Author Topic: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread  (Read 43388 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »
I'm going to have to try those.  Probably not until after Christmas, though.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

greencat

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 10:45:55 PM »
Let me see...

I performed the sweep-vacuum-mop-vacuum dry ritual that passes for cleaning the floor in my house. 

I made it to about 75% complete on painting the kitchen cabinets.  Some of them are done, some of them need another coat.

I spent a lot of my day playing with my cats.  One of them even managed to supervise the painting project without ending up painted :)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 12:23:55 AM »
Do things you have your minions do count?  If so, then I had my minions tidy their bedroom and bathroom.  Didn't quite get to vacuuming their room or cleaning the bathroom, but we'll try for that tomorrow.  Also had the minions make their own lunch and do a few minutes of tidying in their playroom.  Oh, and they entertained the baby for a bit while I was grocery shopping (husband was home but trying to do some home repairs).

I did a bit of tidying up downstairs, nothing significant, but I did cut out some coupons and then leave them on the table when I went grocery shopping.  <sigh>  Went to the warehouse store.  Got to the store and back in 1.5 hours, not too shabby, and got the groceries put away.

We were invited to dinner at some friends' house tonight, AND we managed to get out the door in time and arrive precisely 1 minute early.  With 4 kids, this is a feat in and of itself, especially since the place was about 30 minutes away, so hard to time exactly.  There were no major fights or tragedies with 7 kids playing together, and our kids mostly said "please" and "thank you" and ate their entire dinners (the baby ate about 3 dinners' worth of food).

Then when we came home, we watched Jeeves and Wooster while I worked some more on the baby's Christmas stocking.  I have 17 days left to make sure that her stocking does actually have a toe, so that everything doesn't fall out the open bottom.  I'm cautiously optimistic, as I have rounded the ankle and am on the foot now.  I'm not sure it will have the I-cord to hold the top, though, so I may have to improvise with some ribbon if I don't get that done in time.  All the stockings are *supposed* to have an i-cord through the top with little decorative knitted animals attached to each end.  So far only my oldest child's stocking (and mine and my husband's) has these.  I managed to eke out the rest of the stockings, but none of them have the little animals.  Someday, someday.  Animals are not structural, at least.  And knitting 3-dimensional reindeer is not a particular strength of mine.

SheltieMom

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 12:56:20 AM »
We are completely iced in in the DFW (TX) area, so I haven't been out of the house since Thursday. I have:

Finished 3 desserts for my daughter's wedding (which is the 20th!), and have one more to make tonight.
Finished all but one of the belts for the bridesmaids' dresses (At least all I can do now. My DIL, who is a bridesmaid, is 4 1/2 months pregnant, and we're not sure if she will even get into her dress. Her belt gets made the day before!)
Finished the first quilt I've sold on my new Facebook page, and it's for a fellow ehellion!
Made a big pot of soup for tomorrow.

I really need to get out and finish my Christmas shopping. With the wedding coming up, we're having our family Christmas on the 18th, so I'm really getting close.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 04:05:19 AM »
maybe this thread will push me into finishing somethign at work that i *really* don't want to do AND washing the dishes at home...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

pwv

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 05:37:58 AM »
I got out all my dvds and entered the titles into an excel spreadsheet, clicked "sort" and saved it in my "misc." folder.  I also went to the hardware store to get light bulbs for my dusk-to-dawn lamp, then dragged my ladder out into the cold and put the new bulbs in.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 08:58:22 AM »
I got the sleeves done for my Dad's sweater last night.

I'm leaving for my Dad's place momentarily but I'm going to leave his place this afternoon so I'm driving mostly in daylight.  So this evening, I'll go back to working on the front of my nephew's.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Amara

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 01:34:59 PM »
Yesterday, I finished up my Christmas shopping by hitting the 99 Cents store for all my stocking stuffers. These are small items that are designed to make everyone "ooh" and "aah" over them as both funny and practical: Band-aids, safety pins, teas, spicy garbanzo bean snacks, dried herbs, chapstick, etc. I have them piled in individual bags so all I need to do now is begin wrapping.

