He got a bunch of stuffed toys etc to mangle, and we also bought him rawhides. Then we bought him bigger rawhides, because if we bought him the ones that were supposed to be for dogs his size he tried to swallow them whole. Then we bought him even bigger rawhides, because if he could get his jaws around them he'd shred them in minutes, swallow most of the bits, foam at the mouth and yark up frothy white goo everywhere. He ended up with something the approximate size of a dinosaur's femur, longer than he was and nearly as thick as my arm.

Then we stopped buying him rawhides, because it was just getting ridiculous. ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 10:51:46 AM »
Honey Girl, a terrier/dachshund* mix, is a chewer.  She always has rawhide to chew on and play with.  Otherwise my shoes are not safe, in fact, nothing in the condo would be safe.  I check her poop and it doesn't appear to upset her digestive system.  She doesn't foam at the mouth or vomit, either.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

*Hubby thinks the terrier part is probably Fox Terrier, so he calls her our "Foxy Dachsie."
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 11:26:44 AM »
Honey Girl, a terrier/dachshund* mix, is a chewer.  She always has rawhide to chew on and play with.  Otherwise my shoes are not safe, in fact, nothing in the condo would be safe.  I check her poop and it doesn't appear to upset her digestive system.  She doesn't foam at the mouth or vomit, either.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A kong might be really awesome for her. She's a puppy right? Puppies love to chew. You can hide treats in the kong which will keep her happy too. And being a smaller dog, she might even like baby carrots. Mine love to chew them up and then leave them around the floor (isn't that sweet). My friend has a little one, and he loves baby carrots. Bones are too intimidating to him. Seriously, she tried giving him one and he'd push it all over the floor but never ya know....chew it. Chewed on the couch, shoes, anything else. But not the bone.

Also, interesting factoid, apparently doggies chew our shoes because they smell like us and it comforts them. Especially when we're away. Only one of mine ever chewed my shoes, one flip flop and one shoelace on a sneaker. Then I gave him a kong.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 03:17:23 PM »
We bought a kong for her yesterday.  She's 3 years old & loves to chew.  She detests carrots.  When we first adopted her, I bought an organic canned dog food.  She ate around the carrots pieces.  Her food bowl would be empty except for the sad little orange pieces of carrot.  She is seldom left alone.  She is a "go with" dog: She goes [almost] everywhere with us.

Once upon a time, I had Lady (a 12 pound American Eskimo/whatever jumped over the back fence) and her daughter, GingerAle.  I could stand in my kitchen and peel carrots in the air and those 2 dogs would catch (& eat) every carrot peel curl before it could touch the floor.  They loved carrots.  Before Lady had puppies, she stayed with my father for a couple days while I went somewhere.  He had a vegetable garden in the back yard.  He was out in the backyard harvesting some carrots, squash, and beets with Lady's help.  He pulled a couple carrots and let her have them right there.  Bad idea. The next time he let her out in the backyard to do her business, he became concerned when she didn't come right back.  Yep, she was digging those carrots up like a rototiller. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 03:29:02 PM »
We bought a kong for her yesterday.  She's 3 years old & loves to chew.  She detests carrots.  When we first adopted her, I bought an organic canned dog food.  She ate around the carrots pieces.  Her food bowl would be empty except for the sad little orange pieces of carrot.  She is seldom left alone.  She is a "go with" dog: She goes [almost] everywhere with us.

Once upon a time, I had Lady (a 12 pound American Eskimo/whatever jumped over the back fence) and her daughter, GingerAle.  I could stand in my kitchen and peel carrots in the air and those 2 dogs would catch (& eat) every carrot peel curl before it could touch the floor.  They loved carrots.  Before Lady had puppies, she stayed with my father for a couple days while I went somewhere.  He had a vegetable garden in the back yard.  He was out in the backyard harvesting some carrots, squash, and beets with Lady's help.  He pulled a couple carrots and let her have them right there.  Bad idea. The next time he let her out in the backyard to do her business, he became concerned when she didn't come right back.  Yep, she was digging those carrots up like a rototiller. >:D

LOL!!!! Oh look, my very own carrot stash!! How nice!

