Author Topic: "No dog, no shorts, no cookies." Mom's Christmas rules UPDATE #49,#118 134 FIN  (Read 30866 times)

padua

While the gift could have been purchased and given with good intentions, that the OP's mother said she just wanted it out of her house is more telling to me. I would rather not have a gift at all.

well, she did hold onto it for an entire year

ms.bliss

Re: "No dog, no shorts, no cookies." Mom's Christmas rules FINAL #134
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2014, 06:36:07 PM »
Very glad that it all worked out and you had a nice visit home.  I agree the joy of kids at the holiday is a spirit lifter!

I am curious about what this means:

Only a few ate.  (My family is from Texas, nuff said)

lollylegs

I'm going to have to disagree with the majority here.

Perhaps I'm missing some back story, and if so I apologise, but I don't see what the mother has done that is so bad it deserves accusations of toxicity and gaslighting.

Further, I found the OPs update a little ungracious. Was it necessary to point out that the food wasn't seasoned properly, and that very few ate? The gift your mother gave you sounded sweet and thoughtful and I don't think it's a 'miss' just because you can't remember it. And so what if your mother didn't talk to anyone at church? I know a lot of people go to church for the social aspect as much as the spirituality, but some of us just like to sit at the back, listen, and head home.

If you're worried that your mother is lonely then perhaps you could help her to reach out to other people, but I'm not getting that from your posts. I'm getting a sense, 'She has NO friends, what a weirdo!' and honestly, I feel a little sorry for her.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2014, 06:51:18 PM »
Very glad that it all worked out and you had a nice visit home.  I agree the joy of kids at the holiday is a spirit lifter!

I think it was because the "chili" had no actual chili seasoning

ms.bliss

« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »

and that has to do with being from Texas how?

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2014, 06:55:59 PM »

It also had beans in it.  A generic beef stew is closer to chili, than Beef and Beans that the OP's mother served. 

ms.bliss

Interesting...a "generic beef stew" is nowhere near what I should consider chili. 

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Interesting...a "generic beef stew" is nowhere near what I should consider chili.

Looking back at the post it was just beef+beans+tomatoes, nothing else.  While it doesn't sound like the worst thing ever, it's definitely not chili.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Texas is famous for chili, particularly a "bowl of red" which is beef, onion and chiles.

ms.bliss

Looking back at the post it was just beef+beans+tomatoes, nothing else.  While it doesn't sound like the worst thing ever, it's definitely not chili.
[/quote]

Yep, I couldn't agree more :)  It was the whole mom's from Texas 'nuff said comment I thought was off...Texas has some amazing chefs and some slap yo mama it's soooo good chili so yeah, 'nuff said lol!

cb140

Yep, I couldn't agree more :)  It was the whole mom's from Texas 'nuff said comment I thought was off...Texas has some amazing chefs and some slap yo mama it's soooo good chili so yeah, 'nuff said lol!
[/quote]

FWIW, I took the "family is from Texas, nuff said" to mean that *RegionMom's* family is from Texas, and therefore is used to much better chili (or at least more to her taste) than her mom was providing.  I don't think she was impugning Texan cuisine - quite the opposite.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store

I think Region Mom was saying that the family was from TX and mom should have known better to give them the Beef+Beans and expect them to believe it's chili. 

cb140 I think we posted at the same time

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
RegionMom here-

I have lived in TX for many years, and DH and kids were born in TX.
Unseasoned ground beef, beans, and tomatoes in a pot for one hour does not equal chili.
 :-[ :P :( ???

As for the gift of two large framed prints of an artist from a preschool children's book I really do not remember, yeah, it was more of, "I was shopping an old store and came across this, and the price was cheap, so I got it.  It has been taking up space so it needs to get gone or I will pass it on to charity. 
Nevermind that you have been in your house for over 15 years and it is fully decorated, and that you have older teens, never mind that you have nieces and nephews that ARE preschoolers and might like a matching book to go with the print, nevermind that I am giving you glass over a print that may break as you drive home 18 hours, I myself, as mom of Christmas here, remember at some point in your life that I read to you one of the books related to this print, so therefore it will be your gift."

Think of any cute animal story  book for preschool- and give two framed prints related to one of those stories that are  too large to fit in a family sized suitcase.   Not collector's editions of signed prints, not a beloved book, not a book I have a copy of or have for my own kids, just a vague, "yes, you had this read to you and you liked it."

Since I am the oldest, and it was so loved, (and it is a unisex book) why was it not shared with my younger brothers?

Meh.

Two years ago I received from her a car trash bag and a clip on thingee for a pot to hold the stirring spoon, so I guess this year was better. 
:)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Unseasoned ground beef, beans, and tomatoes in a pot for one hour does not equal chili.

I'm Canadian and even I don't think that's chili.   :D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Thanks for the update. One more year?