I also put a pretty garland I bought on the buffet where it looks lovely. My home, even without a tree, looks festive and attractive but not overdone. I feel very Christmas-y! And not one bit of stress.

kckgirl

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »
I got up, had breakfast, took a shower, dressed, and went to church in lovely weather. After church, I drove home on treacherous snow-covered roads that hadn't been treated for the snow that was supposed to come later today. We just finished lunch, so now I plan to do laundry and cut my hair. Did you know that when some people cut their hair it gets darker? Mine does. ;)
Maryland

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2013, 04:20:49 PM »
Do things you have your minions do count?

Yup.  You have to supervise!  And I giggled at you referring to your daughters as 'minions'.    :)

I got to my Dad's, unloaded his cookies and some squash soup I made for him to give someone who is celiac (instead of the cookies).  Then we went into town, put gas in my car and hit the Dollar Store.  I got the gift bags and gift tags I needed.  As I was walking through the aisles, I found a toddler sleeper for $3.  So that's what I bought to hide my nephew's money in.  He said he wanted clothes, after all.   ;D  I figure we can donate it somewhere after Christmas.

Between the two of us, we got a couple of wheelbarrow loads of wood in for him and we figured out how to turn on my fog lights - I couldn't remember.

As I was coming home, I stopped to get gas in a gas can for my snowblower - we're expecting a lot of snow this week - and I refilled the tank.  Then I did my grocery shopping, including some stuff for donating to Christmas Cheer when I go to volunteer next Monday.

Now I have the dishwasher to unpack that ran while I was out and the dishes I did by hand yesterday to put away.  And other than knitting, I don't think I'm doing anything else today.
Ontario

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2013, 05:14:08 PM »
I went grocery shopping, got to the library to pick up some books on hold, and went to Target to get a kitchen scale since mine went missing about two weeks ago.  I use the scale for soap and lotion making, and a bunch of people are getting soaps, lotions, etc for Christmas, so I'm glad I was able to find a pretty decent one. 

We were going to put up Christmas lights outside, but my DH decided to procrastinate doing his other stuff today so there isn't enough light out anymore.  Hopefully next weekend we'll have some nice weather and can do it!

Tonight I need to wrap presents and we'll put up our Christmas tree.  I think that's enough for one day!

greencat

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
I got most of the kitchen cabinets painted.  I need another quart of paint - I might just get a gallon, since it's white enamel and I might as well take the rest of it and do the baseboards.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 08:33:52 PM »
Outdoor Girl, can you post the squash soup recipe, please?

Today was a mile a minute.  Took my mother to her house (she lives with us now, hers is on the market, but she goes back once or twice a week to bake or do some packing or other projects).  Did a grocery run.  Stopped by the pharmacy with DS1's insurance info for an rx I had picked up last week, they refunded me a few hundred dollars because they were able to bill it back.  Lost my personal planner on a shelf in the organic dairy case.  Rummaged around the onions and sweet potatoes looking for it until I backtracked to the right place and found it.  That was worse than paying cash for a prescription.

At home I put away the groceries, took a walk with my dog, did some stretches for my knee, built a fire and brought in some logs, finally got a shower, and then my mother called to pick her up.  Back home again, spent some time online, reheated dinner when DH got home from work, chatted with him a while, made some pop tarts for DS2, and am about to build him his care package.

I'm ready to sit down with a book.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 08:45:22 PM »
Outdoor Girl, can you post the squash soup recipe, please?

It's the one Venus posted in the recipe section ages ago:  http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/baja_butternut_squash_soup.html

I made a few changes.  I don't use the garnish at all because I freeze it.  It freezes well but it reheats better in a pot with some stirring, rather than the microwave.

I don't keep chipotle on hand so I substitute chilli powder.  I also reduce the broth to 4 cups, because that's the size it comes in from the grocery store.  I've used other kinds of squash, too, and they are also good.  I was going to try it with pumpkin but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  I've made it without the cumin and that was good, too.
Ontario

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 08:49:03 PM »
I put up and decorated the tree today. I also worked on my Christmas cards. What else? Oh, I cooked up some hot wings and cut up celery and carrots to go with the blue cheese dressing. I also accomplished taking a nap this afternoon!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!