Author Topic: What Do I Owe An Ebay Seller (please read)  (Read 5833 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
What Do I Owe An Ebay Seller (please read)
« on: December 05, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »
Background - I bought a relatively expensive purse off eBay and it was shipped to me.  Language indicated that it was either unused or very lightly used, so "like new condition".

It came in earlier than promised but the padded envelope was torn in one end with tape holding it shut.  Some of the tape was stuck to the vinyl of the purse in three places and when it was peeled off (carefully) - it took the top layer of "patent leather finish" off in an area roughly the size of a pencil eraser (less than 1/4" or about 2 mm for the metrically minded).  Not big - but a flat brown (base material under the vinyl) flaw on shiny black does kind of detract from the design details on the purse.

I contacted the seller with photos and she asked if I wanted a full refund & return it or a partial refund & keep it. 

Next day, I sent her my decision (full refund & return it) and packed the thing up (original packing - but stapling the torn area & duct taping it before putting the purse into the padded mailer).  I got back an email with a "keep it - I can't sell it in that condition" and a full refund notice from PayPal.

I *KNOW* that I owe her excellent feedback - I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to word it. 

Should I also send her something for the item, possibly the postage charges?  Or take her at her word and just keep it.  I haven't decided if I want to try using it due to the flaw or not (again - flat brown shows up in an area where it is supposed to be shiny black patent).

I may consider a slightly higher amount to be sent back to her - based on if I am able to reattach vinyl around the tear that is loosened from the base (at this point - it would just start ripping more of the thin layer of black patent vinyl away if I tried using it and it rubbed against anything) and cover the flaw with something that hides or if I can do anything to repair it. 

Ebay etiquette is complicated by good sellers, bad sellers, good buyers, bad buyers, people who are leaving feedback not clearly phrased (or even deliberately confusing due to eBay not allowing sellers to say anything bad about buyers - even if they don't pay, file loss reports, or otherwise get something for nothing).  I want to continue to be a good buyer...and help build good feedback for someone who did go "above & beyond" on customer service.  But without confusing future potential buyers...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:57:34 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Lindee

Re: What Do I Owe An Ebay Seller (please read)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:09:02 PM »
Was the tape something the seller had done or had it happened in transit and was put on by the postal company?  If it hadn't been her fault I'd give her a good review praising her customer service. If it was caused by her shoddy packing that would be a very different thing.

doodlemor

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 06:23:14 PM »
I've bought a lot of clothing and accessories on ebay over the years.  When there have been problems I have just stated the facts in a neutral way, to let other buyers make their own decisions.  There isn't really much room for comments, so after you decide the basics of what you want to say you will probably want to tinker with the comment a bit.

For example, a recent item was exactly what was described, but was not mailed for 15 days after I paid for it.  I gave the seller a positive rating - not sure if she deserved it - but made the comment about the 15 day lapse of time.

I POD Lindee about the tape.  The source of the mess would certainly affect my review.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 07:00:58 PM »
My review would be mostly colored by the fact she gave excellent customer service. She asked you how you would prefer to handle it, gave you a full refund, and sent you back the item.

I would say something like "item was slightly damaged in packing/shipping, but Seller gave a full refund, and returned the item to me as well.  A pleasure doing business with him/her"
                www.ellenseltz.com

DavidH

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 07:18:14 PM »
POD to EllenS.  If you got you money back and kept the item (even if damaged), it's hard to give anything other than good feedback. If you still want the item and the seller has others to sell, you could even buy another one from them and be back where you started from.  If it's unique, then that won't work, but it's still hard for me to fault a seller who refunds you money and let's you keep the damaged item.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 07:18:56 PM »
If the package was damaged in transit and the article was also damaged as a result, it wasn't packed well enough, IMO.

I would be completely honest:  The item I ordered was damaged in transit.  The seller was very prompt responding to me and offered a partial refund if I wished to keep the item or a full refund if I wished to return it.  When I elected to return the item, I promptly received a full refund.  The seller decided the item was now unsellable and indicated that I should keep it.  Overall, seller's customer service was excellent.

I wouldn't say it was a pleasure to do business with her as it really wasn't - you didn't get the item you ordered and had to do some extra legwork to get your money back but overall, it was good service.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

thunderroad

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »
POD to EllenS.  If you got you money back and kept the item (even if damaged), it's hard to give anything other than good feedback. If you still want the item and the seller has others to sell, you could even buy another one from them and be back where you started from.  If it's unique, then that won't work, but it's still hard for me to fault a seller who refunds you money and let's you keep the damaged item.

