Author Topic: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread  (Read 51202 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread
« on: December 07, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
We have a decluttering thread and a non-procrastinating thread but some days, I'm so tired, just getting anything done is an accomplishment.  So this thread is to post our small victories and pleasure that we managed to get anything done at all.  There may be different reasons for that - chronic illness, in my case; looking after everyone else but you; working long hours - whatever your reason, here's your chance to detail what you did get done.   :)

I had plans to visit my Dad today, stay overnight and come back in the morning but there are some pretty major snowsqualls between here and there so I decided to just head up in the morning, spend the day with him and head back in the late afternoon.  It is only a little over an hour drive so that is totally doable.

So I spent today doing some things:
I got 4 loads of laundry done, sorted, folded, put away and my bed remade
I did my non-dishwasher dishes
I unpacked the dishwasher from last night's run and repacked it with the containers I accidentally dropped in the cats' water dish last night  ::)
I sorted my Christmas presents and put them in bags for each person, tucked into a Rubbermaid to keep them from being all over the place
I tidied my bedroom a little bit - there is a little more room to move in there but it still needs some work.
I've been doing a little bit of knitting on the sleeves for the sweater for my Dad for Christmas
If I get the sleeves done, I go back to working on the sweater for my nephew - the sleeves and back are done and the front is started.  I had to pause until I got one more ball of yarn in the correct colour.

I'm taking a rest (and drinking a beer - I earned it!) right now but if I have the energy, I'm going to do a little organizing in the kitchen, putting away baking supplies now that my cookies are done.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

JennJenn68

Re: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 04:10:48 PM »
Wow, you've been a mine of energy today!

I've finished most of the laundry (and living with two men who both seem to feel the need for multiple changes of clothing daily, this is no easy task!), finished cleaning the whole main floor of the house, and managed to sort out my Christmas shopping.  In a few minutes, once my back stops yelling at me, I'm getting into the car and going out to pick up some things at our local Shopper's Drug Mart.

(I wanted to get another batch of my caramel popcorn done today, but alas, I'm out of corn syrup, and hitting the grocery store on a Saturday afternoon in December is a sure-fire way to induce a full-fledged panic attack in me.  I'll go later on this evening, when they're about to close and the place is almost empty!)

Still plan on finishing my online Christmas shopping tonight--mostly gift cards.  THEN I'll have one of those beers you were discussing!  ;D

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »
I took a shower!! And have blow dried my hair.

Um...also I finished the plate of cookies we made last weekend and painted my nails.

cattlekid

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 04:22:02 PM »
Boy, I could have used this thread when I was on dialysis 15 hours a week and trying to hold down a full time job.  That was so exhausting that getting anything else done in the course of a day was a major accomplishment.  Now that I have a (so far!) successful transplant, my new issue is making sure I do something useful every day instead of just flitting off doing the fun stuff that I really want to do but didn't have time for before.

Today, so far all I have done (outside of going to my regular Saturday morning knitting breakfast) is to complete a mystery shop and input it into the computer.  But DH has planned on going out tonight to see a friend so I have the whole rest of the evening to myself so I plan on checking back in later with a healthy list of accomplishments!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »
I managed to get most of my xmas shopping done today . . . online, but still! That counts, right?

Saturday's are my procrastination/lazy days.

I'll check in tomorrow after laundry/shopping/cleaning/cooking, etc. ;D

turtleIScream

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »
I took my 13 year old bra shopping today.
I also helped her pick out Christmas gifts - she got 8 out of 10 purchased!
I made lunch.

My husband put our bikes in storage, and brought up the rest of the Christmas decorations. He also unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher.

Not a lot done, but all important!
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »
I got new tires!  And got almost all the envelopes addressed for our Christmas cards - my DH has about half of the cards written out.  That's our version of a division of labor! :D 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 05:24:10 PM »
Near record cold snap - seemed like a good idea to bake brownies, a pizza, and now ziti for dinner...if I had a crock pot large enough & a ham bone, I'd have a batch of bean soup going, too.  But spiral sliced ham is NOT going into a batch of bean soup!  Two crock pots might end up popping the circuit breaker again.

I had a computer die last month - reminds me - I need to contact the manufacturer one more time as the recovery disk CDs are not working.  That would give me four things done today instead of only three!

I also got into the "gift closet" and wrote down what we had on hand & marked the items by who they are for - now to finish making a list of people that I still need to shop for...and get the guys to come up with some ideas instead of JUST ME!

One or two people are easy to come up with a back up gift for - double recipe of "my" chocolate chip cookie dough, made into rolls, and frozen for baking when they want fresh cookies (recipe has been in the recipe folder for years).  Apparently, they are better than the ones his mother AND my mother used to make...according to my BIL and two brothers.  (Mom let me take over the baking back in fifth or sixth grade, it let her rest while I was cooking or cleaning up after myself.  And that was part of the deal - I baked & I did my own dishes afterward.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:28:10 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »
I managed to get most of my xmas shopping done today . . . online, but still! That counts, right?

Absolutely!

And have blow dried my hair.

For me, this would be an accomplishment.  It's something I only did on occasion when I wanted straight hair but it is one of those things that just wears me out.  Holding my arms up over my head for the 15 minutes or so it takes to blow dry it straight is just not worth the energy for me.  If I want my hair straight, I go to my stylist.

But spiral sliced ham is NOT going into a batch of bean soup!

I love spiral sliced ham for my pea soup.  I'll buy one, take off all the nice slices and make my own 'TV' dinners with it, then cut off the rest and cut into small chunks.  The bone gets boiled to make the broth and the chunks get added back at the end.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »

But spiral sliced ham is NOT going into a batch of bean soup!

I love spiral sliced ham for my pea soup.  I'll buy one, take off all the nice slices and make my own 'TV' dinners with it, then cut off the rest and cut into small chunks.  The bone gets boiled to make the broth and the chunks get added back at the end.

I like ham.  I don't like bean soup.

We cooked the ham last week in Florida on "vacation" with Ambrosia Hino & family - due to limited fridge space, the bone got tossed out as I didn't want to mess with trying to freeze it to deal with at home (ours or hers).  VorGuy is the one who did not want the bean soup made with the GOOD ham - he wants ham & cheese omelets for breakfast tomorrow (which will probably will use up the last of the ham).

Bean soup is something that he is the ONLY person in the house eating...so it can wait for the next time we have a ham bone in the house! 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

veronaz

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »
Dusting......
Not just surface dusting.  I mean dusting high & low - getting on hands and knees and cleanng the undersides, etc. of all tables, chairs, whatever needed it.  Amazing how dust accumulates.  Whew!  Lots of bending and squatting.  Good workout.  My sweatpants fit the occasion perfectly.   :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »
Dusting......
Not just surface dusting.  I mean dusting high & low - getting on hands and knees and cleanng the undersides, etc. of all tables, chairs, whatever needed it.  Amazing how dust accumulates.  Whew!  Lots of bending and squatting.  Good workout.  My sweatpants fit the occasion perfectly.   :)

You have my admiration.  My theory of dusting is 'Don't disturb the dust layer so you can't tell it's dusty.'   :P
Ontario

GratefulMaria

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 07:33:04 PM »
I baked pumpkin garlic knots and drove them ninety minutes down the road to DS1 and his GF.  He had a package delivered here a few days ago and some other things, so it all worked out.

Got a walk with my dog.

Took my mother to church.

Started a fire in the wood stove.

Turned on our Christmas lights.

ETA I completely forgot about my laundry, even after others posted about theirs!  Washed and hung a load right before my walk.  Also, this evening I paid DS2's tuition installment online using a different account than I had in the past, so until it actually goes through all right it's not an actual accomplishment.  Yet.  :-)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 07:47:24 PM by GratefulMaria »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 08:18:52 PM »
I baked pumpkin garlic knots...

That sounds really interesting.  Are you willing to share the recipe?

I didn't do any organizing in the kitchen but I did reorganize my chest and fridge freezers to create some space.  I need to eat a fair amount between now and next Sunday.  I have bread to bake next weekend and need the space!
Ontario

GratefulMaria

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »
I baked pumpkin garlic knots...

That sounds really interesting.  Are you willing to share the recipe?

I didn't do any organizing in the kitchen but I did reorganize my chest and fridge freezers to create some space.  I need to eat a fair amount between now and next Sunday.  I have bread to bake next weekend and need the space!

http://www.handletheheat.com/2010/10/pumpkin-garlic-knots.html

I've made them twice, made the dough a day ahead and refrigerated it overnight.  Very user-friendly.  Enjoy!