Our family dog Baby hated carrots too. She'd flip them right out of her bowl. No no no, not going to happen. Mine now won't eat them, but they will chew them. They hate apples, but they will take the apple slice form you and go off to a corner with it. They never turn down treats, they just take them and hide them. Mustn't hurt our hosts feelings, take the apple slice and go put it in your bed under your blanket, they'll never find it there.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 04:14:13 PM »

Kong toys are the best! I don't know what i would do without those ones that you fill with peanut butter and treats. Probably listen to a lot of whining and ArooRooooRooorooooRooooo! :)
I once watched my Jayna-hound spend a good few minutes reaching her nose into a tomato bush to the only ripe tomato and ever so gently gently gently pull it off the stalk, then roll around on her back in glee with her prize. All my dogs have loved tomatoes, but that was a first. She was sooooo happy!
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Kariachi

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 11:25:28 AM »

Kong toys are the best! I don't know what i would do without those ones that you fill with peanut butter and treats. Probably listen to a lot of whining and ArooRooooRooorooooRooooo! :)
I once watched my Jayna-hound spend a good few minutes reaching her nose into a tomato bush to the only ripe tomato and ever so gently gently gently pull it off the stalk, then roll around on her back in glee with her prize. All my dogs have loved tomatoes, but that was a first. She was sooooo happy!

Thankfully I never had an animal that liked tomatoes, had enough trouble sharing carrots with the guinea pig.

We used to give Star (Australian Shepherd mix) bones and pig ears. Not often, but as a treat. Once a year we make a leg of lamb, my mom would always debone it and roast the bone for Star.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2013, 12:29:55 PM »

Pig ears! I will have to remember to grab some of those at the butcher shop if I get there in time.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 02:13:53 PM »
DH picked up a rawhide football from Petco for little Honey Girl (13 pounds).  It was as big as my fist and filled with something that must have smelled yummy.  We gave it to her while we watched the 49ers play the last regular season game in Candlestick Park (RIP) :'(

At first, she did not know what to do with it.  She could hardly get her mouth around any part of it.  DH said, "At halftime I'll see if I can cut it or something so she can chew on it.  I looked over about 10 minutes later and saw 1/4 of the rawhide football had been chewed and pulled open so HG could get at that yummy filling.  We were impressed.  HG is half Dachshund and she has long toes which she uses like fingers to grab, hold, and twist.

I told DH, "I think that's too much for her to eat at one time."  He accused me of being an NFL (No Fun Left) official.  I gave him stink eye and said, "Oh yeah, bad me for not wanting my little dog to get sick." ::) Seriously, the filling was as much as she is fed in a whole day.  I put a Greenie down and she traded me the football for the Greenie.  It's all good!

I don't give Xmas gifts.  It's a long story, but I just don't do it anymore.  I stocked up on dog treats Saturday because Target had 10% off, plus I had store coupons and manufacturer coupons and Cartwheel PLUS my Red Card savings of 5%.  I saved $100 and spent $240 on stuff we needed.  HG now has a TON of dentastiks, greenies, and chicken jerky.  So HG gave my coworkers' dogs goody bags.  I also bought HG's dogsitter a Dean Martin Collection CD.  She has vinyl records, but no record player, just a CD player, but she doesn't have any CDs. ??? I decided I'm going to write down the titles of a few of her favorite albums, then look for them in the used music stores while my DJ husband is adding more music to the collection of 12,000+ CDs.

Marcus Aurelius

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »
We don't have dogs, so when my husband buys a big bone in roast (half Angus, half Wagyu) from the farmer's market, I pull out the bone after it's all roasted and take it to work.

My bosses' dog thinks I am a goddess!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2013, 03:21:51 AM »
Once a year my dog gets one of the big bones from the pet store, but always supervised by me due to choking hazards and never around other dogs, since he's occasionally been food aggressive.