Author Topic: Pigs in Blankets  (Read 2774 times)

Goosey

Re: Pigs in Blankets
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »
For us, it was a hot dog with some cheese wrapped up in a bakery bisquit and cooked up. So good!

lowspark

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 09:54:58 AM »
Pigs in blankets are cocktail frankfurts wrapped in a square of puff pastry.

That's what they are around here.
Usually, these:

...wrapped in these:

... to look like this:

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 10:20:13 AM »
...I see some US ehellions refer to 'breakfast sausage': it may just be me, but I don't think we have that term in the UK. What's the difference between a breakfast sausage and just a sausage? Is it that sausages (general term) refer to what we would almost exclusively refer to as a hotdog/saveloy type sausage?

It is Pork, rough grind and fairly heavily spiced in a particular way. 
It doesn't even have to be a sausage shape.  I usually buy a 1 pound tube of breakfast sausage which is just ground.  People usually slice it and cook it as patties.  I like to brown it and add scambled eggs and put that in flour tortillas to make a Breakfast burrito.  (I live in Texas)  You can also buy breakfast sausage as little sausages. 

The meat is usually pretty lean.  Browning a pound tube of sausage doesn't make enough extra fat to drain.  Although I remember that wasn't true as a kid in the 70's. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 11:16:51 AM »
So i have to tell you that in Israel these are made with hot dogs ( usually chicken) and puff pastry and look like the ones lowspark posted. However, since Jews and traditionally don't eat pork, they are called " moses in a basket"  ;D and the word pig is not mentioned.

I and my friends find that while these are definitely*kid's food* , if we serve them when we have company, grownups grab them too.

( in general, the concept of puff pastry stuffed with meat, vegetables, cheese, etc -burekas- is very popular here and can be found in bakeries, cafés, restaurants, etc)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 11:35:10 AM »
...I and my friends find that while these are definitely*kid's food* , if we serve them when we have company, grownups grab them too....

Years ago (like maybe before the divorce from her first husband) I read a party planning book by Martha Stewart.  She talked them being popular at parties because the adults love to eat them.  Few people brag about loving them, but they are the first to disappear.   

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »
Uk here (SE if that helps!) - (small) sausages wrapped in bacon are pigs in blankets and (small or big!) sausages in pastry are sausage rolls.

I've also heard the sausages wrapped in bacon called devils horsebank (though that also seems to refer to prunes or dates wrapped in bacon too).

I don't think we have a name for sausages wrapped in bread - other than a sausage sandwich (which for some reason in my head means that the sausage MUST be sliced and not whole ;). Ketchup discretionary ;)

I see some US ehellions refer to 'breakfast sausage': it may just be me, but I don't think we have that term in the UK. What's the difference between a breakfast sausage and just a sausage? Is it that sausages (general term) refer to what we would almost exclusively refer to as a hotdog/saveloy type sausage?

There's a few different types of breakfast sausage types. The one's we use for Pigs in a Blanket are usually referred to as Smokies like these http://www.eckrich.com/products/breakfast-sausage/smok-y-links. They are small casing enclosed sausage that are smoked and are fully cooked. You only need to really reheat.

The ones Lowspark posted are about the same but in small cocktail size.

There is also the pork pan sausage Sophia mentioned is also a common breakfast sausage.  These are uncooked meat and have a similar texture to Italian Sasauge. Some brands will also do a turkey or chicken version for lower fat. They can be sliced into patties to skillet fry or crubled and browned. It's what most use when making biscuits and sausage gravy.
http://www.jimmydean.com/products/fresh-sausage/premium-pork-country-mild-sausage
And as she mentioned are sometimes sold as small links.
http://www.jimmydean.com/products/fresh-sausage/premium-orginal-pork-sausage-links

katycoo

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 07:18:22 PM »
...I and my friends find that while these are definitely*kid's food* , if we serve them when we have company, grownups grab them too....

Years ago (like maybe before the divorce from her first husband) I read a party planning book by Martha Stewart.  She talked them being popular at parties because the adults love to eat them.  Few people brag about loving them, but they are the first to disappear.

I will happily brag about loving them.  I've been known to make a small batch for myself for dinner!

Betelnut

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »
US here.  Always, always "pigs in a blanket" would be hot dogs or mini-hot dogs that are wrapped in uncooked biscuit/dinner roll dough and then baked.  They are extremely yummy.  I've actually had them at pretty upscale events (the mini-hot doggy version).
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 10:20:58 AM »
When I was growing up pigs in blankets were stuffed cabbages.  That was a middle european term.  However, many restaurants here in the USA refer to breakfast sausages wrapped in pancakes as pigs in blankets.

When I was a child, pig in a blanket was stuffed cabbage.  Now, the term seems to be almost exclusively for the cocktail frank wrapped in a buttery, flaky crust and baked. 

cwm

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »
US here.  Always, always "pigs in a blanket" would be hot dogs or mini-hot dogs that are wrapped in uncooked biscuit/dinner roll dough and then baked.  They are extremely yummy.  I've actually had them at pretty upscale events (the mini-hot doggy version).

This is what I know. We use croissant rolls, cut each triangle in half and use that to wrap the mini-hot dogs. It's especially yummy with a small slice of cheese rolled into the dough with the dog, or with different flavors of hot dogs. It's always a baig hit.

Plus with the extra mini-hot dogs you can just dump them in a crock pot with BBQ sauce and something else and cook that down, and BBQ mini dogs! (Not sure on the exact recipe, I never make it, but they're always great.)

menley

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
I just saw this article and it immediately made me think of these posts! http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/pigs-in-a-blanket-recipes

Betelnut

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 09:20:42 PM »
I just saw this article and it immediately made me think of these posts! http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/pigs-in-a-blanket-recipes

Oh my...those ALL look so, so, so good!

DaisyG

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 09:46:51 AM »

Thanks Menley!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 09:52:33 AM »

Oh my...those ALL look so, so, so good!

Now I want PIGs! How much fun would it be to do a pigs in a blanket party.

Betelnut

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 01:51:59 PM »
Even those carrot ones look yummy.