General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Beyoncé wears fur, cowskin, leather, etc... to a series of vegan restaurants

<< < (2/11) > >>

Twik:

--- Quote from: greencat on December 08, 2013, 11:25:59 PM ---I saw one of the several articles about this myself.  My first thought is that her hubby's decision to become vegan for three weeks and the announcement of her intent to join him were made without her input, or at least against her wishes, and this is her way of passive-aggressively protesting.  There is absolutely no way she isn't intentionally wearing all the clothing she owns made out of real animal.

--- End quote ---

Yes, that was my first thought, that it was a protest against a decision she hadn't been given a choice in.

JenJay:

--- Quote from: Twik on December 08, 2013, 11:28:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: greencat on December 08, 2013, 11:25:59 PM ---I saw one of the several articles about this myself.  My first thought is that her hubby's decision to become vegan for three weeks and the announcement of her intent to join him were made without her input, or at least against her wishes, and this is her way of passive-aggressively protesting.  There is absolutely no way she isn't intentionally wearing all the clothing she owns made out of real animal.

--- End quote ---

Yes, that was my first thought, that it was a protest against a decision she hadn't been given a choice in.

--- End quote ---

I wondered about that too. Does she not consider that in addition to thumbing her nose at him she's being incredibly disrespectful to every other person eating and working in each of those places? A grown up should be able to say "Um what? Thank you, but no. I fully support what my husband is doing but I won't be joining him." If she doesn't have the spine to be frank with her husband she should feign a headache and stay home.

JoieGirl7:
Unless vegan restaurants are turning into churches, I don't know that etiquettely speaking, it is anybody else's business what one wears in one as long as they are adequately dressed.

Certain types of religious people who run restaurants could not tell gay couples not to hold hands over a cup o joe because homosexuality offends them.  I would expect that a vegan restaurant does not get to impose what amounts to a moral rule upon its customers.  Would you assert that it is rude for a gay couple to show affection in a restaurant they know is run by religious people who believe that homosexuality is wrong?

I don't see that she did anything rude.   It seems like people just want to make a big deal out of things that a celebrity does.

Hillia:

--- Quote from: Audrey Quest on December 08, 2013, 11:39:26 PM ---Unless vegan restaurants are turning into churches, I don't know that etiquettely speaking, it is anybody else's business what one wears in one as long as they are adequately dressed.

Certain types of religious people who run restaurants could not tell gay couples not to hold hands over a cup o joe because homosexuality offends them.  I would expect that a vegan restaurant does not get to impose what amounts to a moral rule upon its customers.  Would you assert that it is rude for a gay couple to show affection in a restaurant they know is run by religious people who believe that homosexuality is wrong?

I don't see that she did anything rude.   It seems like people just want to make a big deal out of things that a celebrity does.

--- End quote ---

it's not just that the owners of a vegan restaurant disapprove of animal products, that moral stance is  the whole premise of the restaurant.  So yeah, I vote rude.

JenJay:

--- Quote from: Audrey Quest on December 08, 2013, 11:39:26 PM ---Unless vegan restaurants are turning into churches, I don't know that etiquettely speaking, it is anybody else's business what one wears in one as long as they are adequately dressed.

--- End quote ---

I think that going into an establishment that is known for strongly advocating X*, and deliberately making a Big Deal of doing anti-X, is rude. To me it's the same thing as a vegan choosing to go to a steakhouse and then spending the entire meal rolling their eyes, sighing loudly, and muttering comments about murder and dead flesh while the people around you are trying to enjoy their prime rib. Nobody is making you go so if you find it objectionable or choose not to participate - don't go.

I can appreciate that vegan people to want to have a few places where they know they can order anything off the menu and not have to worry about it. Why should anybody feel they have the right to walk in there wearing furs? It may not be illegal but I think it's crass and disrespectful.

*I'm referencing general places where there's no intent to harm, not KKk rallies or something extreme like that

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version