Author Topic: Rude woman at restaurant and my kids  (Read 7341 times)

amylouky

Rude woman at restaurant and my kids
« on: December 05, 2013, 03:59:24 PM »
Last night DH and I, and the boys, went to the local Crimson Crustacean seafood place for dinner. I drove straight from work, and he met me there with our boys, who are 4 and 6.
I was seated for about 10 minutes before they got there, and about 5 minutes in, a table of two ladies was seated in the booth right behind us. They were talking somewhat loudly, and one lady had a really obnoxious, grating voice.
Anyway, DH and the boys come walking around the corner to our table, and the lady immediately groaned loudly, said, "Oh, GREAT." and picked up her drink and menu and walked to another table halfway across the restaurant, shooting us dirty looks the whole time.
Let me be clear, I am not one of those moms who thinks everything my boys do is pweshus and can't bear to tell them no. I do my best to keep them in line in public, and they are usually pretty well behaved, age considered. That being said, I understand the desire for a quiet kid-free atmosphere at dinner.. heck, I long for it myself sometimes. So it didn't offend me that she wanted to move to a quieter table, but it really bothered me that she made the reason and her disdain for the boys so glaringly obvious. She didn't even give them a chance to misbehave (which they didn't) before deciding they would ruin her dinner.
Is  there anything that I could have said, or is this a case of "don't engage the crazy"?

alice

Re: Rude woman at restaurant and my kids
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »
I wouldn't have said anything to her.  She didn't really talk to you directly.  It was obvious what she meant with her remark.  Thank you lucky stars that your dinner was more enjoyable because you didn't have to worry at all that you children were annoying her with every little sound they made.  She would have ruined your dinner.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »

Is  there anything that I could have said, or is this a case of "don't engage the crazy"?
A case of don't engage. And actually- just ignore. She was being PA , that's her issue.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

turnip

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »

A case of don't engage. And actually- just ignore. She was being PA , that's her issue.

I actually think groaning "Oh Great" is pretty much just being 'A', but I agree overall.  I would have just laughed at her.

Goosey

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 04:15:40 PM »
Sounds like someone who resents that children exist. Good idea for her to go to a family-friendly restaurant in that case, eh?

I don't think there's anything you could have said to her. She was rude.

I do tend to give people like this big, happy smiles though. I don't know why. Maybe to poke at their grumpiness.

veronaz

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 04:16:37 PM »
Itís possible she and her friend moved to another table because whatever they were talking about wasnít for young ears.  You said they were loud.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 04:24:14 PM »
Well, of course, they were disgruntled. Everyone knows that Crimson Crustacean is an upscale, romantic venue for trysts, as well as power players making billion-dollar deals. No one would expect children to be seen there!

Actually, it's a family restaurant, and I can't imagine why anyone would be horrified to see a 4 and 6 year old walk in the door.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

kategillian

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »
Well, their rudeness turned out to be good for you! You didn't have to sit there for the entire meal listening to their loud obnoxious voices! I would put this in the win column. And really, to say something to them, you would have had to chase them across the restaurant, right?

Julsie

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 04:24:59 PM »
I'm sorry that happened to you.  I know it's hurtful.  The same thing happened to me once.

There are just some nasty biddies in the world.  Anyone who sees a child and immediately gets a bad attitude has something wrong with them.

The only thing we can do is let it go and hope that their hearts will grow three sizes this holiday season.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
Be grateful she moved and if there is a next time, just smile sweetly.  Or even laugh out loud, if it fits the situation. 

I've had the same thing happen, btw.  Those types of people are quite rude and yet, they don't realize it.

nuit93

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
Itís possible she and her friend moved to another table because whatever they were talking about wasnít for young ears.  You said they were loud.

Which, if that were the case, was probably the more polite thing to do even if they had to start it out with a PA remark.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 04:33:56 PM »

Which, if that were the case, was probably the more polite thing to do even if they had to start it out with a PA remark.

Yes, but it's Crimson Crustacean. It's not the sort of place you go to if you're going to be loudly discussing either your scrabble life, your medical results or your assassination plans. If it wasn't fit for "young ears," I imagine a lot of adults would not like to have it proclaimed near their tables either.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

EllenS

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 04:34:21 PM »
If she moved without making a production of it, not rude, just her business.

The obvious effort to make sure you noticed was PA and rude.

However, you have no reason to feel insulted by a "rejection" from a perfect stranger.  Don't engage the crazy.

veronaz

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 04:34:57 PM »

Yes, but even if the women had gotten up and moved without saying/doing anything some people would automatically be offended  on behalf of their well-behaved kids.

kategillian

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 04:50:57 PM »
But they wouldn't know at the time they were moving whether or not the children were well behaved. I think if you were meaning to have a nice quiet conversation or romantic dinner, asking to be moved away from potentially rambunctious kids would be fine, as long as you did that quietly and tactfully