Author Topic: Your Favourite 'Tacky' Christmas Song  (Read 4934 times)

Pioneer

Re: Your Favourite 'Tacky' Christmas Song
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2013, 08:57:52 AM »
"I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" has already been nominated.  It is my current favorite -- but I might find another by flagging this post for later! 
"Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." -- Will Rogers

Yarnspinner

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2013, 10:28:03 AM »
I really love Straight No Chaser's version of 12 Days and the Silent Monks Singing Halleluia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCFCeJTEzNU)

This!  This!  This!

tarheel220

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2013, 10:42:24 AM »
"Merry Christmas from the Family" by Montgomery Gentry because sometimes I feel like that describes my family. :D

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2013, 10:50:26 AM »
Jonathan Coulton's "Chiron Beta Prime"

Particularly the ASL version by Stephen Torrence, on whom I have a major crush despite being old enough to be his mother.

Edited because one should spell the name of one's crush correctly.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:08:04 AM by Ms_Cellany »
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

MrTango

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2013, 11:23:05 AM »
Bob Rivers' "Twelve Pains of Christmas."  I listen to it every year while I'm "rigging up the lights."

Also, "A Vist from St. Nicholson" is a "classic" with my family.  We used to have a casette where the A side was a collection of nice, classic Christmas carols, and the B side was a Bob Rivers album.  We'd get through that tape 2-3 times on the way to Grandma's house.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »
I have a fondness for one, much played around Christmastime, that's been around for a few decades -- can give no details, being totally ignorant about the "small print" of popular music -- "Stop the Cavalry".  (Don't know whether this song is as well-known in America, as here in the UK.)  Catchy tune, and poignant sentiments. I long had the vague impression that the song's words were put into the mouth of a reluctant and miserable and frozen German World War II conscript, on the Russian front near the end of the year -- longing for the war to end no matter how, so that he could just go home.  Having recently had the chance for the first time, to listen to the words in detail; I get the picture that it's much more generically, just anti-war.  "Whatever" -- the song strikes a considerable chord with me.

zyrs

• spiffily male.

SCMagnolia

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »
I think we've done this before but without the search feature, I'm starting a new thread.     Someone mentioned 'Christmas Shoes' in another thread and how it makes them want to destroy every copy of it so they never have to hear it again

I used to work at a radio station and I cannot begin to describe just how much I HAAAAAAATE this song.  And wouldn't you know, people would call and request that piece of crap just about non-stop.  Thank Dog it wasn't one of our heavy-rotation Christmas songs, or I might have committed violent crimes for having to listen to it.

I get a kick out of Merry Christmas From the Family.  The Montgomery Gentry version is better than the Dixie Chicks version, IMO.

And I am now quite partial to Hairy Christmas, considering I just saw Luke Bryan singing that with one of the Duck Dynasty guys on TV last week.  Luke could sing the alphabet backwards and I'd just sit and smile.  And drool. 

metallicafan

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2013, 09:50:31 AM »
Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey!

Chip2

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2013, 10:42:19 AM »
A lot of my favorites have already been posted, but I'll throw in The Kinks' "Father Christmas".

And there's a parody of "Little Drummer Boy" called "Little Hooters' Girl". 'Nuff said about that....   8)

daen

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2013, 12:37:02 PM »
I once did a ten-hour road trip just before Christmas, and the only music we had with us (horrifyingly bad planning!) was the Rover's Christmas album. I have a weird fondness now for their version of Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer, but it took two years after the trip before said fondness developed.

I have subsequently done road trips with one of others for that trip. We both make sure we have sufficient music with us, and both of us include Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer on our road trip mix tape/mix CD/playlist.

The only other song I remember offhand from that trip is Merry Bloody Xmas.

Hillia

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2013, 06:42:55 PM »
"Merry Christmas from the Family" by Montgomery Gentry because sometimes I feel like that describes my family. :D

No, no, no.  You have to listen to the *real* version by Robert Earl Keen (he wrote it).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37xPiRz1sg

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2013, 09:43:51 PM »
I heard the 12 Pains of Christmas for the first time of the season today..and I giggle like a goon because that is about what I sound like when I am doing my lights.  Merry Christmas from the Family sounds like some of the stories here!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2013, 10:20:48 PM »
No votes yet for "Oh Come, Oh Come I Read the Manual"?

"Oh Joyce, oh Joyce, your man's not very well,
He wants to do some damage to Mattel."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Peppergirl

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2013, 01:23:54 AM »
"Christmas is the Time to say I Love You", by Billy Squier.  LOVE IT.

Not a tacky song, but unconventional...and by a one (or at most, couple) hit wonder.

Cookies to anyone who remembers him.  ;D