Author Topic: Beyoncé wears fur, cowskin, leather, etc... to a series of vegan restaurants  (Read 6565 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Very tactless. Clearly calculated to offend. Even if some vegans do it for the health reasons many do so for ethical reasons and to have someone dress like that in a vegan restaurant is out-and-out provocative. Given this couple's constant attempts to keep in the limelight, I can't assume that this was merely clueless.

Maybe I'll wear my "Bonnie Prince Charlie was a Moron and Mary Queen of Scots Got What She Deserved" T-shirt to the Tam O'Shanter for next Burn's Night. I'm sure they'll be understanding that it's just me expressing myself.

I'd dance with you if you were wearing that.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Very tactless. Clearly calculated to offend. Even if some vegans do it for the health reasons many do so for ethical reasons and to have someone dress like that in a vegan restaurant is out-and-out provocative. Given this couple's constant attempts to keep in the limelight, I can't assume that this was merely clueless.

Maybe I'll wear my "Bonnie Prince Charlie was a Moron and Mary Queen of Scots Got What She Deserved" T-shirt to the Tam O'Shanter for next Burn's Night. I'm sure they'll be understanding that it's just me expressing myself.

I hope you carefully remove every cow leather item before eating Indian food.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!

I hope you carefully remove every cow leather item before eating Indian food.

But cow leather shoes or a belt wouldn't be blatantly "in your face" like what Art joked about wearing and what some of us feel Beyoncé is doing. I think a more accurate comparison (to this situation) would be to go into an Indian restaurant wearing the linked cowhide shirt and pants with pictures of steak on them.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
I think one can support another's spiritual quest without buying into the premise behind it. I think what she did was a publicity stunt.

I don't want to derail this thread but I think the rudest part of this story is the paparazzi that follow celebrities around every time they leave the house, and the gossip rags that publish this junk.  It's a publicity stunt now to leave your own home in clothes?  To eat out?  I frankly try to ignore any of these 'celebrity out in public' stories - it's not our business, they can do what they like.

I agree with you completely.  I feel awful for celebrities who get stalked when trying to live a normal life, and especially for their children who get photographed and criticized by the media.

But I also feel like some celebrities, and Beyonce and Jay-Z are part of this group, are completely into playing the game and thrusting themselves into the limelight as much as possible.  If they want privacy, why did he tweet about his plans for lunch that day?  Why not just do what a normal person does and go out to lunch without a big announcement?

I don't know... A LOT of my Facebook and Twitter friends post exactly that (where they're going to lunch, the fact that they're at a coffeehouse, etc) - at this point I think that is exactly what normal people do :)

True, but most of us aren't celebrities. Especially high-profile ones. Nobody is stalking my nonexistent Twitter account, breathlessly hoping to find out where I ate lunch/bought a lottery ticket/whatever. They are both well aware that they're being followed.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

greencat

Most of us have also not made a public announcement (or had one made about us) that we were going to do follow a certain lifestyle, and then publicly gone out and done the exact opposite.

I think it would be as if Beyonce had announced that she was going to abstain from drinking for a time period to raise awareness of alcoholism, and that Jay-Z would be doing the same, and he was then spotted in public wearing head-to-toe clothing advertising beer and liquor brands.

Hillia

It really looks like she's thumbing her nose at the whole concept:

"Hey, I'll call attention to veganism, especially the moral/ethical aspect of it, by announcing I'm on a spiritual journey!"
"Hey, I'll flaunt everything that moral/ethical aspect stands for by wearing the most anti-vegan clothing I can find!  Ha ha ha!  I'm so edgy! Lookit me!"

I'm embarrassed that I'm buying into her game.  Done with this attention-seeking idiot.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Clearly, some people are offended, and some (like me) are not at all. Beyonce never claimed to be vegan, so I don't see how her attire choice here could be interpreted as hypocritical.  I liked the outfit (the one I saw anyway) and I think it is a bit ridiculous to expect that people entering a vegan restaurant not wear anything that uses animal products. Not even the restaurant itself has such a rule.  I think all of the "it's like she wore X to a Y event" are beside the point because what she did was wear leather and other animal derived materials to a vegan restaurant. I guess I didn't hear that the restaurant itself had an issue with that (I am sure someone will correct me if the restaurant issued a statement). 

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
I've definitely worn leather/suede to vegan restaurants before.  It never even occurred to me not to, or that it would offend anyone, and I pretty much always have leather on me somewhere. 

I've never thought of my clothing as being related to what I was eating, unless the restaurant had a specific dress code. 

I don't see her as rude unless the restaurant itself has a no-animal-products dress code.  I like eating vegan sometimes but that has nothing to do with what I'm wearing.  Even if I ate vegan all the time, it could be for health reasons, or because I disagree with practices done by the meat industry, and not because I disagree with any use of animal products including clothing.

Hillia

Well, the mystery is solved - Beyonce had a new album drop a day or so ago.  She wanted that extra bump of attention before the announcement.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools