Author Topic: How do you make hamburgers?  (Read 1868 times)

Daquiri40

Re: How do you make hamburgers?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 05:13:54 PM »
Mine isn't very creative - but I dice up onions and mix it up with the ground meat and add a tablespoon or two of Worcheshire sauce.

I've started cooking them by putting an indent in the middle (Rachael Ray idea) and they cook more evenly that way.

Library Dragon

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 12:50:51 AM »
I too use a ground sirloin/chuck mixture.  I like to mix in zatar as the spice.  (Have never used baharat, but I want to try it now.)

1/4 lb. of meat for each burger. I flatten the meat balls between two dessert plates.

When cooking on the stove I heat the pan over high heat for at least 2 minutes. I sear the burger on one side for 2 minutes, flip and repeat.  Lower the heat and cook for another 3-5 minutes. 

I like sharp cheddar DH likes provelone.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 03:15:36 AM »
I too use a ground sirloin/chuck mixture.  I like to mix in zatar as the spice.  (Have never used baharat, but I want to try it now.)

just go easy on it - i LOVE this spice but it tends to be a bit overwhelming as it includes allspice, cardamon and cloves among other spices. i think it's persian in origin.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Library Dragon

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 06:57:58 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'm going adding it to my shopping list.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

peaches

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »
When I'm craving a beef burger, we go to In-N-Out!

But at home, I often make these Actually Delicious Turkey Burgers:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/actually-delicious-turkey-burgers/

RubyCat

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 09:15:18 PM »
I'm a pretty simple cook. I like to use ground sirloin. If it is rather lean, I'll go 1/2 sirloin, half chuck. The mix usually gives me the tastiest, juiciest burgers. I chop an onion and mix it in with the ground beef. I make the patties by hand and poke a hole in the middle so it will cook faster. I fry them in my cast iron pan until they are well done. I slather the inside of the buns and fry them in a separate pan. I melt a slice of American cheese on mine and top it with relish and ketchup. Yum!

My daughter was recently telling she bought some beef that was freshly ground at the butcher shop and raved about how good it was. I'm thinking about digging out my kitchen aid grinder attachment and trying it at home.

Cricket

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 02:13:56 AM »
I'd never thought to poke a hole in the middle to aid even cooking. Must give that a go next time I make burgers.

My burgers are pretty basic: onion, splash of worchestershire or barbeque sauce and 1 tablespoon fruit chutney for each 1/2 kilo (or 1 pound) of mince.

Sometimes I'll add taco seasoning instead of the fruit chutney if we feel like a bit of zing.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
I'd never thought to poke a hole in the middle to aid even cooking. Must give that a go next time I make burgers.

My burgers are pretty basic: onion, splash of worchestershire or barbeque sauce and 1 tablespoon fruit chutney for each 1/2 kilo (or 1 pound) of mince.

Sometimes I'll add taco seasoning instead of the fruit chutney if we feel like a bit of zing.

This reminded me of something my DH (the one who doesn't cook but decided to become the burger master) learned. When shaping the patties, make them slightly concave in the middle. When patties normally cook, the middle pumps up so if you have them slightly thinner when the plump up, they end up being flat on the grill or griddle giving a uniform crust and evening out cooking.

Mikayla

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 04:44:35 PM »
I don't make these for others, because I like mine black n blue and don't know how to prepare them any other way.  So I pan fry by putting a little canola oil in the pan and waiting until it smokes.  It sits on each side for about 30 seconds and we're done.

For the burger, I mix in bleu cheese crumbles, and if I'm feeling feisty, some cooked bacon crumbles.  I coat the outside with pepper.  They are so yummy.