News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 08:32:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Reminders to make a new pot of coffee are up in my work place (signs)

Yes, how else do we get our caffeine fix, etc
40 (36%)
No, some people may think its beneath them to take time to make it, etc
10 (9%)
Other response
61 (55%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Voting closed: December 15, 2013, 07:02:30 AM

Author Topic: Should adults in a work place have to be reminded to make coffee?  (Read 19751 times)

turnip

Re: Should adults in a work place have to be reminded to make coffee?
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2013, 07:43:58 PM »
I don't drink coffee at work so I'll plead ignorance here.  If a person goes in and finds an empty pot is it really a large disruption to make a new one?  It seems to me simpler to go by "If you want coffee, and there's none there, make some" than "If you took the last cup, make another one just in case more people want some".

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2013, 01:43:22 AM »
I don't drink coffee at work so I'll plead ignorance here.  If a person goes in and finds an empty pot is it really a large disruption to make a new one?  It seems to me simpler to go by "If you want coffee, and there's none there, make some" than "If you took the last cup, make another one just in case more people want some".

Making coffee (at least in a standard drip machine) takes awhile. So if you take the last, it makes sense to start a new pot right away, because then there's a chance it'll be ready when needed. On the other hand, if you come and want a cup and find the machine empty, you'd have to put the pot on, walk away while it's brewing, and then come back awhile later once it's run through.

So time-wise it's more efficient if the person who empties it immediately starts a new one.

(I don't drink coffee myself, but I've made plenty of pots for my inlaws ;) )

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

cicero

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2013, 02:06:09 AM »
because to most people, it's like drinking the last of the milk and putting the empty carton back in the fridge, or taking the last of the toilet paper and not putting a new roll (or if it's at work and you're not supposed to put new rolls then at least alerting someone), or using the last of the paper in the printer and not putting in a new pack (or alerting someone). now the next person who comes and expects the milk to be there/cold finds an empty bottle or no toilet paper, and they have to *do something*. it would be easier, kinder and i think more polite to refill the bottle - or in this case, the coffee pot - so it's ready for the next person.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Ginger G

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2013, 08:32:23 AM »
This thread brings reminds me of one thing that used to drive me crazy about my former (now retired) boss.  When I started my job, the outgoing assistant who I was replacing, would always make a pot of coffee as soon as she arrived at work even though she didn't drink it.  This was a small coffeemaker that was in a place only accessible to her and our boss.  So basically the only person who drank it was him.  When she left, I dutifully took over.  Every morning I would come in and start the coffee even though I didn't drink it either.  It was kind of pain too, I would have to go to the other side of the floor for filtered water since we didn't have a sink anywhere near there (exept the bathroom and that water didn't taste good).

Over time I began to resent the coffee duty more and more.  One main reason is that one day my boss told me that "he didn't expect me to make the coffee because I was female, it was just because I always got there first."  However, there were quite a few occasions when I had a dental or other appointment and came in later than him and he never made the coffee then either, not even once!  On those days he would wait a little while after I arrived and come out with his coffee cup and look disappointed when there was no coffee.  Finally one day I said, "I thought you already had your coffee since you got here first!" 

The problem finally solved itself when our offices were remodeled and a huge cabinet was placed in front of the electrical outlet, so we didn't have anywhere to plug it in. 

KimberlyM

« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »
We have 5 coffee drinkers in my office.  I make the first pot when I come in and I try to keep an eye on the pot in the hopes of being the one who makes pots 2 and 3 as well.  One of the other drinkers NEVER makes a pot, one can't seem to make a pot without grounds in it and one makes it so weak that you can see the bottom of your cup through it.  I drink a lot of coffee and I like it pretty strong so I make most of it.  Everyone else is happy to let me do it because mine seems to keep everyone happy.

I hate mornings when I'm late, because the second arriving coffee drinker will make it if he beats me in, and his needs to be strained before drinking.  Bleh.

Eeep!

« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2013, 02:34:04 PM »
I voted other. People who drink from the communal coffee pot should certainly make the coffee as needed, but those who don't drink coffee or who get their coffee from another source shouldn't be expected to.

I would have no problem with signs explaining how to use the coffeemaker, as I am a person that can have difficulty with even the most idiot-proof gadget :) But if the signs were worded in a passive-aggressive way, or if the signs demanded that all coworkers prepare coffee regardless of whether they drink it, I would not appreciate those signs.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Thanks! :)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2013, 03:29:02 PM »
At a bank I worked for, coffee became a huge issue.  The accepted practice had been for whomever took the last cup to make a new pot.  Somewhere along the line, someone on the management team started making it stronger and stronger....to the point where she would empty a newly made, full pot to make one that was "strong enough" for her.  From there, it became a contest between two of them to see who could make it so strong the other one would cave. 

Seriously, it was beyond ridiculous!  The last straw came when one of the VPs helped herself to a cup, took a swallow and spit it back into her cup.  She asked those of us who were nearby what was up with the coffee and we told her.  She asked how we drink that stuff and we told her  "If it's not a pot that one of us made, we just don't drink it."

As of 1 hour later, it was the receptionists job to make the coffee.  There was a sign posted that said "If you take the last cup, please inform receptionist." and the cabinet where the coffee and filters were stored was locked.

My old boss made twice-brewed coffee. Run it through once add fresh grounds and run it through again; Puerto Rican coffee which was particularly strong to begin with. In that office I worked with a Puerto Rican and a Finn, both ethnicities go for strong coffee. I learned to drink the strong stuff simply in self-defense.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »
Is the coffee run through the grounds again or fresh grounds added to the basket & water is run through to get coffee?

Because that may have been sorta what I did that made the commander of my first unit insist that I never touched the coffee maker again.  Since it was thirty years before I started drinking coffee, even once in a while - I didn't mind. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2013, 10:54:55 PM »
Is the coffee run through the grounds again or fresh grounds added to the basket & water is run through to get coffee?

Because that may have been sorta what I did that made the commander of my first unit insist that I never touched the coffee maker again.  Since it was thirty years before I started drinking coffee, even once in a while - I didn't mind.

Coffee is brewed and then poured back into the reservoir. New grounds added on top of the previous load. Result: Coffee so strong that it can melt spoons.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

peaches

« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2013, 11:42:33 PM »
It's dangerous for non-coffee drinkers (like me) to make coffee. You can end up with some seriously weird stuff. 

I think these tasks are best left to those who can distinguish good coffee from truly awful coffee.

Raintree

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2013, 05:07:20 AM »
In one workplace I used to race in ahead of everyone to make coffee; otherwise the other person who usually did it would put in one tiny teaspoonful of coffee for a whole pot, and the result was hot discoloured water with a vague coffee scent in it.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »
Yes, some workplace people need to be reminded to make coffee.

Because it always seems the ones who really, really want their coffee are the last ones to ever make a pot. 

I have seen those who think it is beneath them or just plain lazy because they know someone else will do it.

Chip2

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2013, 09:10:58 AM »

I had a First Sergeant who brewed coffee like that. The pot (a big 25-cup urn) got cleaned Sunday night by whoever had watch duty, and the First Sergeant added fresh grounds to the clean pot on Monday morning. More grounds were added to the old ones each day until Friday. The guys on overnight watch would either repeat the process on Saturday and Sunday, or bite the bullet and clean the pot early.