Author Topic: Beyoncé wears fur, cowskin, leather, etc... to a series of vegan restaurants  (Read 6345 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
If she was wearing leather shoes and carrying a leather purse, I'd give her a pass.  But to wear fur, cowskin and a dress with a meat print?  She's trying to make a statement.  Not sure what that statement is beyond, 'Look at me!'  The only thing worse would be the dress literally made out of meat that Lady Gaga wore.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hillia

I think what bugs me is that Jay-Z made a huge public deal out of his spiritual quest blah blah blah.  If you're going to deliberately draw attention to yourself, you let yourself in for additional scrutiny.  I'm with the camp that thinks this is her silent rebellion.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
I don't have any issue with this at all.  If there were a dress code she had violated, that would make a difference, but there isn't.  She hasn't ever said she is vegan or supports that concept longterm, just that she would support her husband eating vegan for one month.  I know quite a few people who profess to be vegetarian or vegan but regularly wear leather and other animal products. 

As an aside, I was vegatarian for six years and now am a happy meat eater. I still enjoy vegetarian food.

Betelnut

I think it is hilarious but that's just me.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

gollymolly2

I agree with the poster who called it tone deaf.

I don't know if what she's doing is rude, but I think it's definitely unpleasant. She's essentially going somewhere that is built around a certain ethical premise and then continuously flouting their ethics really aggressively.  She's not just wearing leather - I could see how someone could wear something like that and not realize it - she's wearing fur and cowhide.  And one time could still be a mistake, but multiple times is intentional.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:43:32 PM by gollymolly2 »

Lynnv

I don't see the problem.   Sure-in a vegan restaurant, there are more likely to be people who are horrified by it than others.  And I would say that wearing fur is pretty tone deaf.  Honestly, though, I have to wonder how someone in the restaurant at that moment (as opposed to the press who can go home and look it up) would know it wasn't faux as opposed to natural fur.  But unless the restaurant has set a dress code that she is violating, it is no more rude than going to an all-organic restaurant wearing clothing with man-made fibers or non-natural dyes.

I eat at a vegan restaurant occasionally.  It is along one of my favorite motorcycle rides.  Last time I was there, the waitress asked me a lot of questions.  About my motorcycle, how/when I learned to ride, how my family and friends reacted, and a dozen or so more similar questions.  They weren't busy, I was alone and she doesn't know any women riders, so she asked if she could talk to me about it as she was interested in riding.  She didn't ask me even once about my leather boots, chaps or gloves.  I usually am not the only biker-and they certainly don't seem to be offended by the biker business (which means lots of leather) they pick up.

And their grilled portobello sandwich is wonderful.  I would be very sad if the decided to set a dress code that disallowed me from going, but until and unless they do,  I will continue to go there even wearing my decidedly non-vegan motorcycle apparel.

Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Coralreef

It may have been a PA sort of rebellion if she had no input on supporting his "spiritual quest" or not.  She did overdo the animal theme, but that's just me. 

The only dress codes I've seen in restaurants are no shoes, no shirt, no service.  I don't have to wear a kimono to a Japanese restaurant or a checkered jacket to the poutine shack. 

I vote for not rude, but tone-deaf with a side of PA.

Note : I put "spiritual quest" in quotation marks because I would think that such a thing is a personal and private experience.  Then again, Jay-Z doesn't strike me a being low-key. 

[/right

TeamBhakta

It's like going to Chuck E Cheese and wearing a shirt saying "Kids suck. Please don't reproduce" or "Ask your mommy what **** means." It's unnecessarily antagonizing people for the sake of showing "Scrabble you, I don't want to be here."

Fleur

There is nothing rude in her behaviour. Nothing at all. I am surprised this topic has made it on here. There is no rule saying that one cannot wear leather to a vegan restaurant. I think that there are a lot of people looking for offence.

gollymolly2

There is nothing rude in her behaviour. Nothing at all. I am surprised this topic has made it on here. There is no rule saying that one cannot wear leather to a vegan restaurant. I think that there are a lot of people looking for offence.

Well clearly different posters have varying opinions on this topic, so I don't see why the topic shouldn't be on the board.   I'm glad the OP posted it, it's given me something interesting to think about.

demarco

I do, too. Beyonce is making a little joke and so what?  It is a restaurant, not a temple. 

Lately, I have become curious about vegan food.  There are quite a few vegan restaurants and a bakery  in my area and I have thought about venturing into one to try out the food.  It never would have occurred to me to censor my wardrobe beforehand.  What would have happened to me had I innocently ventured in with my (faux) zebra tote bag? 

I am sitting here imagining what Seinfeld could have done with a scenario  like this. 

Hillia

I don't think for the average casual diner it would be any big deal to wear leather shoes or a wool jacket (although I do think real fur would be pushing it).  But for a Celebrity, who makes her money having her picture taken and talked about and whose every move is a major publicity event, it does show a lack of respect.  She knew that there was buzz around this great spiritual journey; she knew that she would be photographed at/in the restaurant, and she knew that her clothing choices would be analyzed and discussed; they are every single time she steps out of the house. That is how she earns her living.  So in this case, yes, I think it's rude.  Her decision to wear the most obnoxiously in-your-face non-vegan clothing possible was deliberate, and done deliberately to offend.  The only thing worse she could do was Lady Gaga's meat dress.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

menley

I do, too. Beyonce is making a little joke and so what?  It is a restaurant, not a temple. 

Lately, I have become curious about vegan food.  There are quite a few vegan restaurants and a bakery  in my area and I have thought about venturing into one to try out the food.  It never would have occurred to me to censor my wardrobe beforehand.  What would have happened to me had I innocently ventured in with my (faux) zebra tote bag? 

I am sitting here imagining what Seinfeld could have done with a scenario  like this.

Add me to the camp that thinks it's hilarious!

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it

Add me to the camp that thinks it's hilarious!

Yeah, not to mention that people are now talking about her... I'm sorry, but any time I see outrage about a celebrity doing something like this I automatically assume its a stunt.

EllenS

I have known quite a number of people who went vegan solely because they believed it was better for their health. They had no ethical objection to the use of animal products at all, they just didn't want to eat them.

Vegan restaurants do not exist solely as a protest against the use of animal products.

However, I think it is rude for Beyonce to use her husband's spiritual quest as a way to attract attention to herself.