I agree.  Sometimes things go wrong with transactions, but this seller really stepped up.  I would give positive feedback.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 08:21:02 PM »
I think this seller deserves excellent feedback.  It honestly sounds like the shipping company did the taping after the package was damaged.  The seller went above and beyond in making sure you were satisfied.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 08:23:17 PM »
I think this seller deserves excellent feedback.  It honestly sounds like the shipping company did the taping after the package was damaged.  The seller went above and beyond in making sure you were satisfied.

But if the seller had packaged it more securely, it wouldn't have been damaged, even if the outside packaging was damaged.  I would leave excellent feedback regarding the service but I would mention that it was damaged in transit and let buyers read between the lines.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »
I just got back here after reading the last message from the seller.

The gist of it is, she packed the item in a brand new padded mailer bought from the post office.  Neither mailer nor purse had any damage when she took it to the post office to ship.

When I got it, one end was ripped & taped back together badly - you could see the edge of the purse through a gap in the mailer.  The tape that was used to "fix" the torn end was printed with "Priority Mail" - which I have not seen for sale in stores with packing supplies - so I have a strong feeling that the package was damaged by the handling the post office gave it (or their equipment), someone tried to do some kind of a ham-handed "fix" when it tore open on one end, and THAT was when the purse got stuck into the exposed adhesive - which is what damaged the purse. 

I'm going to send her the photos I took and hold onto the package (already set up to mail her - I stapled the end & used duct tape - but the duct tape can be removed to show the missing section of envelope & I got the Priority Mail tape out of the trash to go with it).  If she can get her money back from the post office, then neither of us is out of pocket for what happened while it was in transit.

The feedback will wait until after things have been sorted out a bit more, though.  Last week before college finals (VorSon) and one more week before high school awards ceremony (VorGuy is a teacher) & then finals.  Christmas break in a little over two weeks and I am NOT READY. 

A personal problem and not related to the eBay issue at all, except as it does impact my ability to sit down and write a draft then rewrite (not much space allowed in the feedback).

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:56:25 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

gollymolly2

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »

The gist of it is, she packed the item in a brand new padded mailer bought from the post office.  Neither mailer nor purse had any damage when she took it to the post office to ship.

When I got it, one end was ripped & taped back together badly - you could see the edge of the purse through a gap in the mailer.  The tape that was used to "fix" the torn end was printed with "Priority Mail" - which I have not seen for sale in stores with packing supplies - so I have a strong feeling that the package was damaged by the handling the post office gave it (or their equipment), someone tried to do some kind of a ham-handed "fix" when it tore open on one end, and THAT was when the purse got stuck into the exposed adhesive - which is what damaged the purse. 

I'm going to send her the photos I took and hold onto the package (already set up to mail her - I stapled the end & used duct tape - but the duct tape can be removed to show the missing section of envelope & I got the Priority Mail tape out of the trash to go with it).  If she can get her money back from the post office, then neither of us is out of pocket for what happened while it was in transit.

The feedback will wait until after things have been sorted out a bit more, though.  Last week before college finals (VorSon) and one more week before high school awards ceremony (VorGuy is a teacher) & then finals.  Christmas break in a little over two weeks and I am NOT READY. 

A personal problem and not related to the eBay issue at all, except as it does impact my ability to sit down and write a draft then rewrite (not much space allowed in the feedback).

I have to admit I'm confused by how your son and husband's finals prevent you from leaving feedback.  Seems like it would take less time to write feedback than to write this post.

I recommend leaving excellent feedback and doing so soon.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 11:34:27 PM »
"There was an issue with the purse due to shipping but the Seller handled it gracefully and quickly!  Definitely would buy from them again!  A++++++!!!"

Maybe throw in some more exclamation points. ;-)

doodlemor

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 11:36:33 PM »
It may be that you only have a certain number of days to leave feedback.  Since the damage was not her fault, I would leave positive feedback.  I would also mention how well she handled the issue of damage done by the post office.

I like bopper's feedback, but it may be too long.  The easiest thing is to sit down and start typing feedback in the little space provided.  You can use abbreviations and so forth, and I've even seen people leave out spaceslikethistomakeapoint.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 12:10:49 AM »
"There was an issue with the purse due to shipping but the Seller handled it gracefully and quickly!  Definitely would buy from them again!  A++++++!!!"

Maybe throw in some more exclamation points. ;-)

Perfect.

I wouldn't go into the packaging damage and the fact that the seller let you have it for free.  If people know that's her policy, I could see buyers intentionally scamming her. 

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 12:18:47 AM »

I have to admit I'm confused by how your son and husband's finals prevent you from leaving feedback.  Seems like it would take less time to write feedback than to write this post.

I recommend leaving excellent feedback and doing so soon.

I think it's that OP is not the kind of person who can dash off a message and hit send.  She has to think about it, write it and make sure it's ok before hitting send.  It also may be that this is just a lower priority than everything else going on in her life and can wait until she feels she has the time to deal with it.  There is nothing wrong with either