Author Topic: Beyoncé wears fur, cowskin, leather, etc... to a series of vegan restaurants  (Read 6404 times)

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
However, I think it is rude for Beyonce to use her husband's spiritual quest as a way to attract attention to herself.

Its only rude if he objects to it. If it does it's their business, we might not ever know.

This could well be coordinated between the two of them.

immadz

I think one can support another's spiritual quest without buying into the premise behind it. I think what she did was a publicity stunt.

EllenS

However, I think it is rude for Beyonce to use her husband's spiritual quest as a way to attract attention to herself.

Its only rude if he objects to it. If it does it's their business, we might not ever know.

Indeed, I think that is the most likely explanation.

kglory

When is the last time you saw any person, vegan or non, wearing a shirt like the one in the first link that looks like an entire dead cowhide draped over herself?  Never?  Because it's hideous and unfashionable?

That's why I don't buy this an accident or oversight.  Beyonce is too fashion-conscious to wear something so atrocious - not to mention the pizza-printed pants! - unless it were a calculated publicity move.

I agree with this too.  If Jay-Z were somehow offended by what she wore, he didn't have to go with her.  He could have made himself a salad at home.  OK, who are we kidding, he could have had one of his servants make him a salad at home. 

But he chose to go out with her more than once in these outfits.  He's just as media savvy as she is, if not more so -- there is no doubt in my mind they both intended to cause a "controversy", be photgraphed, make the news, etc.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
I liked the cowskin shirt! It reminded me of chaos worn by toy cowboys.

lakey

It's possible she is that clueless. There was an incident a while back where she was criticized for performing for Gaddafi, before his own people took him out. The behavior of Gaddafi was notorious. There was some pretty

I believe that some celebrities are pandered to to such a degree that they become the equivalent of spoiled children who just don't think.
Truthfully, our cult of celebrity is so bad that these people can behave as if no one matters but themselves, and they will continue to thrive.

jmarvellous

I'm a vegetarian and I love vegan/vegetarian restaurants, but I don't even think about what I might wear that's leather when I eat in them. (Though, for what it's worth, all my leather is either old or something I couldn't find a good vegan substitute for, and none of it looks like a big dead cow or a furry beast!)

I think it's probably a calculated move, but not a particularly edgy one.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
It's possible she is that clueless. There was an incident a while back where she was criticized for performing for Gaddafi, before his own people took him out. The behavior of Gaddafi was notorious. There was some pretty

I believe that some celebrities are pandered to to such a degree that they become the equivalent of spoiled children who just don't think.
Truthfully, our cult of celebrity is so bad that these people can behave as if no one matters but themselves, and they will continue to thrive.

I find it impossible to believe that a woman who has made it as far as Beyonce has is clueless to those types of things. She's built a practical empire, you can't do that without calculating pretty much every move you make.

turnip

I think one can support another's spiritual quest without buying into the premise behind it. I think what she did was a publicity stunt.

I don't want to derail this thread but I think the rudest part of this story is the paparazzi that follow celebrities around every time they leave the house, and the gossip rags that publish this junk.  It's a publicity stunt now to leave your own home in clothes?  To eat out?  I frankly try to ignore any of these 'celebrity out in public' stories - it's not our business, they can do what they like.

sweetonsno

I think a good word for this would be tactless. While some people use the word "vegan" as shorthand for "not eating anything that comes from an animal," the central value of veganism is that animals aren't here for our use, be it clothing, food, or entertainment. Not all vegan restaurants are marketed towards folks who are lifestyle vegans, though.

I think a good analogy here might be places that don't serve alcohol. While they would all probably appeal to people who don't drink, they aren't all marketed specifically towards non-drinkers (or drinkers who are interested in trying a mocktail). If you're going to a hip new place for the heck of it, it probably isn't going to be a huge deal. However, if you go to one that is affiliated with a sobriety program or a faith that eschews drinking, it would be in rather poor taste to wear a tee shirt celebrating intoxication in one way or another.

kglory

I don't want to derail this thread but I think the rudest part of this story is the paparazzi that follow celebrities around every time they leave the house, and the gossip rags that publish this junk.  It's a publicity stunt now to leave your own home in clothes?  To eat out?  I frankly try to ignore any of these 'celebrity out in public' stories - it's not our business, they can do what they like.

I agree with you completely.  I feel awful for celebrities who get stalked when trying to live a normal life, and especially for their children who get photographed and criticized by the media.

But I also feel like some celebrities, and Beyonce and Jay-Z are part of this group, are completely into playing the game and thrusting themselves into the limelight as much as possible.  If they want privacy, why did he tweet about his plans for lunch that day?  Why not just do what a normal person does and go out to lunch without a big announcement? 

menley

I agree with you completely.  I feel awful for celebrities who get stalked when trying to live a normal life, and especially for their children who get photographed and criticized by the media.

But I also feel like some celebrities, and Beyonce and Jay-Z are part of this group, are completely into playing the game and thrusting themselves into the limelight as much as possible.  If they want privacy, why did he tweet about his plans for lunch that day?  Why not just do what a normal person does and go out to lunch without a big announcement?

I don't know... A LOT of my Facebook and Twitter friends post exactly that (where they're going to lunch, the fact that they're at a coffeehouse, etc) - at this point I think that is exactly what normal people do :)

kglory

I don't know... A LOT of my Facebook and Twitter friends post exactly that (where they're going to lunch, the fact that they're at a coffeehouse, etc) - at this point I think that is exactly what normal people do :)

That's a good point!  From my own perspective, I use Facebook very rarely for important things, definitely not to announce every move of my day. But you're right, a lot of my friends do use it this way, and they aren't celebrities.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
I think a good word for this would be tactless. While some people use the word "vegan" as shorthand for "not eating anything that comes from an animal," the central value of veganism is that animals aren't here for our use, be it clothing, food, or entertainment. Not all vegan restaurants are marketed towards folks who are lifestyle vegans, though.

I think a good analogy here might be places that don't serve alcohol. While they would all probably appeal to people who don't drink, they aren't all marketed specifically towards non-drinkers (or drinkers who are interested in trying a mocktail). If you're going to a hip new place for the heck of it, it probably isn't going to be a huge deal. However, if you go to one that is affiliated with a sobriety program or a faith that eschews drinking, it would be in rather poor taste to wear a tee shirt celebrating intoxication in one way or another.

POD, as I can think of some places that don't serve alcohol (most fast food joints, Cracker Barrel) but they're not against drinking, just don't serve alcohol. 

But I wouldn't wear a Jameson's Irish Whiskey shirt (if I had one) around my dh's teetotaling grandmother or to a place that is part of the faith that eschews drinking
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Very tactless. Clearly calculated to offend. Even if some vegans do it for the health reasons many do so for ethical reasons and to have someone dress like that in a vegan restaurant is out-and-out provocative. Given this couple's constant attempts to keep in the limelight, I can't assume that this was merely clueless.

Maybe I'll wear my "Bonnie Prince Charlie was a Moron and Mary Queen of Scots Got What She Deserved" T-shirt to the Tam O'Shanter for next Burn's Night. I'm sure they'll be understanding that it's just me expressing myself.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain